Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Motor Mount - Stock vs upgraded - under car video

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  soulja 
#1 ·
The Z06 uses a very similar rubber based hydraulic engine mount used on the CTS-V. Here is the Z06 stock engine mount. Look familiar?

Here is a YouTube video on the undercar with stock and aftermarket engine mounts (Pfadt Engineering - makes a lot of Corvette items). The brand does not matter and the concept is identical to our cars. Under load, the engine and powertrain movement is enough to cause issues downstream on the powertrain. The engine movement is not simply side to side, but front the back, as well, which can increase pinion loads and drivetrain thrash.

I really noticed the difference when I switched out the motor mounts on mine to the ones 2003RC1 built (the black ones). Easier to shift, no odd driveline clunks at low speeds, awesome downshifts and less drama when the wheels do hop a little. Sure, there is certainly extra vibration, which was a big shock at first compared to the stock ones, but, over time, you really start liking the feel. I feel more plugged into what the car is doing since it feels less rubbery and it's kinda cool.

See less See more
1 1
#5 ·
Yeah, I am planning on purchasing some motor mounts. I can't decide if I want the UUC's or the Creative Steels. I wonder will the UUC be the best of both worlds: Stiffer hold than stock, but less vibration than Creative Steel?

#6 · (Edited)
Creative Steel will be releasing a softer version with a vibration transfer that is more akin to the stock motor mounts. But, as always, the balance between performance and comfort in a car is a personal decision. Some hate the mushy, rubbery feel of the CTS-V in stock form and others will detest any additional road noise or vibration entering the driver cabin. My guage is to move about 50% more toward the performance side :)

#7 ·
That would be great! Any idea of an approximate date? :thumbsup:

#11 ·
Hey everybody, we have some coincidences going on here. I haven't checked in to the forum for a few days, and it's crazy that when I do "check in" you guys are talking about the very mounts that I've been working on.
These new mounts are a bit trickier to build than our current mounts. The new ones required some tooling that needed to be laser cut and formed, so I subbed that work out to another shop. They gave their guys a ton of time off for the holidays (which is actually cool if you ask me), which slowed production a bit. It's all good now though, I picked up the parts yesterday and will be working on the today, Saturday, while no one is at the shop. I love it down there when it's quiet.

I will give more details later,but right now I need to pay attention to what the wife is saying. Wish me luck, Max

#12 ·
Thanks for the update Motormounts. BTW, how much will these softer mounts cost for a set?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.