: couple of quick questions on my deville

dub devil
01-05-10, 02:49 PM
ok so here it goes. i bought what i thought was a beautiful car, a 99 deville with 95k on it. didn't research it all.. yeah stupid huh, im 21.. and that old saying comes to mind young, dum and full of.. well you get the picture.. anyways, of coarse after a week of driven it, it started showen all the signs of a failed head gasket and or head bolts. engine creating pressure into the coolant, getting hot blah blah blah read it a million times on here haha. well of coarse i have to fix it so i dont get completely screwed. already droped the cradle and about to tear into it. im going to go the stud route. just seems logical and the best cure.

ill probably go oem head gaskets, but what about the rest of the gaskets? who sells a complete kit, what brands are trusted?

what elese should i look for, and or replace while i have everything out.. lord knows i dont wanna do this again.haha

tateos
01-06-10, 07:49 PM
Sorry to hear you got duped, but you are in a fun experience. I say that 1/2 sarcastically, but also 1/2 seriously. If you already have the cradle dropped, you are fairly good DIYer, and the R and R part of this job is the hard part anyway. I think you are part way through a great challenge and life experience.

I used all Fel-Pro gaskets from Rock Auto - there is a cylinder head kit, and then a conversion kit that has all the lower end gaskets and seals. You will be changing the coolant crossover gaskets. To do the head gasket repair, you don't need to remove the block from the cradle, but if you do, you will be able to change the rear main seal and oil pan gasket. You can also change the 1/2 case seal, but I didn't do that, since mine was not leaking. I changed every coolant hose on the car.

Someone recently reported that they did a HG repair, and shortly thereafter, the had problems with their lock up torque converter, proper repair of which requires, you guessed it, complete removal of the transaxle, or partially dropping the cradle, at the least.

Here is my thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/126253-97-etc-n-head-gasket-project.html

Here is Zonie's - it gave me a lot of the information and confodence I needed to do this thing:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/5052-n-head-gasket-repair-part-i.html

There is a lot more information out there - just do a search for HG or head gasket on this forum.

dub devil
01-07-10, 10:44 PM
haha i ordered a felpro kit from autozone. been a DIYer my whole life. being a hvac service tech and all im pretty sure i can tackle it. just didnt want to haha. but i wanna be able to enjoy all my hard work.thanks for your input

tateos
01-08-10, 01:44 PM
haha i ordered a felpro kit from autozone. been a DIYer my whole life. being a hvac service tech and all im pretty sure i can tackle it. just didnt want to haha. but i wanna be able to enjoy all my hard work.thanks for your input

I have owned my '97 ETC since new, so I've grown attached to it. I've always liked the car, and I still do, so when the HG failed a couple years ago, it would have been hard to send the car (even with 144K miles) to the crusher. I've done engine jobs in the past, but never on anything as difficult or complex as a N* in an Eldo. I already had more cars than drivers, so I really did not need the car, but I looked at the HG job as a challenge and a project. I had planned to do the repair and sell the car, but I never seem to be able to bring myself to sell it. That HG job was a lot of work, but the sense of accomplishment I get every time I drive the car (now at 156K, about 12K miles since repair), instead of junking it, makes it all worth it.