: Emission test problems "attention" a must read

livebait
01-05-10, 09:54 PM
HI ALL, BEEN A WHILE ON. IF YOU OWN A CATERA THIS IS A MUST READ

ATTENTION ALL CADILLAC CATERA OWNERS FROM 96-98

I HAVE TAKEN MY CATERA IN FOR EMISSION TESTING IN 2007 RESULTING IN A FAILURE WITH EXCESSIVE NO'S.
I PAID A RESULTING $450 TO RECEIVE THE CONDITIONAL PASS.
THIS BRINGS US TO THE EMISSION TEST FOR 2009, IT FAILED AGAIN WITH EXCESSIVE NO'S.
I PAID THE $450 TO RECEIVE THE CONDITIONAL PASS AGAIN.

HERE IS THE INTERESTING PART

FOR THE PAST TWO TEST I HAVE RECEIVED A FAILURE AND HAD TO PAY TO RECEIVE A CONDITIONAL PASS.
WELL THE TEST ON A CADILLAC CATERA IS SUPPOSED TO EXCLUDE THE CAR FOR THE DYNAMOMETER.
IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE A 2 SPEED IDLE TEST ONLY AND THE CAR SHOULD NEVER BE PUT ON A DYNO.
I HAVE THIS IN WRITING FROM THE ONTARIO DRIVE CLEAN FACILITY STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES.

SO WARNING
WHEN TAKING THE E TEST DO NOT ALLOW THEM ON THE DYNO WITH YOUR CAR, IT IS NOT MEANT TO BE THERE. ASK THEM TO CHECK THE LIST OF VEHICLES THAT ARE NOT MEANT TO GO ON THE DYNO.

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW I AM SUING CANADIAN TIRE FOR THE TESTING, REPAIRS, AND DAMAGE TO THE CAR.
I ALSO CONTACTED THE DRIVE CLEAN PEOPLE AND I HAVE ASKED FOR A SUSPENSION OF SERVICES AT THAT CANADIAN TIRE UNTIL A COMPLETE INVESTIGATION HAS TAKEN PLACE.
(THE CANADIAN TIRE THAT WORKED ON MY CAR HAS NOW HAD THREE MECHANICS ETEST MY CAR AND NONE KNEW THAT IT DOES NOT GO ON A DYNO)

PLEASE GIVE YOUR FEEDBACK ON THIS.
OR IF YOU NEED MORE INFO
CONTACT ME

kEITH

TitanCTS
01-06-10, 08:14 AM
Ok first thing, Take off the CAPS, it's annoying to read with full caps. Secondly. Here the states dyno's are not used anymore for emissions testing. If you keep failing your emissions test you obviously have something wrong with your car. You probably have a vacuum leak or some sort of fuel issue, 02 sensor issue or a number of other issues that's causing your car to fail emissions. Repair the vehicle as soon as possible. Believe it or not are cars are extreme low emissions vehicle. I just had mine tested in July and it scored very low on the charts for emissions output.

libbysman
01-06-10, 11:57 PM
Hello all: Happy New Year.

Well Livebait your first mistake was taking anything mechanical to Canadian Tire. I've heard too many horror stories about what's happened to vehicles that enter their workbays. True or not, it's in your best interest to find a local garage that is busy with returning clientele that trust them. I am fortunate enough to have found one that understands that I do quite a lot of my own work. Here in British Columbia we have to take our cars to a province wide company on contract to the gov't. Next month I need to have my 97 checked for emissions for the first time, and had no idea that what you said pertained to Cateras. That's a scarry proposition to take a car for testing and have that happen. I'll double check with my local dealer to get confirmation. Thank you for posting your experience, and I hope you get justice. Regards, Brian

libbysman
01-12-10, 12:52 AM
Keith: You peaked my interest with the above. I'm due to have my 97 emission check next month, so it's timely that you brought up the subject. Our equivelent to your testing system is " Air Care". I first checked with my dealer (Carter GM in Burnaby, B.C.) and they didn't have any idea what I was talking about. I was given the direct line number to GM Canada and they also didn'y have anything on it. So, in desperation I checked with "Air Care" and they said the only explanation they would have involved the traction control. Apparently they ensure that your traction control is turned OFF before putting a Catera or any other car so equipped on the dyno.
If what you say is true about your emission testers having a bulletin on it I would run right down there and get a certified copy of it and give it to your legal representative as soon as possible. I as well as others on this forum would be glad to hear how you make out with your case. Good Luck, Regards, Brian