: factory wire wheel removal 1991 FWB

robb257731
01-06-10, 09:12 AM
I've got a problem with my 91 FWB...it has the factory wire wheels, which are great, but I can't get them off. The tire iron with the jack will NOT fit over the bolts. Well, it fits over some, but not all. I'm assuming I need some kidn of adaptor to get the remaining ones off, but it's not in the bloody car. The ones where it won't fit are slightly rounded on the top. Are these the factory security bolts?

Anyone out there know where I can get an adaptor?

jayoldschool
01-06-10, 10:25 AM
Just use a deep 1/2 drive socket. Works every time!

robb257731
01-07-10, 08:49 AM
Thanks Jay!

jayoldschool
01-07-10, 11:05 AM
Pick up that electric impact gun from Canadian Tire next time it is in the flyer for 50% off (or whatever crazy discount). That is what I use on all my wheels, and it works GREAT! Actually, they put it on sale so often, I bet if you asked for the lowest sale price, they will give it to you.

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/CanadianTire/0998888_1?$medium$&defaultImage=image_na_EN

brougham_geezer
01-07-10, 02:08 PM
Well, we've got two of those CTC electric impact guns... no we don't use two at once. :gun:

I will fully second what Jay just said: good power and great value. Makes our big air-compressor/gun set up look downright wimpy. We also use them every time. Beware of the gun/socket rubbing on those nice wheels. Don't want to scratch any finish off. Just hold it straight and steady.

Now go get one! :rollingpin:

brougham
01-07-10, 08:26 PM
There's nothing special about taking those bolts out as long as you use a socket that can reach it. Unless someone changed them there should be a lock nut on each wheel with a special key thats longer then the normal kind you buy to reach into the spokes.
Now that I read those Canadian Tire electric impacts actually work I'll buy one next time I see them on sale. Some of those electric ones are junk and Id rather move an extension cord around to get to my driveway then an air hose.

jayoldschool
01-07-10, 08:30 PM
Just make sure you get the one I put in the pic. Hasn't failed me yet, and I swap a LOT of wheels. NO cordless!

brougham
01-07-10, 08:37 PM
I wonder what the difference is with the 2 they have other then the $20 price?

jayoldschool
01-07-10, 09:21 PM
Probably lbs-ft rating...

brougham
01-07-10, 09:31 PM
Both 240lb-ft both 7.5A. The more expensive one says Die cast magnesium gear housing and Hardened hammer plate. Don't know if they are both like that tho and other just doesn't say it. I guess it comes down to what's on sale anyway.