: Where is the LSA made?

Z06ified
01-05-10, 03:48 PM
Does anyone know where the LSA engine is really made? I heard Mexico on here before, but I checked my window sticker on my 2010, and it said the engine was built in the U.S.A., but the transmission was from Mexico.

Wikipedia says the engine is built in Sailo, Mexico:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_CTS-V

Which is correct? I gotta think the window sticker is more accurate, no?

If the engine is built in the U.S., does anyone know where specifically?

Thanks.

neuronbob
01-05-10, 04:29 PM
According to GM's own documents, the engine is made in Silao, Mexico, in the Chevy engine plant. I've looked this up a couple of times on GM's corporate website and posted some links here. Of course, I'm at work right now and don't have them handy.

Low_ET
01-05-10, 06:22 PM
The LSA is made in Mexico:

From GM Powertrain:
http://archives.media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2009/09car.htm#60L%20id60L (click on the "SS" Spec Sheet link after the LSA for details)

"2009 ""LSA"" 6.2L V-8 ( LSA )"
Type: 6.2L Gen IV V-8 Small Block
Displacement: 6162cc (376 ci)
Compression ratio: 9.1:1
Valve configuration: overhead valves (2 valves per cylinder)
Assembly site: Silao, MX

By the way: The LS9 is assembled in Wixom, Michigan.

Also, great photos of LSA engines, transmissions, and engine parts (superchargers, etc.) at:
http://archives.media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/photos/f_actual/powertrain.html

Florian
01-05-10, 10:11 PM
Meh-hee-ko

Indeed.

F

4gear70
01-05-10, 10:48 PM
The LSA is made in Mexico:

From GM Powertrain:
http://archives.media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2009/09car.htm#60L%20id60L (click on the "SS" Spec Sheet link after the LSA for details)

"2009 ""LSA"" 6.2L V-8 ( LSA )"
Type: 6.2L Gen IV V-8 Small Block
Displacement: 6162cc (376 ci)
Compression ratio: 9.1:1
Valve configuration: overhead valves (2 valves per cylinder)
Assembly site: Silao, MX

By the way: The LS9 is assembled in Wixom, Michigan.

Also, great photos of LSA engines, transmissions, and engine parts (superchargers, etc.) at:
http://archives.media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/photos/f_actual/powertrain.html

Yes, that site has been a great site with lots of info. For more info on the LSA (as well as other motors/trannies), click on the S under the WN column for a 9 page document on the LSA. The LSA is 'ASSEMBLED' in Silao, MX.

Z06ified
01-06-10, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the info. That's a great site BTW!! :yup:

But the next question is, why did they list the engine on my window sticker as from the U.S.A. when it was built in Mexico??? :cookoo:

Is it because most of the parts content is from the U.S.? Yet I have to think most of the parts in the Tremec manual are from the U.S., and it's just assembled in Mexico, but the sticker lists it from Mexico.

Any chance the LSA is built at more than one plant, like many of the other LS engines?

Florian
01-06-10, 10:33 AM
no.

F

garfin
01-07-10, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the info. That's a great site BTW!! :yup:

But the next question is, why did they list the engine on my window sticker as from the U.S.A. when it was built in Mexico??? :cookoo:

Is it because most of the parts content is from the U.S.? Yet I have to think most of the parts in the Tremec manual are from the U.S., and it's just assembled in Mexico, but the sticker lists it from Mexico.

Any chance the LSA is built at more than one plant, like many of the other LS engines?

I've been doing a little digging on this one over the last couple of days as I was also intrigued by the wording on the window sticker.
Just to confuse the issue somewhat, :hmm:, I have a contact at the Glendale Ave. engine plant in St. Catherines, Ontario who I asked to check this out and both of his sources in the plant have said that the blocks are pre-machined there in St. Catherines and then sent to Linamar in Guelph, Ontario
http://www.linamar.com/productsandservices/engine/default.aspx
for machining with the deck plate on, after which they are then sent to Wixom for assembly.
I asked that this info be confirmed for the LSA, since I know the LS9 and LS7 are assembled in Wixom and it was.

Best regards,

Elie

Z06ified
01-07-10, 11:05 AM
Elie - Thanks for the info! That is very interesting! Actually it makes a lot of sense - more sense than building the LSA in Mexico, since it's assembly process is nearly identical to building the LS9, except for the dry sump, and it is a very low volume engine. I'm sure the blocks and heads are cast in Mexico, as most of GM's blocks and heads are cast there due to less restrictive environmental controls for operating a foundry - there are very few foundries left in the U.S.

So if it was built in Wixom, do you think the builder signs the engine like the LS9 and LS7's?

wfo
01-07-10, 11:21 AM
It sucks that anything American be made anywhere, but America. More specifically, an American Musclecar engine for goodness sakes.

Maybe that's why I love the Corvette so much. Hand assembled LS3 (manual) LS7 and LS9 motors, all get the name plate badging of it's creator/ builder. Frames come from Daytec and all assembled in Bowling Green, Ky in it's own proprietary assembly plant. Right next door if you will, there's the National Corvette Museum (NCM), honoring this beautiful ride; or for those wishing to take the Museum delivery option for their new Corvette.

Now if the beloved Vette would just come with a Recaro seating option, I might just go get another one.

Z06ified
01-07-10, 12:46 PM
I know what you mean, but even the Corvette has become more of a "global" car: on my '02 Z06, the brakes are from Australia (PBR), the wheels from Italy (SpeedLine), fuel injection system from Germany (Bosch), transmission from Mexico (Tremec), differential from Germany (Getrag), radio from Brazil (Delco), engine from Canada (St. Catherines), engine block and heads cast in Mexico. And that's just the big stuff. I'm sure there's tons of smaller parts that are from all over the world.

I noticed the battery cable in my CTS-V had a "Made in China" on the barcode sticker. :nono:

jvp
01-07-10, 01:07 PM
I asked that this info be confirmed for the LSA, since I know the LS9 and LS7 are assembled in Wixom and it was.

It's unfortunately not correct, for the LSA. It is not built in Wixom. No offense, but your contact needs to check again. :-)

jas

garfin
01-07-10, 01:23 PM
It's unfortunately not correct, for the LSA. It is not built in Wixom. No offense, but your contact needs to check again. :-)

jas

None taken! :thumbsup:
I certainly raised an eyebrow at the response I received about the engines being built in Wixom. I am still confused.
I am currently attempting to find out if perhaps the engines are in fact being assembled in Silao as well as in Wixom.
I will pass on any further updates or confirmations...

Best regards,

Elie

Z06ified
01-07-10, 03:23 PM
Thanks for investigating further Elie. There must be something to it, as the sticker clearly says "U.S.A." Mexico is definitely not USA, and I would be surprised if the window sticker had false information on it. Then again, I vaguely remember the window sticker on my '02 Z06 listed the engine as built in the U.S.A., but I'm nearly certain is was built at the St. Catherine's plant in Canada.

Anyone else have their window stickers that they could check where their engine was built? Do they all say U.S.A.?

garfin
01-07-10, 03:48 PM
Thanks for investigating further Elie. There must be something to it, as the sticker clearly says "U.S.A." Mexico is definitely not USA, and I would be surprised if the window sticker had false information on it. Then again, I vaguely remember the window sticker on my '02 Z06 listed the engine as built in the U.S.A., but I'm nearly certain is was built at the St. Catherine's plant in Canada.

Anyone else have their window stickers that they could check where their engine was built? Do they all say U.S.A.?

I can definitely confirm without a shadow of a doubt that the LS6 in your '02 Z06 was made in St. Catherines. I have personally watched (transfixed) as an LS6 was being being tested and monitored on the dyno in that plant for durability. They would take random engines off the line and hook them up to run at varying RPMS for different periods of time.
FWIW, the 3.6 engines are made there as well.

Best regards,

Elie

Z06ified
01-07-10, 04:10 PM
I can definitely confirm without a shadow of a doubt that the LS6 in your '02 Z06 was made in St. Catherines. I have personally watched (transfixed) as an LS6 was being being tested and monitored on the dyno in that plant for durability.

Me too! I was there in the summer of 2004 during their employee appreciation day, they gave plant tours to owners of LS1 and LS6 powered vehicles who brought their cars to the plant for the employees to look at. I was there from Z06Vette.com It was a cool tour, especially since they normally don't give plant tours.

Anyway, I wasn't sure if all of the LS6's were built there. I think the LS1's and 5.3L cast iron truck versions were built there, and were also built at at least one or two other plants that were in the U.S.

wfo
01-07-10, 04:29 PM
I know what you mean, but even the Corvette has become more of a "global" car: on my '02 Z06, the brakes are from Australia (PBR), the wheels from Italy (SpeedLine), fuel injection system from Germany (Bosch), transmission from Mexico (Tremec), differential from Germany (Getrag), radio from Brazil (Delco), engine from Canada (St. Catherines), engine block and heads cast in Mexico. And that's just the big stuff. I'm sure there's tons of smaller parts that are from all over the world.

I noticed the battery cable in my CTS-V had a "Made in China" on the barcode sticker. :nono:

Now I'm depressed. :alchi:

GMX322V S/C
01-07-10, 04:51 PM
...and I would be surprised if the window sticker had false information on it...My window sticker also says "6.2L V8 VVT" :)