: 69 Sedan Deville w/ no heat

majic_sean
01-07-10, 04:07 PM
Howdy all.

I just picked up my first Cadillac. A '69 Sedan Deville.

The car is in pretty good shape and has original motor that is running strong.
The heater isn't working properly though. It has a climate control dial and a knob to switch from vent to ice and fog. When I switch the knob over I can hear a hiss and a fan turning somewhere but can't feel anything coming out and definitely don't feel any heat.

I tried replacing the fuse but didn't notice anything different.

Not exactly sure where to start on this one.

majic_sean
01-07-10, 05:49 PM
Also if anyone knows where or how to locate a mechanic in the Portland, OR area that specializes in or works on older Cadillac's I could use some advise.

Thanks!

carnut
01-07-10, 07:18 PM
I would look underhood for a broken, disconnected vacuum hose especially on that old of a car. Look closely at the firewall for any faulty hoses. The hiss noise is probably vacuum leaking.

majic_sean
01-07-10, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the pointers, will check that out.

77CDV
01-08-10, 03:10 AM
Welcome, Sean! I'm assuming here you have automatic climate control. When you put the system in AUTO, what does it do? Does the compressor engage? Can you hear any of the transfer doors opening or closing? What happens when you slowly rotate the temperature dial? You should get all air flow from under the dash at 90, and all air flow from the dash vents at 60, and the blower speed should increase as you move the dial toward either extreme. We can worry about air temperature later. First we need to know if the basic system is operating properly.

Do a basic system check and then post the results. Oh, and pics of your car wouldn't go amiss, either! :)

Craig