: First use of Cadillac roadside service

neuronbob
01-05-10, 08:32 PM
Posting from the side of the freeway now.
Hit road debris in downtown Cleveland 7:40 PM.. Right front tire died. Tried to use tire sealant kit but a) tip didn't fit well and about 1/4 of the stuff went onto the wheel and b) didn't matter as when I tried to inflate all the air leaked out, so tire is done.
Called OnStar, was connected to GM Roadside service. They thought I should have a spare but quickly self-corrected.
They called a local tech, who called me within 5 minutes to ask if I had a spare. Answer=no, reply was "you need a tow". They called for a tow service and ten min later I got an automated call saying the name of the tow service, their phone #, and that they would be there in 1/2 hr.

10 min after that, I got a call from GM Roadside to make sure I was OK and to tell me that the tow was 15 min out.
Cleveland's finest showed up at the end of that call to flash lights and keep other motorists from hitting me. Very nice of them :).
Still waiting for tow (been 1/2 hr).

So far, so good. Plan is to be towed to dealer (miraculously, my servicing dealer is only a couple of miles from here) and hope they have a spare Sottozero.

Will keep posted.

Gary Wells
01-05-10, 08:47 PM
Sorry to hear, and I sure hope that this works out to your satisfaction. Please do keep everybody posted up to date, I am interested in the outcome of this.

Florian
01-05-10, 09:10 PM
Cleveland's finest stopped???? Thats a first...Dunkin mustve run out of Munchkins.

F

neuronbob
01-05-10, 09:26 PM
^^^^^
ROFLMAO! Yes, and they are still here. I plan to write a kind letter to the police chief as I didn't ask them to stop and didn't ask them to stay, but did. I'm pretty impressed, no joke.

Tow truck JUST GOT here. A flatbed. :woot:

dvandentop
01-05-10, 09:29 PM
damn shitty way to end the day! also i have wondered myself if i spare will fit in the v compartment at all??

commander112
01-05-10, 09:38 PM
damn shitty way to end the day! also i have wondered myself if i spare will fit in the v compartment at all??

Will fill up most of your truck and you still need a jack and lug wrench plus if you have the lugs torqued to 150 ft pounds or whatever the TBS calls for you will never get them off in the cold on the side of the road.

That said, this is why I leave the V in the garage nearly every day during the winter. Our roads are too beat up and pot hole filled and there is too much winter debris out there. My lifted Jeep TJ will get me through just about anything and is good fun on the slick winter roads. Let the V be fun in the better weather. I figure that for a second set of rims and winter tires for the V I could drive a nice sled when the weather turns crumby

dvandentop
01-05-10, 09:44 PM
do the regular cts carry a sapre at all? yeah wouldnt be surprised the 19 wont fit in the wheel sunk in tray

Florian
01-05-10, 10:07 PM
^^^^^
ROFLMAO! Yes, and they are still here. I plan to write a kind letter to the police chief as I didn't ask them to stop and didn't ask them to stay, but did. I'm pretty impressed, no joke.

Tow truck JUST GOT here. A flatbed. :woot:

Did you go to the Moosehead Saloon for lunch today???? Saw a V there, wondered if it was you.

F

neuronbob
01-05-10, 11:38 PM
Finally back home and am a little rested. The tow truck took 1 1/2 hours to arrive, then ten minutes to the dealer, where a worker was waiting for pickup (having been notified earlier of our arrival). I'm happy to have broken down in an urban area, close to my servicing dealer. GM Roadside gave me automated calls every 15 minutes asking if the tow truck had arrived.....press 1 if yes, 2 if no......then a request to call the tow company if I pressed 2 for "no". GM's handling of the call I would rate an A- with the primary ding being that they didn't realize that my car didn't come with a spare and that they should immediately request a tow. To let them off the hook a little, my VIN in their system only shows as 2009 CTS, not a CTS-V. The tow service gets a C primarily because of time to arrival. Once there, everything went smoothly.

If I'd had a regular spare, I've have been outta there in 15 minutes. A couple of observations:

a) To GM: DO NOT ABANDON THE SPARE TIRE PLEASE. I pop at least a tire a year because of where I live. I will attempt to find a way to fit a spare tire.
b) Where's my tow hook? I have none. The tow guys asked for it and I couldn't find it. We have a tow connector in the front bumper, but no tow hook? WTF?

The 19 won't fit (we have pictorial proof on this board) as a significant amount of the wheel/tire will jut out of the opening you think would fit it.

Did you go to the Moosehead Saloon for lunch today???? Saw a V there, wondered if it was you.

F

I've been there before, but not today. :(

dvandentop
01-05-10, 11:45 PM
damn hell of a day then atleast you could let the car run and keep warm.

i guess the quest for the front how took adapter will be something i can do in the mean time of mine while letting it sit in the garage know. i would think it would be in the area by tire inflator but that would make too much sense.

dmp
01-06-10, 07:06 AM
Ouch. Assuming you got towed to Central...

Today was a really bad day to need a tow truck in Cleveland. I-271 had express lanes shutdown and cars spun out everywhere. Not sure if lanes got iced up. UPS only delivered 2 of 4 Blizzaks to my tire guys.

CIWS
01-06-10, 07:41 AM
a) To GM: DO NOT ABANDON THE SPARE TIRE PLEASE. I pop at least a tire a year because of where I live. I will attempt to find a way to fit a spare tire.

Sorry for your troubles, but glad to see you were taken care of. :thumbsup:

As I'm sure you know, none of the V series of cars has ever come with a spare tire. Until the 09 CTSV they had runflats, which the majority (not all) of owners soon ditched. I'm on my third set of tires on the STS-V and have never put runflats back on the car since the first set wore out. They're too expensive for the wear you get out of them. So GM hasn't abandoned the spare tire for the Vs, they just never had one. :)

neuronbob
01-06-10, 12:32 PM
CIWS, I recall that the 1G CTS-V had runflats. Didn't know that the STS-V had them as well. Coming from the Honda/Acura side of the fence, I can attest that runflats are more trouble than they are worth....Honda decided to get rid of runflats in all their products after they were sued (and lost) over cost of replacement and malfunction. Runflats are not the answer....designing a car to accommodate the spare, a necessary device, would be preferable.

I made my comment above because it is my understanding is that GM is getting rid of spares in other models than the V series (edit: I know, V series never had spares ;) .), supposedly to save weight and cost. I personally think this is a mistake. If I take my V on a long trip and I pop a tire, say, on I-70 in western Kansas......it's a looooooong tow to a dealer (who's unlikely to be a Cadi dealer) and that dealer is unlikely to have a PS2 or (in my case) a SottoZero in stock. My servicing dealer right now has to order a tire, and that will be 24 hours at a minimum I have to wait to get my car back. This is not speculative as I do a lot of road trips and was planning to do some in the V. I'm having second thoughts about using the V in this manner given the predicament I found myself in last night.

With a spare, 15 minutes and I'm on my way again.

dmp, yup, my car's at Central. I didn't mention that it was snowing pretty hard at times during the time I was on the side of the road, and I didn't complain too much about the tow truck's tardiness. Just happy they got there, and even happier that they sent a flatbed instead of a standard tow truck.

As far as the tow hook, I could not find it anywhere in my car. Am I missing something or did Cadi miss something here? As it turns out, the tow guys worked around the absence, but having a tow hook would have cut about five minutes out of the tow.

Htown09
01-06-10, 01:41 PM
Well, if you only do that once a year then it isn't TOO bad. Let's be happy GM went away with the Runcraps and put some PS2's on there! :thumbsup:

dvandentop
01-06-10, 09:45 PM
let us know how much the new refill of the tire plug goop caniser is for the thing when you get one,

also read the manual tonight and no mention anywhere of the screw in tow hook at all?? wonder if there is even one available or if you woul have to get one from a tow shop????

CIWS
01-06-10, 10:14 PM
Runflats are not the answer....designing a car to accommodate the spare, a necessary device, would be preferable.

No doubt, I agree. Even if like with the new SRX, make the space available and if the owner wants some sort of spare they can get it and have it as an option. We had the space in the V1, and I bought a spare and carried it despite the added weight. With the STS-V, Cadillac put two different sized wheels on the car making the option of a spare basically impossible. (sorry Cadillac, dumb choice)

Caroutisine
01-06-10, 10:15 PM
Did the tire plug goop ruin the tire pressure monitor? On the C5's when the runflats were replaced with normal tires, I heard that if you used a fix a flat can it would take out that TPMS. Wondered if the one that was a side effect also with the can of product supplied with these cars.

mpouls1
01-06-10, 11:19 PM
let us know how much the new refill of the tire plug goop caniser is for the thing when you get one,

also read the manual tonight and no mention anywhere of the screw in tow hook at all?? wonder if there is even one available or if you woul have to get one from a tow shop????

LOL, I got rid of that POS the second time I was at the track. It has a switch for goop or no goop (just air). Well...no goop means the sh!t sprays all over the place anyways making a very sticky mess. Ugh...believe me, you don't want it.

dvandentop
01-06-10, 11:23 PM
LOL, I got rid of that POS the second time I was at the track. It has a switch for goop or no goop (just air). Well...no goop means the sh!t sprays all over the place anyways making a very sticky mess. Ugh...believe me, you don't want it.

yeah sounds like a biatch, i am sure there is plethora of other tire sealant and small compressors out there for when something would happen that will fit in the spare tire well.

GMX322V S/C
01-07-10, 04:12 AM
...also read the manual tonight and no mention anywhere of the screw in tow hook at all?? wonder if there is even one available or if you woul have to get one from a tow shop????My dealer couldn't find anything when I bought my car a year ago so I forgot about it, but I just found these at gmpartsdirect.com--for the front: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214858&chapter=&sectionids=0,2276&groupid=51817&subgroupid=8600&make=5&model=Cts&year=2009&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

...and for the rear: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214858&chapter=&sectionids=0,2836&groupid=51817&subgroupid=8600&make=5&model=Cts&year=2009&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

Edit: The rear is not illustrated correctly; in fact, they reference the same GM part number: 15292874

Mike 09 V
01-07-10, 09:01 AM
I'll bet the problem with the spare is that there are no rims that will clear the brakes and that will fit in the well in the trunk. Other wise you could have one of those space saving spares. Making the well deeper will mean they will have to reconfigure the stuff that is directly below the trunk. Probably isn't enough room. That's being kind. It is more likely they didn't realize that the spare wouldn't fit until the last minute and they didn't have the tooling dies to stamp the trunk deeper as well as everything else at hand that would make it possible, so they did the cost calcs and found it was cheaper to give us what they gave us. Cynic that I am.

neuronbob
01-07-10, 11:08 AM

That is exactly what happened to me. I tried the "goop" (LOL) setting and the valve, though correctly tightened, leaked out of its rear and I got goop all over the tire. I'm just going to carry a can of Fix-a-flat. I've used this before and it certainly doesn't spray all over the place. I'll just use the compressor for its intended purpose.

Did the tire plug goop ruin the tire pressure monitor? On the C5's when the runflats were replaced with normal tires, I heard that if you used a fix a flat can it would take out that TPMS. Wondered if the one that was a side effect also with the can of product supplied with these cars.

The GM-provided sealant did not ruin the TPMS monitor, however; the pressure was continually monitored for the 1/2 hour it took for the pressure to decrease from 20 to 0 psi.

dvandentop
01-07-10, 11:36 AM
My dealer couldn't find anything when I bought my car a year ago so I forgot about it, but I just found these at gmpartsdirect.com--for the front: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214858&chapter=&sectionids=0,2276&groupid=51817&subgroupid=8600&make=5&model=Cts&year=2009&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

...and for the rear: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214858&chapter=&sectionids=0,2836&groupid=51817&subgroupid=8600&make=5&model=Cts&year=2009&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

Edit: The rear is not illustrated correctly; in fact, they reference the same GM part number: 15292874

what a bunch of shit $75 retail for a piece that normally comes with the other cars such as my old audi etc...??????
Should be like $10 at most let alone 2 different ones

tedcmiller
01-07-10, 01:14 PM
It is clearly stated in the owner's manual and on the tire sealer cannister, that the sealer provided with the pump will not damage the TPMs. Any other sealer is anybody's guess. Also, the amount of damage to the tire that the sealer will fix is limited to small holes from nails or screws.

Now, I like run-flats. Granted they do not ride as well, are more expensive, and are not carried by most dealers. Bottom line, is that you normally don't even have to stop (a very good thing). In fact, the government requires cars with run-flats to also have a tire pressure monitor system to notify drivers when tire pressure is lost, because they might not know it. The 2009 CTS-V does not come with run-flats. Only Bridgestone makes equivalent size tires in run-flats, and they are not currently available through Tire Rack. Michelin does make the rear tire in a ZP (zero pressure) version, but not the front. As soon as the non-run flats on my car are worn out, I will replace them with run-flats, even if I have to go with Bridgestones.

neuronbob
01-07-10, 03:31 PM
Ted, when this happens, do let us know of your experience, it should be very helpful and I will certainly learn something. :thumbsup:

GMX322V S/C
01-07-10, 04:35 PM
what a bunch of shit $75 retail for a piece that normally comes with the other cars such as my old audi etc...??????
Should be like $10 at most let alone 2 different onesAgree on the list; this should have been thrown in--however, I should have been clearer: it appears that the same "tow eye" can be used front and rear.

dvandentop
01-07-10, 05:00 PM
can anyone at gm raise a stink to get owners who request one sent to them? Mreiland didnt you have an internal website where you could post a question and it would be answered by the higher ups??

let us know i am sure several peeps on here would want one.

neuronbob
01-07-10, 07:22 PM
I got my car back today. Unfortunately, the inner rim is bent and the dealer had a heck of a time with balancing. It's holding air, though! They initially recommended buying a new rim at $775! I believe they are still on national back order? Luckily, I have my spare summer rims and will change one of the fronts on tomorrow. The dealer folk indicated that the rim was reparable, and once it is off I'll be sending it to Motomotion down in Medina, OH (1/2 hr drive from home). From what I could see looking under the car, it's not THAT bad, but safety first....especially since I'm planning that drive to Detroit next week.

All's well that ends well and as I said, Caddy roadside service was a largely positive experience.

tedcmiller
01-08-10, 11:40 PM
I went through three sets of run-flats on my 2004 and 2005 CTS-Vs. The first were the original tires (Goodyear F1s) which saved me once and one was plugged after a no-pressure situation. The next two were Bridgestones (RE050s followed by RE050As) which were purchased from Tire Rack and installed by the dealer. One of those tires again saved me and was plugged. They were purchased because they were cheaper and provided better tread life than the Goodyear's. Except for the tendency of the Bridgestone tires to flat-spot for a few miles during cold weather, I could not tell any difference between them and the original Goodyear F1s (except, of course, for cost and life). The Michelins currently installed are excellent tires. Will another brand (Bridgestone?) be as good? Probably not, but since I don't go to the track or "drive like I stole it," I might not notice any difference. Maybe by then, Michelin will also have the front CTS-V tire in ZP. I'll let you know what happens.

sefa01
01-09-10, 10:18 AM
Only had to use Cadillac Road Service once, but it was great.

My son and I took my V1 to Virginia International Raceway for a track weekend. On the afternoon of the second day, the shifter broke at the Oak Tree turn. The track tow truck took my car to the Lodge (the hotel at VIR) and then I called Cadillac Road Service.

Road service towed it to a local Cadillac dealer. It turned out that the part was on back order. So I rented a car from Enterprise (the only game in town) and we drove back from Virginia to New jersey.

I flew down the next week to pick up the car.

I then submited my expenses to Cadillac. They totaled more than $1,100--including my airfare, limo rides to and from the airports, and the rental car (which had a $400 drop-off fee). Within a week or so, I had a check for the full amount.

I hope I don't need the service again. But it's nice to know it's there.

tedcmiller
01-09-10, 02:31 PM
I have used the OnStar roadside service twice. Once when the motor blew up in my 2004 CTS-V, and a second time when I ran out of gas in the 2005 CTS-V (the 2004 gave two warnings - low fuel and very low fuel, the 2005 only provided one warning - low fuel). Both times the service was quick and did not cost anything (free transport and free fuel).

neuronbob
01-09-10, 03:53 PM
Wow, sefa01, THAT'S great service, and at a distance from home, too. It's certainly better than AAA. (Disclaimer: I pay for AAA at the basic level; my more plebian autos have no roadside service associated with them.)

Ted.....OUCH to having your engine fail. Not a good thing.

ctsvinalaska
01-09-10, 06:17 PM
Having read quite a few posts on here, i am really starting to feel good about my recent V purchase!