: I guess I should post this now...

Stingroo
01-07-10, 05:41 PM
It's confirmed, my Fleetwood needs headgaskets. It's way out of my price range. So unfortunately, he's got to go. :( Never fear though, I'll still hang around. I've been here for six months without officially driving a Cadillac... why stop now? :)

I actually may still end up with one after all, though. I'm currently toying with three cars that I've found on Craigslist. One of them is down in South Florida, and the other two are local here in Jax.

One is a '94 Deville (It should have a 4.9, if I'm not mistaken?), the other is a '98 Park Avenue Ultra (I can be like Chad, but more comfortable!), and the third is an '86 Cutlass Supreme (non-Brougham) with a cool-looking custom interior, and no tacky 20+ inch wheels (and my personal favorite choice of the three, for sentimental reasons that have been discussed here a few times :D).

jayoldschool
01-07-10, 06:27 PM
Gaskets are cheap, labor is expensive. Fix it yourself!

Stingroo
01-07-10, 06:35 PM
Tools are expensive too...

jayoldschool
01-07-10, 07:28 PM
Just need a socket set. Not expensive at Harbor Freight. You going to make Dave and I drive there to fix it? lol

Stingroo
01-07-10, 07:43 PM
That'd be a long drive for you... not so much for Dave. lol

Eh.. I don't know man. I want to fix it, but I have no idea where to even begin. I was told that the car could be royally messed up because the water's been in the block for awhile, etc. etc.

Bro-Ham
01-07-10, 07:52 PM
Sting, you are the most unbelievable quitter I've ever seen! In fact, you're not even a starter to even be a quitter! :) Jay, let me know when you want to do it. Thursdays are out of the question, totally flexible otherwise. I'll mix the drinks, hand you tools, and keep you company while you twist the wrench. Someone has to make this happen and it might as well be us! :) :) :) Dave

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-07-10, 08:01 PM
Hell, I'll come down and help as well, just provide me with a place to crash for a few nights and its doable.

Bro-Ham
01-07-10, 08:03 PM
OK, So here comes the cavalry! :)

Stingroo
01-07-10, 08:04 PM
Ahh... you guys are gonna drive me to drink...

In all seriousness, hypothetically speaking if this were real, I'd have to wait until I got my refund check from school, and for the parts to come in, etc. That'd be mid-february. lol

It would be kind of funny though... Florida Meet 2010 - Sting's House + Jax

:lol:

Bro-Ham
01-07-10, 08:29 PM
What's your budget Sting? What are we talking about? I live close but I'm hardly a mechanic but I'm one mean bartender and can be funny to be with after a few drinks. :) This is pretty much in my neighborhood so it's not out of the question for me to be there. For you northern guys this is a nice field trip for this time of the year and I'd sure love to see all your cars - especially that light blue Brougham!!! Spring break maybe? Plus, Sting's car deserves to be resurrected. And Sting seems to be a good guy and worth our going the extra mile. If you ever thought of sending money to save the poor children in the commercials, or the poor neglected pets, feel sorry for Sting instead because he's a car guy in need of his car being actually driveable. I think Sting needs a lesson in getting by with a little help from his friends and also to show him to never give up, never look back, and to always look forward. Who's drinking what? I'm bringing my 2 beagles, by the way. :)

Stingroo
01-07-10, 08:36 PM
If you're dead serious, my budget is approx. $1600, or, if I can get a hold of financial aid in time, add $2500 to that thanks to the American Opportunity Tax Credit. I know I can afford it, even from a shop, but it's insurance AFTER the shop is done that would kill it for me. I need to keep at least $1600 free to register and insure it in my own name. It could be cheaper if I put it in a parent's name, but I don't want to do that. I've been a kid long enough, you know?

We have 4 dogs in the house, by the way. One purebred pit that wouldn't hurt a fly, a pit/lab mix that's just a goofy little puppy, a pit/lab/boxer mix that's a 40 pound lap dog, and a purebred miniature pinscher who is rotten to the core, lol.

Bro-Ham
01-07-10, 08:46 PM
Sting, I wouldn't dream of imposing on you for being the local inn. I'm always game for a road trip. Hell, I'd drive to Canada if it was for a good cause to help a deserving car guy. Remember, I'm not a mechanic so I'm not showing up to do the wrenching. Moral support, ego boosting, fun - that's my forte'. :) If I'm reading what Jay-son is saying I don't think you're going to need thousands. Just the know-how of the guys who have the expertise.

Stingroo
01-07-10, 08:48 PM
No, no. I mean while you're around. Your dogs may not gel with our dogs. Though they probably would, lol.

Bro-Ham
01-07-10, 08:53 PM
I see - my dogs are almost 13. They are facilitators and don't bark or get excited. Give them a martini or two in their water dish and a cigarette or two and they can entertain themselves. :) All part of the fun! Who's in on this gig?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-07-10, 09:00 PM
Headgaskets gone bad? Who the hell stuck a Northstar in your Fleetwood? :lol:

Stingroo
01-07-10, 09:05 PM
LOL Chad.

Careful, if this doesn't pan out, I'll be your vehicular cousin -- I've got a line on a '95 Riviera S/C and a '98 Park Ave. Ultra with literally every option there is. >_>

Bro-Ham
01-07-10, 09:10 PM
Forget the doggies - mine can go to a puppy resort although they love riding in the Cad! Here's a youtube vid of them in the car
YouTube- Beagles Cede & Einstein riding in our 1979 Cadillac deVille

jayoldschool
01-07-10, 09:14 PM
Headgaskets gone bad? Who the hell stuck a Northstar in your Fleetwood?

Best line ever.

Sting, want me to check with the Impala guys to see if there is anyone in Jax that wants to do it for you? Also, you said "headgaskets" (plural). V8s don't often blow both gaskets. What exactly did you find out from the shop?

Stingroo
01-07-10, 09:15 PM
Your dogs are awesome! lol

Stingroo
01-07-10, 09:16 PM
The car isn't in Jax. It's in Stuart.

And to answer your other question, I'll have to talk to my dad when he gets back home next week.

Bro-Ham
01-07-10, 09:18 PM
Does Dad have a cell phone? Give him a buzz now and find out... :) :)

Stingroo
01-07-10, 09:21 PM
He does, but he's at my grandmother's, and she lives in the middle of nowhere, Florida, so he gets no service, and she's asleep.

Bro-Ham
01-07-10, 09:28 PM
Lame, I'm losing enthusiasm for you StingOrange. I think you may be driving a Buick like Chad. How about an Astro instead? :) That's what you'll be driving if you're not driving the charge to make things happen. Liberace' would be proud if you'd step up my friend.

Stingroo
01-07-10, 09:32 PM
Hey... we owned an Astro too at one point. LOL

I need the money first. It will be in my possession in early-to-mid February.

greencadillacmatt
01-08-10, 01:09 AM
ROAD TRIP!!!
(cracks knuckles loudly and grabs coat)

Seriously, dude. Spring break 2010. Dave will be there mixing drinks, I'll bring my socket set, and I'm sure some more of the guys on here will be more than happy to visit sunny Florida with me to help a Cadillac driver in need. I'm dead serious, too. Spring break this year. We can organize something together. It's only $193.43 for the FelPro head-gasket set and new head-bolts on RockAuto.com. So (like stated earlier) parts are cheap. And labor is cheaper if we all think we're on vacation...

RooFest, 2010. Be There! (and bring tools)

csbuckn
01-08-10, 01:25 AM
RooFest, 2010. Be There! (and bring tools)

This may have more potential then half the meets planned here. Especially with Bro-Ham as the bartender and Jay as the teacher.

We were just talking about moving to Florida today. Sting, your car is gorgous and I refuse to believe the gasket is gone. Did they do a compression test?

HAZZARDJOHN
01-08-10, 01:47 AM
Lame, I agree do it yourself or join a local FL. Impala SS club, I guarantee that they will help you. The Guys in MinneSSota have helped me so much over the years. Head gasket on a LT1 is pretty easy, I could strip it down in a couple hours, I have a tough time setting Valve lash though so I always have someone do that for me.

~HJ

greencadillacmatt
01-08-10, 01:47 AM
Yes, I know, I'm not Stingroo. Many of you know him on this part of the forum. He's always there with a helpful comment, or just something random and hilarious. Well, his '94 Fleetwood is in a bad way. According to a thread just launched by him, it needs head gaskets. He doesn't have the money or the know-how to fix it himself. What he does have is the Cadillac Forums at his disposal. What I'm proposing we do is have a meet in Stuart, Florida during spring break this year. I don't even know if he would be on board with this, but if he were to supply the parts, then couldn't we all fix his car with him? I figure a day or two to fix the Caddy, and then we could all go around and see the sights. There are six hotels in Stuart, and plenty of restaurants in the area. It's even close to the ocean! I figure some of us could drive or fly down for a few days, help a fellow enthusiast out, and have a great little vacation. How about it guys? My spring break is March 8-14th, but I can take off pretty much whenever from work to make this work. Post if you are interested, what tools you could bring, and when you are available. Thanks guys, and Sting, don't give up on that car yet! :thumbsup:

77CDV
01-08-10, 01:48 AM
Wish I was a bit closer. This is one party I'd like to be in on.

Stingroo
01-08-10, 07:10 AM
Well, I happen to know my spring break is the week of March 15th...

Also, stop the presses! I called my dad and asked what was up, he told me his old friend came over and stopped and looked at the car, but he didn't do the compression test. I detect fail.

So, in February when I get my check, I'll spend the $50 to tow it to the actual shop, so he can test it and be sure. There may be hope after all. :D (Cause hey... even though the Fleetwood is about $200 more to insure than the Riviera I looked at, it's still $2100 cheaper in the car-buying department lol)

However, if you guys seriously even just want to come hit up FL anyway (or possibly still help, I'm still in shock at the positive response lol), maybe we can organize something fun like a small track day at PBIR (formerly moroso motorsports park), or find an auto museum or something... and even Sal could come up, he's only 30 miles to the south.

Stingroo
01-08-10, 07:26 AM
My break is the week after yours :(

outsider
01-08-10, 10:24 AM
Florida is a bit far away for me, but I could donate a few bucks to the cause.

outsider
01-08-10, 10:24 AM
Florida is too far for me to travel but I could donate a few bucks for the cause

EndlessRyd
01-08-10, 10:50 AM
I wish I could get down to Florida to help you out... but seriously, dont give up. Fix it! I did my first head gasket last year, and I have never really did anything except brakes and oil changes. I really had no clue on what I was doing, or if it would even work when I turned the key after I put it all together! I ordered a manual on ebay and just followed it step by step and labeled everything. I managed to do it in my spare time, and was done in about 3 weeks. It wasnt a Caddy, but a 89 Saab 900, and parts are really tough to find, and the head bolts had to be shipped from Sweeden... so it probably could have been done a lot quicker if I had parts available. The only way to learn is to DO IT! Dont buy something else... at least you know what you have with this car... the one you buy could have a million things wrong with it. Just my opinion.

Bro-Ham
01-08-10, 10:52 AM
I'm willing to help, Sting, if you're willing to be helped. It's clear a number of people are interested in assisting you and ready to go to great lengths to do so. I'm not convinced you're as willing to make the same sacrifices to make repairs to your own car. If you're serious you need to stop putting up roadblocks and show us you're farsighted in your vision to do whatever it takes to coordinate this project and make it happen with enthusiasm. Before I travel even just a few hours for this I'd need to know for sure you're on board to invest your blood, sweat, and tears to get your Floatwood on the road again. Sometimes I feel more emtionally invested in your car than you. There is potential here for a tremendous opportunity for you, Sting. Prove to me you're a superstar and get cracking! :)

Stingroo
01-08-10, 10:54 AM
No way. I'm in. I'm calling financial aid right now to see if I can get copies of my loan statements. If I can get that, I can hitch a ride with a friend to H&R block and get my taxes done, then I'll have $2500 (minus whatever fee they charge for doing it, I can't see it being more than $100 though).

I'll call a tow company myself and have the car at another shop for a second opinion within a week of recieving my money.

Be sure to bring some bacardi, my dad loves it. :thumbsup:

Stingroo
01-08-10, 10:55 AM
South Portland... man I miss Kennebunk, Maine. :(

Bro-Ham
01-08-10, 10:59 AM
Be sure to bring some bacardi, my dad loves it. :thumbsup:

Wait a second StingO! I thought the 2 grand was for the booze budget for this event?!?!

Stingroo
01-08-10, 11:06 AM
LOL

Well I don't drink... so that's not my thing.

EndlessRyd
01-08-10, 11:14 AM
When yall do this it might be a good idea to bring a digital camera and take pics of the process and post them with step by step instructions on what to do. This will be helpful to others who may have this problem. Someone on the Saab site did this, and it was a HUGE help for me when I did mine. Just another thought.

Stingroo
01-08-10, 11:28 AM
I have two cameras to cover that with... and I can take long videos on my phone thanks to the 16gb memory card.

9ine3reefleet
01-08-10, 12:51 PM
Dont know to much about cars, but you and the others have helped me so freagin much that I woudnt mind coming to Florida. Not sure when spring break is for my school yet but even if I have to wait for the weekend and come fro a cup of days, I could be there. My car hasnt been a road trip yet since I got her so that would be perfect timing. I could also help with the drinks, I do drink Cognac, preferably Hennessey, but seriously I could be there for whatever. Hell its Florida and I dont think JAX is too far from me.

Stingroo
01-08-10, 12:58 PM
Well the car isn't in Jax. I am. I'm up here at college, the car's in Stuart, 254 miles south of Jax via I-95.

9ine3reefleet
01-08-10, 01:04 PM
Well the car isn't in Jax. I am. I'm up here at college, the car's in Stuart, 254 miles south of Jax via I-95.

hmm... did a mapquest and its almost a 9 hr trip. I would have to get a driving buddy since I hate driving but I think its still doable.

What trip times are every1 else looking at?

Stingroo
01-08-10, 01:24 PM
That discussion's going on in RooFest 2010 thread, apparently. lol

csbuckn
01-08-10, 02:06 PM
this thread has so much more info, maybe we could name this one Roofest. I gotta admit, I can drink with the best of them and life becomes sooo much more fun under the influence!! So is this a guys night out or are wifeys alowed? The car would take a couple days and the rest for partying!! I see this happening. Might as well have a big florida furoms meet.

Stingroo
01-08-10, 02:15 PM
Sounds good to me. I still like my idea of seeing how much PBIR would cost for a group session. There's a drag strip, and a road course (though our Caddy's aren't really road course material, but if this becomes a legit forum meet, the CTS guys might like).

jayoldschool
01-08-10, 02:30 PM
Sting, how far from 33324?

Stingroo
01-08-10, 02:32 PM
82 miles north of there. That's about where I used to live.

Bro-Ham
01-08-10, 02:44 PM
157 miles from my place

Stingroo
01-08-10, 02:45 PM
For reference, my zip is 34997.

About 30 miles north of West Palm.

greencadillacmatt
01-08-10, 03:18 PM
So, is there some possibility that this may actually happen? This could be a great forum meet/vacation/Cad-Fixing event. I'm all in for it if we go ahead and do this. Yeah, I figure a few days for fixing the Fleetwood, and Sting, great idea about the motorsports park! We could do that, and maybe a trip to the beach, or any number of other cool things. I was doing some research about the Stuart area last night, and there are six hotels (even a best western, if you are budget-concerned like me) right in Stuart! There are also plenty of restaurants right in that area. This could be a great meet for people that want to get away from the cold, meet the people behind the monitors, and get a Classic running again. If you are all for this, I'm in! Sting, let us know what's up!
PS: I'm about 1362 miles from there (according to MapQuest) and I will be driving all the way!

greencadillacmatt
01-08-10, 03:22 PM
Hey Moderators, could we merge this thread with the "I Guess I Should Post This Now" thread? Pretty please? Thanks if possible! :)

Stingroo
01-08-10, 03:28 PM
I'm in. I called dad and told him I wanted a second opinion, and when he asked why, I told him about this thread. He agreed, so the car will be towed out around February 3rd. If not then, then the week I get my refund check from the university (should be the week after that). So it gives us roughly a month to plan things out, and then find out what's wrong, and a month for parts to arrive.

Best part, is that insurance isn't really breaking the bank either. Somehow, Allstate so far has given me the best rate, $865 for 6 months paid in full. If anyone has any other suggestions for companies, shoot 'em here. Already tried all the other major ones, they were all more expensive.

So it looks like right now, I have $1900 in my student account I'll get back, but I suspect I'll need to use another $200 of that on books (it blows, I know). So I'll have about $900 after insurance, and a new tag is $490, so I'll have ~$500 after that. Plus my tax refund of roughly ~$1100 (apparently, according to H&R Block's estimator thing).

After some thought, I looked up the gasket set on RockAuto, with bolts it's under $200. Or, if FleetwoodGuy is right, the radiator is also under $200. Worst case scenario would be both of those things, so roughly $400 in parts. Still gives me $700 cash to play with, and no insurance payment. Plenty of money to drive back to Jax, look for a part time job, and have loads of fun.

Awwww yeeah.

And seriously. SERIOUSLY, I want to thank everyone on this forum. Even though nothing's happened yet, even considering it is incredible. You guys really are car guys... hopefully I'll be able to give back to you all someday, or to the forum (oh, you can bet I'll chop out some of that $700 for a year's supporting membership. <3 CF)

Maybe some window tint afterwards too... :D

jayoldschool
01-08-10, 03:28 PM
I knew it didn't need "headgaskets". No sense in planning anything, boys, until Sting stops screwing around and finds out what is actually wrong with the car. We can't fix it until we know what is wrong with it. And believe, me, if I am giving up a day of vacation in Ft. Laud, I will be wrenching fast with no time for trouble shooting :D

Sting, I know it has been talked about in four thousand other threads, but refresh out memories... what is wrong with your car?

Stingroo
01-08-10, 03:29 PM
LOL Jay. I like the way you think.

Bro-Ham
01-08-10, 03:55 PM
I'm in on the gig, if there ever is one, even just to provide moral support. Let's PRAY this car gets running so when all the other stuff breaks later on the car at least StingO will have been mobile long enough to have a taste of vehicular freedom to hopefully kick him in his butt to not again let things drag on (and on and on and on and on and on). :) We could make a pretty good soap opera about all the drama of this car and the orange loving owner of it.

Stingroo
01-08-10, 04:11 PM
LOL Hey... that's not fair. :( I've been waiting for my money through most of it. Not my fault. lol

Bro-Ham
01-08-10, 04:29 PM
You and your downer faces... :( You're beginning to sound like the dude with the 64 coupe deville who couldn't stop feeling sorry for himself. Turn your frown upside down, decide you're going to make something happen and do it - whatever it takes!!!! :)

Stingroo
01-08-10, 05:07 PM
No no, trust me... TRUST ME we are not the same at all.

For evidence, view the lounge. lol

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-08-10, 06:13 PM
Sting, again what is wrong with your car? Does it run or turn over at all. I'm just kinda confused cause you gotta try real hard to blow a headgasket on an LT-1.

Stingroo
01-08-10, 06:33 PM
I don't know. I still need to buy a battery for it. They found water in the oil, that's as far as I know.

I'm basically considering the first assessment a moot point, fleetwoodguy has told me it could be a radiator because of the oil cooler, not a head gasket anyway. I'm really praying for that... or I don't even know at this point.

jayoldschool
01-08-10, 06:44 PM
Ok. Here's my honest take on things. Let the car sit until you are done school this year. Don't blow all your (the government's) money on the car. Go home when you are done school, and start to work on the car. Get a job so you can buy some tools and parts. Figure out what is wrong with it, and decide if you should fix it, or sell it as is.

Stingroo
01-08-10, 07:06 PM
My (the school's) and governments. :P

I'm kind of thinking that too, but it's really hard to get a job without transportation up here. So it's pretty much a catch 22 for me. No car = no job. No job = no car unless I act in this window. It's suckage.

thefleetwoodguy
01-08-10, 07:12 PM
I don't know. I still need to buy a battery for it. They found water in the oil, that's as far as I know.

I'm basically considering the first assessment a moot point, fleetwoodguy has told me it could be a radiator because of the oil cooler, not a head gasket anyway. I'm really praying for that... or I don't even know at this point.

water in oil not good,
oil in coolant only, would be the oil cooler
since oil pressure is higher then coolant
pressure the oil wins out and seeps into
coolant,

Stingroo
01-08-10, 07:16 PM
No, it's definitely water in the oil. I saw that when I looked at it last over Christmas break, that's why I was considering something else.

Bro-Ham
01-08-10, 08:47 PM
Sting, Ask the Fleetwood Guy really, really nicely if he has an extra engine laying around for your car that he may consider fedexing down to you so everyone can come over and stick it in your car for you so you're not on foot any more. :)

csbuckn
01-08-10, 08:52 PM
Hey hey hey, we're loosing focus here. I need a tan.

Stingroo
01-08-10, 08:53 PM
lol Dave, I wish.

csbuck, I hope Florida warms up in March then... it's been in the 40s here the last two weeks.

Bro-Ham
01-08-10, 09:10 PM
CS, I think you should come to Florida anyway! :) Sting, I think you need to poo or get off the pot with this boat anchor you have. It's doing you no good to have this broken car that we keep talking and talking about. I say get an EXPERT diagnosis so you know what exactly the hell is the matter so you can either get it fixed or shoot the thing and put it out of its misery and have the Fleetwood Guy chop it into thousands of itty bitty pieces that he can sell to other Fleetwood owners in need. The bottom line is this situation is wearing me out I don't know about you. There are enough people who want to come to your rescue because they want the entertainment of an auto repair field trip adventure to the sunshine state. This is your ideal window of opportunity. One more thing, where are all the pictures of this car that you keep promising us?

Stingroo
01-08-10, 09:19 PM
You seem to forget though, Dave... I'm almost 300 miles away from the car. I have to wait until I can go south, and that's at very specific times of the year. Until then, you've got to take a page out of your own book -- grab a martini and relax, friend. I'm working on it. That's all I can say.

As for the pictures, I plain old forgot. It hasn't moved anywhere anyway, except to the other side of the driveway.

Bro-Ham
01-08-10, 09:26 PM
All I can say is you have a lot more patience than me...

hearseman
01-08-10, 09:31 PM
I like the attitude of this forum! Hey..I guess if the engine is shot, I could drive down in my hease, we could load it in the back, and have a funeral : )

Stingroo
01-08-10, 09:37 PM
Dave, I held my driver's permit for three and a half years before I was able to get a full license. Patience is a virtue, my friend. :)

Hearseman (wow, I really hope I learn your first name sometime, that really will sound awkward in the future), I like the way you think too. lol

Bro-Ham
01-08-10, 09:46 PM
Hearseman - great idea! I love it!!!!! :) :) :)

Sting, you'll probably start to find out, if you haven't already, how true a classic saying of old will become your self fulfilling prophecy: good things may come to those who wait, but only the things left over by those who hustle! By the way, I had my driver's license the day of my 16th. birthday. I wasn't going to wait any longer than I had to in order to see the USA in my Chevrolet - well actually my 77 Olds 98 Regency! :)

Stingroo
01-08-10, 09:49 PM
I got my permit at 15 by taking driver's education at my high school, but I couldn't take the license test because we didn't have a car with legal tags and insurance.... Having no money in the family at all sort of slows everything down.

Bro-Ham
01-08-10, 10:05 PM
StingO, You seem to wait for things to fall in your lap rather than figuring out ways to make them happen. Exceptional positive people with drive will always find jobs and ways to make money. What future do you choose? I'm not feeling sorry for you. :)

Stingroo
01-08-10, 10:18 PM
I never asked you, or anyone else here to. I'm just being sensible. I don't see what's wrong with that. Maybe it's just me.

Bro-Ham
01-08-10, 10:26 PM
Sting, I like you, I think everyone on our forum likes you. I'm hopeful of seeing some results after all the talking in circles we've done with this Cad of yours. You have me curious to see the fade out scene with this car and I'm simply trying to push, poke, and prod you to get your show on the road! :)

Stingroo
01-08-10, 10:39 PM
Well, we'll see. I can't really say much more. Personally, I like the car too, I always have, but if something else I like comes along, I'll jump on it. Like you say, figure out how to make things happen.

Besides, if I get another car, that doesn't mean the FWB disappears. I could do like jay suggests and just get my own tools down the line. I've got 3 and a half more years to live on this campus, so I need a car soon no matter what, I need a way to get my things back home for summer, after all.

Angry Matt
01-08-10, 10:44 PM
Florida has got to have good flea markets, right? I've bought so many tools for a buck here and a buck there I don't even know what I've got anymore. Do yourself a favor and become familiar with the markets, you'll save a ton. Buy old craftsman for next to nothing and trade them in at sears for new on their lifetime guarantee.

Stingroo
01-08-10, 10:50 PM
Now that's a helpful tip! No reciept needed for that? That's awesome.

jayoldschool
01-08-10, 11:04 PM
Sting, get a job at one of the parts places. Carquest, Advance, Pep Boys, etc. Make money, and get discount on parts and tools. Learn lots about cars. My first job was on the parts counter when I was 16 ;)

Stingroo
01-08-10, 11:07 PM
I'd love a job like that, lol. I wonder what's around in Jax. I haven't really checked here, but at home I applied at a few places last summer, just nothing panned out.

*checks*

csbuckn
01-08-10, 11:09 PM
no reciept needed. walk in with the tool, they grab the new one off the shelf(same or better), walk out with new tool. One of the greatest feats in automotive history.

Stingroo
01-08-10, 11:22 PM
That is sheer awesomeness. I am definitely going on a flea market spree over summer then. I could probably end up with a good set or wrenches and sockets for ~$100 or so. New tools are awesomeness.

csbuckn
01-09-10, 12:25 AM
Then, when you get that job, tell them you have a brother in MN that needs that discount card also!! We kinda look alike, right?

greencadillacmatt
01-09-10, 02:32 AM
And your "twin brother" in Michigan! :highfive:
(reaches for fake mustache...)

Stingroo
01-09-10, 12:23 PM
Hmm... now HERE'S an idea:

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/1544631555.html

Aren't the '93's basically 90-92's with 350's, and new Fleetwood bodies?

greencadillacmatt
01-09-10, 03:52 PM
I think that the only real difference between the 93's and the 94-96's is the engine. The 93's don't have the LT1. And yes, I think that they all came with 350's. Not as powerful, but still, Chevy 350!

Stingroo
01-09-10, 04:21 PM
Well, yeah, that's what I meant, the 350 from the 90-92 instead of the LT1.. but otherwise it's the same car, right? I can afford that, and insure it with no problem... and possibly knock a couple hundred off his price. :)

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-09-10, 04:36 PM
The LT-1's are WAY more powerful than the standard 350 in the '90-'93 cars. Brian's (90Brougham350) '94 Fleetwood Brougham with 176k miles ran a 15.33 quarter in Iowa a few years ago. That's pretty fast, faster than my Mark VII in fact, which runs a mid 15 stock. My Brougham on the other hand ran like a 17.5 brand new (there is a motor trend article online I found once), and I have the towing package with higher rear end gearing. Its powerful, but far, far from fast. My dad's E-150 cargo van can outrun it.

Stingroo
01-09-10, 05:59 PM
Well that's fine to me... fast is cool and all, but I'd get into major trouble with something really quick. I think that car appeals to me because it's large, comfortable, and able to hold all of my stuff.

9ine3reefleet
01-10-10, 11:12 AM
Sting, I like you, I think everyone on our forum likes you. I'm hopeful of seeing some results after all the talking in circles we've done with this Cad of yours. You have me curious to see the fade out scene with this car and I'm simply trying to push, poke, and prod you to get your show on the road! :)

I know Im a little late on this but, Bro-ham, chill out guy, and the rest of you who are pushing a little too much. You all are passionate but Sting is in school trying to focus on his 4.0 gpa, getting a job, and a getting back on the road all at the same time. I understand where he's coming from because I too went through the same thing in college with my car, he is far from his car and unless his dad takes initiative and gets started for him. Then its gonna have to sit until spring break because thats the most time he will get off from school until the semester ends.

I honestly dont think Sting was ready for all the positive feedback you guys threw at him (i.e ready to come fix it for him) and through him for a loop. However, I think what he is TRYING TO SAY is GIVE HIM TIME. Hell it wont hurt to start the convo back up in mid Feb or whatever because he will defintiley know whats wrong and will have funds and it will still be enough time to plan for a road trip in March. :cool2:

Bro-ham I know where youre coming from and Sting I know where youre coming from. Sting we're here for ya man. And now that you know how passionate these guys are Im sure you wont take them for granted. By the way, if you dont wanna fix the Lac and want to get another non-cadillac ride (for real for real) be honest and tell us. But please dont beat around the bush, just be honest.

Stingroo
01-10-10, 12:20 PM
Thank you 93. I really don't think fixing it right now is in my best interest with parts, buying tools, etc. or even paying someone else (worse, I assume). However, I'm going to talk to a friend of mine up here and try and get a look at the other '93 that's up here in Jacksonville. If not, I'll probably end up in a non-Cadillac for now. I've got $3k to do everything. Including gas to get back. So yeah...

Bro-Ham
01-10-10, 12:38 PM
Bro-ham, chill out guy, and the rest of you who are pushing a little too much. You all are passionate ... I think what he is TRYING TO SAY is GIVE HIM TIME...

Sting is the king of time, as has made quite apparent. I'm not Sting's daddy although I'd say Sting needs some severe motivational mentoring. :) Like the Al Gore prediction of global flooding/meltdown within 10 years due to global warming - he made the prediction over 5 years ago - I right now predict this Cadillac of Sting's is still talked about and nothing done in 10 years! Prove me wrong - PLEASE! :) :) :) :) OK, so now I'll be patient and start the countdown timer now please. :)

Stingroo
01-10-10, 01:16 PM
Countdown timer is on.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-10-10, 01:23 PM
Here's the timer you asked for:

http://www.2preslex.org/images/sundial0501.jpg

Stingroo
01-10-10, 01:29 PM
That's just wrong. lol

UNCLLUIE
01-10-10, 03:21 PM
Take their advice and set something up. Don't give up too soon!

I let my FWB go after 13 years, and regret it every pothole I hit or have to drive more than me and a passenger!.....They'll never make a car like that again...and mine was just a 93, no LT1, but I still miss her....

Every FWB driver has an obligation, as an American, to try their hardest to keep these beautiful monsters on the road!

And if dog sitters are required to do it, I'm there!

9ine3reefleet
01-10-10, 09:32 PM
Here's the timer you asked for:

http://www.2preslex.org/images/sundial0501.jpg

Now that was the highlight of my evening. LOL.

Stingroo
01-10-10, 10:35 PM
Hilarious, actually. :lol: I'll admit, even I laughed.

greencadillacmatt
01-11-10, 02:47 AM
Dude, if the '93 is finacially viable for you, and it is in decent shape, I'd snatch it up. If it makes you happy, then get it. It will get you on the road faster and it sounds like it will fit you budget. Good luck Sting. That blue on the '93 is niiiiiiiiiice.

Stingroo
01-11-10, 07:43 AM
That's what I'm saying. Plus I get to still hang around here. :D I'll give the guy a call today and talk to him.

Plus, I get to make my sister jealous, her favorite color is blue, and that car's TRIPLE blue. And I get one of those not-so-common anymore Cadillac interior colors. That in itself is awesome. :) Not to mention all the trunk space, etc. that I'd need to fit all my stuff.

Are the '93's still good to tow 5,000 pounds without the V4P option (which would make it 7,000, from what I gather), or is it less without the LT1? Or, how would I check to see if this car has that option? Just out of curiosity.

jayoldschool
01-11-10, 10:10 AM
I'd buy that 93 for 1500, maybe a bit more. Towing will depend on gear ratio, but I'm sure someone here has the 93 owner's manual. In fact, you can probably find it online...

Stingroo
01-11-10, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I'm going to look at it. If it's got the records the ad claims, it might be worth the 19, but if not I'll most likely offer him $1700. I'm sure it'll fly, cash talks. :)

Two more weeks until refund check and tax return, hooray.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-11-10, 03:03 PM
My car has the tow package with the 350 and its good for 5000. That much on a non tow equipped car would be pushing it though. The powertrain is strong enough, but the tow package adds more stability to the car as well. My Brougham has a MASSIVE rear suspension system. I thought I had a picture where you could see the rear sway bar on my car but I don't. It is the size of what is on our 2500 Chevy pickup on the farm, just huge.

Stingroo
01-11-10, 03:09 PM
Oh, well I know the '94 is 5000 pounds, or 7000 with the tow package, I assumed 93 would be the same, but maybe not because of the motor.

77CDV
01-11-10, 03:29 PM
The 1993 catalogue shows a total cargo weight rating for the Fleetwood with trailering package of 7000 lbs (including trailer, passengers, and cargo). The 1993 you're looking at is just like the one pictured in the catalogue--triple dark blue. Very classic and very classy.

As far as whether to purchase the '93, fix up your '94, or do something else, do whatever is in your best financial interest. Although I'd love to see your '94 back on the road, I remember how it is to be young and have far more ambition than money. Whatever you decide, and whatever car you pick, you'll always have a place here. :)

Stingroo
01-11-10, 04:05 PM
Well, my best financial interests look like buying that '93. I could keep the '94 for later, or part it out for more money now. Or maybe Dave could fix it for himself -- he keeps saying he wants a '93-96. We could be car cousins. lol

All I need is for that '93 to still be for sale in 2 and a half weeks, and I'm golden.

That is... unless someone else could find me another dirt_cheap_fleetwood.... (pun intended, of course :))

jayoldschool
01-11-10, 07:55 PM
but if not I'll most likely offer him $1700.

Too high. Remember, this is a BIG, OLD, GAS GUZZLER that no one wants. You only want it because it is "all you can afford". You do not like the car. You do not like Cadillacs. You are embarrassed that you have to buy a car like this. First offer should be in the 1300 range. If you offer 1700, you are going to pay 1800, and the seller knows that. Offer 1300, and the seller instantly realizes that he needs to be happy to get 1500 out of you. Get it? I've done this a few times ;)

Stingroo
01-11-10, 07:58 PM
Fair enough, it is apparent that I have not. LOL

Angry Matt
01-11-10, 08:14 PM
I agree with Jay, most of the time it'll work. Watch "Pawn Stars" to get some ideas.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-11-10, 08:29 PM
Oh yeah, lowball the hell out of the guy and work from there. I bought my Brougham for $3500, but I was willing to pay a little more because of its superior condition, especially for a Chicago car. Keep in mind I bought that to be my toy car, it was not bought out of necessity.

The Lincoln on the other hand I bought for $1500. No rust and most things on it worked, mainly the AC was converted to R-134 already. That was also a little high, but once again a rust free Chicago car is hard to come by so I was willing to spend a little more. Car buying is a skill that takes a while to hone. If you know what you are doing you can get some screaming deals on cars, if not you can get horribly burned.

Stingroo
01-11-10, 09:02 PM
Honestly I'd just be happy if the car comes back with no trouble codes, and service records as detailed as the ad says. Even if I paid 1700 or 1800 for it. It's still well within my car budget.

Stingroo
01-12-10, 09:41 PM
Well, the guy with the blue Brougham posted his ad again, this time asking $1800.

I gave him a call and left a message. I'm going to have a friend take me to go look at it. How do I look up the codes on a '93? Is it with the CC? Or do I need the paper-clip thing?

jayoldschool
01-12-10, 09:50 PM
Either way will work. Just use the CC. You can do it quick without the guy knowing what you are doing.

Stingroo
01-12-10, 09:55 PM
Hopefully I can remember the codes that pop up.. lol I really, REALLY want this car. I'm a sucker for blue interiors... lol

Bro-Ham
01-12-10, 10:01 PM
holding my breath..... :) :) :) Good luck Sting - I don't think I'll believe it if you get it but if the car checks out I hope it works out for you. :) Do your homework before you pull the trigger! :)

Stingroo
01-12-10, 10:03 PM
I am. Never fear. I research every car I look at. How do you think I ended up here? :)

77CDV
01-12-10, 10:24 PM
Best of luck. Hope she's all you could ask for and more.

greencadillacmatt
01-12-10, 10:30 PM
I'm a research junky when it comes to my automobiles. I read almost every scrap of paper I find that even mentions the car in question. I'm also the worlds biggest Craigslist window shopper when it comes to cars. I formulate plans on how to acquire cars that I like, even if there is no possible way I could own them. I found my way here the same way you did, Sting. It was one of the most popular search engine hits!

Stingroo
01-12-10, 10:39 PM
I'm a SERIOUS craigslist window shopper... you have no idea. lol But it helped me research cars that I know are good, and some that I know are bad, even though I really like them (Subaru SVX, anyone?)

Stingroo
01-13-10, 03:48 PM
Hmm... this might turn into a Red vs. Blue thread.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ctd/1547140190.html

Price guru (jay lol), what do you think about that? It doesn't have EVERY factory option (no sunroof I noticed)... but it looks gorgeous. They're also ignorant to the LT1, calling it just a regular 350 (but that was only '93, right? maybe I'm wrong here, who knows).

The blue one would obviously be cheaper for me, but the red... mmmmmmmm. My only gripe is that it's a small used car lot... eh. I think I'd prefer a private seller, but I also think I'd prefer an LT1 to an L05. Curses!

Damn my craigslist habit. Damn it to Hell. :lol:

I don't mean to seem like the over-ambitious kid who looks at everything with four-wheels, because really, I'm not. This city is so huge, much bigger than where I live, I'm not USED to seeing this many cars for sale. Like literally, I've checked two sources and at one point had bookmarked about 12 ad's for vehicles that I liked (five of them were 90-96 Broughams ;)). The gas doesn't scare me, I won't drive it too often, only two or three times a year back and forth to home (about 250 miles each way), so I know I could take it home with one tank each way. I just want something I know I'll like.

Bro-Ham kind of inspired me; there's no reason to peddle around in a car someone hates, especially if better can be found.

77CDV
01-13-10, 06:00 PM
I notice he doesn't mention mileage. That's a big factor right there. It's really a case of what you like balanced against what you can afford. I wouldn't kick either car out of my garage (though I have a strong affection for the blue one).

Stingroo
01-13-10, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I called him on it and he said it was out being detailed, and that he would call me tomorrow about it. I like the blue interior more, though. And I've already spoken to the owner of that car twice and he seems like a pretty decent guy; I asked him to scan copies of some of the earlier service records, just to see how far they really do go back. If those are legit, I think that alone would make me lean toward that car. Completeness is nice.

csbuckn
01-13-10, 06:54 PM
ad was deleted, guess its big blue

Stingroo
01-13-10, 07:01 PM
Oh wow, that was freakin' fast. LOL

Stingroo
01-13-10, 07:03 PM
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/1551426661.html

Update of Big Blue II (I can't, in all good consciousness steal durrk's car's name) with more pictures. I wonder what the driver's seat looks like, and oh no! It needs whitewalls all the way around for sure.

And he's down to $1600. Hmm...

jayoldschool
01-13-10, 07:37 PM
Told you... 1300 buys that car. 1500 if you are in a rush.

Stingroo
01-13-10, 07:43 PM
I'm worried about the amount of time between when I get the check and now though... if it's gone I'm screwed, and there's no way to make the school move faster on it. I don't know what to do now... if I wait, I go crazy, and otherwise... I don't have cash in hand.

This really sucks now.

jayoldschool
01-13-10, 08:31 PM
Relax. If it is gone, there will be other cars to choose from. You know this from shopping.

Stingroo
01-13-10, 09:04 PM
I know, I know. I just like that car. Bleh.

csbuckn
01-13-10, 09:16 PM
If your gauranteed(spell check) the money, maybe you can work something out with him to hold it. Or someone can borrow you the money with some type of agreement. I think you need to call in a favor cause thats one hell of a price.

Stingroo
01-13-10, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I'm going to talk to my Aunt and Uncle. They're like, massively rich (not to sound like I'm only after their money, they're really good people too). I think she'd help me if I could guarantee her payment. And I can. I can show her the statement showing that the school owes me $2100. So I'm going to call her tomorrow.

Bro-Ham
01-13-10, 09:32 PM
Bleh, I don't think this is as likely to happen as Sting's other Cad is to be fixed up. Sorry to rain on the parade. Sting, would you please buy a car that YOU want and not what you think the folks on this forum think you should buy? :)

Stingroo
01-13-10, 09:37 PM
Look at that thing man.. I found it. Look how sweet it is. It's literally everything I want in a car -- it's large, comfortable, and able to easily transport all of my stuff. It doesn't get any more Rootastic.

It reminds me, in a way, of the Cutlass with it's blue exterior and interior. If I can get my hands on it, I'll even get a vanity plate to match what the Cutlass wore. I remember the plate number of that car, that's how ingrained in my head it is. This is almost as cool, in my eyes, and a really, REALLY close second at that. That IS a car I want. :)

I mean, really, I don't have this ungodly desire to go fast. I like your philosophy better -- cruise the beach, have fun, and have a good root beer float (I'm of course not of age to be consuming martinis ;))

HUF
01-13-10, 10:28 PM
Bleh, I don't think this is as likely to happen as Sting's other Cad is to be fixed up. Sorry to rain on the parade. Sting, would you please buy a car that YOU want and not what you think the folks on this forum think you should buy? :)

EXACTLY! Sting, I think you want that blue Fleetwood! :)

77CDV
01-14-10, 12:21 AM
Do what you can, Sting, but don't fall on the spoon if it sells before you can get the money. BTW, the car has whites all the way around, they just need a good scrubbing.

The-Dullahan
01-14-10, 12:21 AM
If you weren't 135 miles away, I know some great, down to earth mechanics who could possibly do you a favor.

I know what it's like. My Caddy has been going in and out of the garage since I got her. One thing at a time and very little budget.

How much are they charging for Headgasket replacement? My guess is the kit couldn't POSSIBLY be over 90 dollars, but labor will be intensive and slow, thus costing more.

Stingroo
01-14-10, 10:41 PM
Sad. :( The Blue Brougham is sold.

I'm presently enjoying the thought of this, though:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=266116121&dealer_id=57285308&car_year=1994&rdm=1263330703394&lastStartYear=1981&num_records=25&systime=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=25&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=32211&advanced=&end_year=2011&doors=&transmission=&max_price=2000&cardist=9&standard=false

csbuckn
01-14-10, 11:35 PM
Not bad...for a lincoln! Maybe you should read some post on a lincoln forum to see what to look for. Got low miles. I gotta admit though, you are finding some good deals

Stingroo
01-15-10, 12:28 AM
Yeah, I'm doing my hunting as best that I can...

Basically, here are my criteria:

1. Something American
2. Under 150k miles (the 149k Brougham was probably the closest I'd get to 150, only because it looked so good. Still sad about it, but I kind of expected it to be gone anyway)..
3. Has a hitch, or at least the power to pull a trailer in the future (I've got pretty much what it takes to fill a small apartment, sans big furniture)
4. Preferably, has a V8 (a nice Cherokee with the 4.0 would be an exception to that... not much else really)
5. $2000 or less

Now that the blue Brougham is gone, I've got 3 weeks to hunt. That red '94 is TOP TOP TOP of my list, because it's sexy as all hell. I'll be watching it for price drops... or, since it's a dealer, I can always walk in with a stack of cash and wave it around if need be... even if it stays at $2500, I highly doubt he'd have much problem with a sold cash offer.... The dealership with that Mark said he'd be willing to work with me, because I explained about my money coming and how it's working, so I'm definitely going to take a look at it. I sort of already know what to expect from it, driving wise (we owned a '91 Grand Marquis with the 5.0 for awhile, I learned to drive in snow in that car) but I assume the Mark would be quicker.

The plot thickens!

Stingroo
01-15-10, 01:16 AM
Can't edit, but hmm... this is in my home town:

http://treasure.craigslist.org/ctd/1544453752.html

'92 would make it a 4.9 STS... it'd be pretty nice to ride around in. May have Dad stop in and take a look and a drive of that for me.

77CDV
01-15-10, 03:03 AM
Hey, Sting, how about waiting until you actually have funds available instead of torturing yourself over cars you don't yet have the means to buy? I'll swear it might be less frustrating that way. :)

Stingroo
01-15-10, 07:25 AM
True, lol. Curse you Craigslist (yet thank you Craig, oh the irony).

Bleh. Off to History class. 8am classes should be made illegal somehow on Fridays.

77CDV
01-15-10, 02:32 PM
I've long been of the opinion that mornings would be best if they started around noon.

Stingroo
01-15-10, 02:36 PM
No no, I like mornings. I just don't like CLASS in the morning.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-15-10, 05:28 PM
I can guarantee that STS (even though they have it labeled as an SLS, it has no hood ornament) has a crapload of miles on it. They all do and I would never buy one of those with over 100k. They like to eat transmissions.

As for the Lincoln, it will be most comfortable but before you buy make sure you do a thorough check of the air suspension. Look for dry rotted hoses and bags because it is very, very expensive to fix.

Stingroo
01-15-10, 05:34 PM
STS: 212k. PASS.

Lincoln... I'll remember that. Thanks for the tip.

The RMW in the other thread... is a possibility. The guy seemed like he was in no hurry to sell, and he's willing to drive to our house tomorrow so dad can look at it.

Stingroo
01-20-10, 01:18 PM
Bit of an update:

The guy with the RMW came to the house and dad gave it a good look over and test drive. It's got 10x,xxx miles (I don't remember what dad said, I want to say 103 but I could be wrong). He says the rust by the vista roof is surface rust; and it has minor holes near the door frame, and the door frame near the hatch, but I don't think it would be too much to have fixed?

The guy also expressed interest in the Cadillac, knowing that it doesn't run, Dad told him $700 and he seemed okay with that. So I could trade the Caddy + $900 for that RMW. Good deal, I think. :) I had dad take pictures of the bad and the good, and he said he did, so I'll be seeing those soon-ish. He also was okay with waiting until I got my check. :D

77CDV
01-20-10, 06:11 PM
Patching rust holes is easy. Fixing any damage done behind the panels from the moisture seeping in and sitting over time, that's another story. I think you can do much better for $1600.

Also, I have to plead ignorance: what's an RMW?

Stingroo
01-20-10, 06:12 PM
Roadmaster Wagon. Plenty of space to hold all of my college belongings, and still V8 fun. :)

77CDV
01-20-10, 06:14 PM
Ah, yes, very nice cars indeed. I'd still hold out for one without the rust.

Stingroo
01-20-10, 06:16 PM
Even for $900 w/103k miles? Would it really be that much of a pain? I'm sort of thinking in my head that low miles would offset the rust issue, no?

Or worst case scenario, I find it a new hatch. It's white, so it's not like a rare color or anything and then just patch the doorframe spot.

I could be wrong though, opinions are good.

77CDV
01-20-10, 06:34 PM
$1600. Remember, you're sacrificing the FWB in lieu of $700 cash. Even though it's not cash money, it's still an asset you're giving up. As far as the body work goes, if you DIY, paint and body included, the expense is minimal. To have it professionally done will be enough more that you may as well find a solid one to begin with.

Where is this car from and how has it been treated that it has rust issues? I'd really look very closely and think hard about this one. It's not like you're restoring a grand old classic. This is a proposed DD we're talking about. Be very careful you're not getting in over your head in what I admit is a very cool and yet dead useful ride.

Stingroo
01-20-10, 06:47 PM
True, true. That's a good point, a free asset is still an asset.

I'll have to see the pictures to be 100% sure on it.

jayoldschool
01-20-10, 07:05 PM
Don't buy a rusty car. Keep looking. Deals are out there. I paid 1200 (CDN!) for my 94 last summer. 70 000 miles, full service records, no rust.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/jayoldschool/HPIM1947.jpg

Stingroo
01-20-10, 07:09 PM
Wow that's craziness. lol

77CDV
01-20-10, 09:24 PM
No, that's smart! :)

Stingroo
01-20-10, 10:12 PM
Well, after checking around a few sources; I don't think they get that cheap in FL. lol

But we'll see what's around.

greencadillacmatt
03-19-10, 02:38 AM
Hmm. I remember when this page was combined with the RooFest page. Sounds like something is actually in the works. Maybe you guys should investigate here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/southeast/194893-awesome-roo-matt-themed-florida-meet.html

(I hope they get my subtle hint to click that link...)