: The Ghost Of Dealerships Past

sven914
01-06-10, 09:51 PM
For the last three years, whenever it rains or is otherwise humid, the ghost of the window sticker appears in the passenger window. I cleaned the window many times, mostly with commercial products (in case you were wondering Bro-Ham) and it always comes back. Anyone know how to permanently get rid of it?

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3489/1/33720000085_large.jpg

The strange thing is that the sticker from the dealership I bought the car from is a single piece of paper. I'm wondering if this is a ghost of the original dealership.

Bro-Ham
01-06-10, 10:08 PM
How many times was the car on how many different car dealership lots? The original Monroney Label from that era should have been one piece and, if I remember correctly, was attached at the top and the bottom. The double window sticker appears to be a used car dealer window sticker from the last 10 years - I was a car dealer for 17 years and saw about a billion of them. How do you get it off? Sven, how the hell do I know??!! :) You're the expert on the potions and remedies. If you don't see it all that often I say you should consider learning to live with a little imperfection in your life. :) :) :)

sven914
01-06-10, 10:34 PM
Carfax said the car had three other owners beside me and they only listed the dealership I bought it from. The car couldn't have been on too many lots for too long because it still has the original dealership badge on the trunk (that's usually the first thing to go).

77CDV
01-07-10, 12:59 AM
Likely it's the image of the original window sticker plus a dealer sticker listing dealer-added options. I think it's kinda cool! Like the car has a memory.

caddeville89
01-07-10, 07:39 AM
Simple, Cheap, Denatured Alcohol should work just fine. If that doesn't, you can try something like Lacquer thinner, but you don't want to get any of that on the weatherstripping. Clean the glass as usual afterwards, as LT will leave a residue. Good Luck!

robb257731
01-07-10, 08:44 AM
I'm with 77CDV....it's cool! Can you read any of the text?

jayoldschool
01-07-10, 11:07 AM
Stoner's Invisible Glass, or Bon Ami. Maybe 0000 steel wool.

HAZZARDJOHN
01-07-10, 12:30 PM
Both look too skinny to be the original sticker from that era. I am guessing it is a used dealer set of stickers. Dealerships don't neccesarily show up on car fax as they are not really owners in the sense that you and I are owners. My 92 Roadmaster never listed the dealer I bought it from and several others that I found had it over the years, I only new about them through Dealer window stickers tucked in the owners manual.

Edit: I might be wrong, I thought your car was a 1991. I have seen a 1991 Cadillac Brougham window sticker and it is the bigger more typical to today size, not sure what they used in 1989.

~HJ

Bro-Ham
01-07-10, 10:08 PM
I seem to remember the 1989 era window stickers being paper with adhesive on the top and bottom. The double window sticker on Sven's car is a classic used car dealer computer generated window sticker that is a double sticker. Not to burst the bubble, but it is something I've seen on a thousand million used car lots. I use goo-gone or goof-off but sometimes that kind of stuff sticks on and on just to make you crazy. That's when I tune out and say there are more important issues on the car to tend to than things that you see only when you wash your car and it's humid. Look at it as a scar from battle that your car fought in it's mission to get to you. Embrace it and be happy your car has a history that you may or may not know all of. :)

sven914
01-07-10, 11:20 PM
^ The only reason I'm concerned with getting rid of it is because it is a little distracting when I try to change lanes on the highway.

I'm with 77CDV....it's cool! Can you read any of the text?

No... Unfortunately none on the text shows up.

HUF
01-08-10, 12:21 AM
I would try wet baking soda.

Aron9000
01-08-10, 01:14 AM
Not to sound stupid, but it looks like your window is tinted in that picture. I'll assume it is not though, because I'm sure you would've had the tint redone if it was.

Anyways, if none of these suggestions work, you can always get a window from a junkyard car. Should be the same window for any 80-92 sedan.