: 83 fleetwood brougham not starting

Foster420
01-06-10, 12:47 PM
So I just bought this cadi a few weeks back. I went over to see the car several times and it started great. After I took it home I started it again once or twice in the driveway, but now it's not starting anymore. I imagine it has to do with the blisteringly cold weather we've been having. When I go to start it, it sounds like its cranking strong but it will never fully start, I can get a few revs out of it if i pedal it while its cranking but then it dies. I assume it might need some new plugs but im not sure. The engine was replaced like 5k miles ago. Can you guys help me out?

csbuckn
01-06-10, 01:12 PM
With a new engine, I'd probably start with fuel delivery. maybe battery

Foster420
01-06-10, 01:35 PM
The battery seems fine, pretty sure it was replaced fairly recently. Another thing, the engine only has 5k on it but it was replaced in 91

csbuckn
01-06-10, 03:03 PM
91 and only 5K, wow. Pull some of the plugs and see how they look.

Foster420
01-06-10, 03:21 PM
yeah I know it, it was a granny car for sure. I was a little suprised when I saw the engine was replaced 5k miles ago but then I saw it was replaced in 91. Im not even sure what is in it now, all i know is that it was supposedly a new v6 from cadillac at the time. Guess Ill take a look at the plugs soon, right now its about degrees and blizzard like here in kansas city.

My_favorite_Brougham
01-06-10, 04:03 PM
But Cadillac didn't make any V6 engines in '91. It would have to be a Buick V6 from the early 80s.

carnut
01-06-10, 04:27 PM
You need to find out what the fuel pressure is. Sitting that long it could have a plugged in tank filter and/or weak pump. 83 should be the 4100 V/8. Count the plug wires. When I read this kind of post I wonder what this person expects? We are not there! Does it have spark, does it have fuel. whats the fuel pressure? All these normal diagnostics should be done, then, with those results you post. Then we can really help.

csbuckn
01-06-10, 04:45 PM
When I read this kind of post I wonder what this person expects?

Same thing you would expect when you post a tech question. I dont mean to be rude but we dont want to discourage people from posting. If I got a reply like that, I would think maybe I'm in the wrong place. Some friendly advise for you, Foster, would be to find out what motor is in there somehow(maybe run the casting numbers on the internet), make sure your getting good spark and check for fuel delivery. A good sign of decent fuel delivery is the smell of gas after cranking for a while.

sven914
01-06-10, 04:53 PM
The only engines available in the '83's were the Cadillac 4100 and the Oldsmobile 350 Diesel. I don't think Cadillac would have exchanged the 4100 for a 6 cylinder or a diesel, so if it was a factory job then the new engine is probably the same as the old one.

Check the VIN. The 8th digit should either be an "8" or an "N." If the VIN number is an 8, then your car came with the 4100, and probably still has one.

The 4100 is Throttle Body Injected so you can see if the engine is getting fuel without any special tools. Just take off the air cleaner assembly and look down the throttle body with a flashlight while someone cranks the engine. You should see gasoline shooting out of the injectors.

Angry Matt
01-06-10, 05:27 PM
A lot of 4100's say it right on top of the air cleaner. Post a pic of the motor if you can't figure it out.

carnut
01-06-10, 08:26 PM
Far be it from me to discourage posting. My point, and yes, it was somewhat blunt is that with some help from the poster, this doesn't turn out to be a 15 post response! As you know I have no problem helping and responding.