: Too Good to be True???

jdelp
01-06-10, 12:01 PM
I had decided to get a 06' or 07' STS-V in silver or thunder gray, but really wasn't going to start looking "seriously" until next spring or so...until I came across a black 07' on Ebay with no reserve. Right now, the price is $23,660 or so and there is still four days left to bid so obviously it could quickly escalate to 30K+, BUT if it stays around 25-27K it's within my budget. It only has 26,100 miles on it and the remainder of the factory warranty - not a CPO though. It is a one-owner carfax clean car. Car looks spotless inside & out from the pictures.

Couple of questions:

1. I see that book value ranges from anywhere between 28 - 32K+ - sound about right?

2. What is involved in getting the CPO warranty? Is this something I could do or does it need to be done through a dealership? Cost estimate?

3. I've never purchased a vehicle off of ebay - the seller has 100% positive feedback, looked at history and he sells high end automobiles - any concerns you can think of from doing it this way?

Sorry for the long post - I just would like to get some suggestions from those of you who are familiar with this model, price point, etc. Can't wait (whether this winter or next spring) to become a "full-Fledged" member!

Thanks all

-Jeff

PGA2B
01-06-10, 01:15 PM
Jeff-

1. They have had this car since late Sept. when I was in the market for mine. So that plays into your hands because it is costing them money. They have tried to sell it with a reserve several times with no results. It was also on Cars.com and Autotrader.com.

2. Superior Cadillac in Kansas City told me to have a Cadillac Certified Warranty the car has to be purchased from a Cadillac dealer. You might check with a Cadillac dealer of your choice in your area to see if they would certify it. It normally costs around $1k to get it done. Mine had 29,000 miles when I got her and she is Cadillac Warrantied from Superior. If you do get it you will LOVE it:lildevil:. Mine is a DD in KC and I have had no issues in the snow and it still has the factory crap tires (until spring).

3. The seller seems to have a good reputation. My previous boss buys all his collector cars from Ebay sight unseen and has never had an issue. He has also bought several other cars that way too. The only concern is you would need to have the car shipped to you or pick it up yourself. Since it was listed on Cars.com and Autotrader.com I would think the seller is legit.

jdelp
01-06-10, 03:05 PM
PGA2B,

Yeah, I noticed on the carfax it was purchased (by him I assume) in Sept - I am sure he's trying to unload it before tax time hits.

Thanks for the info, I am checking with my local dealer about the CPO, but even if the CPO doesn't work out I think the 07' has the upgraded 5yr - 100K factory warranty over the 06's 5 yr - 60K warranty.

-Jeff

Bee iLL
01-06-10, 03:17 PM
I have an 07. Bumper to Bumper warranty is 4 years - 50k. I think only the powertrain has a warranty of 5yr - 100k.

jdelp
01-06-10, 03:58 PM
I have an 07. Bumper to Bumper warranty is 4 years - 50k. I think only the powertrain has a warranty of 5yr - 100k.

I think you're right - thank you.

csf
01-06-10, 04:39 PM
For comparison, I bought an 07, CPO, with 19,500 miles this past Thanksgiving weekend in Maryland for $31,900. If you get it under $30k that would be crazy. Of course they can pull the listing at the last minute if they want.

I'm really enjoying the car - but it uses ALOT of gas. Its the anti-Prius!

Good luck,

Craig

jdelp
01-06-10, 04:58 PM
For comparison, I bought an 07, CPO, with 19,500 miles this past Thanksgiving weekend in Maryland for $31,900. If you get it under $30k that would be crazy. Of course they can pull the listing at the last minute if they want.

Good luck,

Craig

"Anti-Prius" - that's great! I always tell people I am going to buy one of those "smart cars" and just drive around with it in the back of my Sierra 2500 HD Crew Cab - that'd just flip some people out!

Yeah, I am aware of the mpg's...are you getting 12-15 or so, maybe???

I say this wont be my DD, but as long as the roads are dry I am gonna have a hard time keepin' it in the garage.:yup:

Florian
01-06-10, 04:59 PM
buy my 07 (41K mi) silver for 31 and it has CPO.

F

jdelp
01-06-10, 05:11 PM

F

Love to...but my $25-26K budget won't allow it...let alone the wife:tisk:

Thanks though.

csf
01-06-10, 06:22 PM
"Anti-Prius" - that's great! I always tell people I am going to buy one of those "smart cars" and just drive around with it in the back of my Sierra 2500 HD Crew Cab - that'd just flip some people out!

Yeah, I am aware of the mpg's...are you getting 12-15 or so, maybe???

Under 13, all city, average MPH only about 25. I need to get into the suburbs.

silverws6ta
01-06-10, 06:43 PM

I absolutely despise those cars.. All I hear from it is 'treeeee huggggggerrr'..

.. and Toyota trucks may be second.. 'Can I get an ugly truck, donut 12" wheels, add the rust frame with a TRD in the back'

southcocoabeach
01-06-10, 08:32 PM
Good deal if you get it, you`ll love it like everyone else. Black Pontiac Cadillac in PA has the best prices on GMPP,their # is877-472-9550 or do a google search,good luck

jdelp
01-06-10, 09:11 PM
Good deal if you get it, you`ll love it like everyone else. Black Pontiac Cadillac in PA has the best prices on GMPP,their # is877-472-9550 or do a google search,good luck

Thanks, but I am sorry what does GMPP mean? General Motors - -?

silverws6ta
01-06-10, 09:20 PM
Thanks, but I am sorry what does GMPP mean? General Motors - -?

You were getting there.. General Motors Protection Plan...

CIWS
01-06-10, 11:22 PM

F

Haha F-man, ready for Spring / Summer. :) Good luck with your Coupe.

Florian
01-07-10, 12:39 AM
yup, most anxious.

F

jdelp
01-12-10, 03:18 PM
Well, it ended up going for 30k - while still a good deal, just a little out of my budget at the time. Thanks all for your info & suggestions.

PGA2B
01-12-10, 04:02 PM
Well, it ended up going for 30k - while still a good deal, just a little out of my budget at the time. Thanks all for your info & suggestions.

The is one at Jim Falk in Clinton, MO that is also on Ebay. They have had it a while and I bet you could get it around 26-29K if you contact them direct.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-STS-V-Luxury-Loaded-STS-V-Sunroof-Leather-DVD-Navigtn_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem58856f55a1QQite mZ380195788193QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks