Cadillac Owners Forum banner
3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  ewill3rd 
#1 ·
Have a failed speedometer gauge and took my '05 in for service...missed the recall by 7 numbers according to the dealer and a new cluster plus install is going to be 1,200. Any way to get it or do it myself? I saw an old thread about the motors in the guage and someone on ebay who does refurbs for $130, but the link was bad.

#3 ·
Really?!? Holy crap. Why are they charging me so much then? They also said that I'd have to leave it overnight while they wait for the cluster to come in.

Followup questions then:

1. Platinum cluster - Not familiar with this...do you have a PN#? Or should I just call and say it's an 05 escalade and I want a platinum cluster?
2. When you say install takes 5 minutes - is that including taking the whole dash apart to get to it (which I'm assuming is nessisary..)?
3. Regarding #2 - How involved IS taking the whole dash apart to do the nessisary work?
4. Just some harnesses to connect once everything is apart?
5. Any other caveats besides them reprogramming the mileage (like - 'it's not driveable till it's programmed, or you need GM specific tools to do all this...)?

#4 · (Edited)
Your cluster

Platinum cluster

1. Just get a VIN from a platinum Esky (05-06) on eBay. Give that VIN to the dealer to order the cluster...

2. lower steering wheel, pull off dash panel, 4 bolts, unplug the one plug, reverse steps

3. see #2

4. 1 plug (see #2)

5. plug and play, works fine, just reads 0 miles. dealer will have to do this unless you call shops in the area and can program it for you. However, keep your old one in there until you get to the shop so they don't think your trying to do the odometer fraud stuff...

Here's my Esky with the Platinum Cluster

#6 ·
The vehicle does not have to be left on the lot until the cluster arrives.
They USED TO, but we have a new procedure on the Escalades (and other C/K trucks) whereby we actually program the mileage and hours into the new cluster.
It has to be done in house. I had one the other day that the supplier screwed up and I had to send it back because they programmed themiles in it and not the hours and I couldn't program it because they did so.
At any rate, you absolutely cannot drive this with the new IPC installed until it is programmed or it will lock and you'll be in trouble with the state police and you'll have to get an odometer statement for your title which will make it hard to sell later on.

I am not sure about pricing.

#8 ·
It could be complicated. We have to get them brand new with the memory cleared. We cannot reprogram a cluster from another truck, I say that mainly so people understand that.
Once the programming is complete and the mileage/hours are put in the unit is locked after 6 minutes of operation.

It is easy to install and the programming doesn't take too long but I'd count on at least an hour by whatever your local labor rates are.
Honestly you'd have to call and find out what they might charge.

#10 ·
I believe you can get one from ebay, send it in to Specmo (or another Delco authorized repair facility) and have it reset then take it to a dealer for programming.
The installation must be done before the vehicle is driven.
You can usually call Specmo and ask them questions like that. Look on their website and call their retail sales phone number.

The ones we get are refurbished, not "brand new".

#11 ·
when you said they wont reprogram a cluster from another truck i immediately thought of ebay to get my hands on 1, but after re reading, you said you get them refurbed. so can i just tell my dealer i want a 05-06 cluster and get a refurbed one from them? then have them program it and install. if so, what do they normally go for (the cluster)? on ebay they're around 300 and up, cheapest i saw was 284 and that's to get the refurbed 05-06 and i would have to give them my 04 cluster. i would imagine the dealers more expensive, and now im getting close to 5 600 bucks just to get a 05-06 cluster ehh

#13 ·
I think you could buy a cluster, send it to Specmo for the reset, then take it to a dealer for install and programming.
Two types of programming have to take place, one is called "SPS programming". This ensures the proper calibrations are installed in the cluster for your vehicle.
The second programming is to enter the mileage and hours.
The two must be done together and the truck cannot be driven between installation and the programming.
Once programming is complete the cluster is locked.

I thought I had heard of guys sending clusters to specmo and paying the fee then having it installed or in some cases (on pre-programmed ones like a CTS) installing it themselves.
There are other service centers, we just use Specmo so I know of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.