: How cold IS it?

Cadillac Giovanni
01-04-10, 06:31 PM
So cold, that I barely touched my hood ornament to clean the snow around it, and it broke clean off!

The past few days have been in the low teens here in southeastern MA, and I suppose something had to give. What a bummer though. Without seeing the hood ornament while I'm driving, I feel like I'm in a different car...

HUF
01-04-10, 07:03 PM
Check out eBay.

outsider
01-04-10, 08:18 PM
where did it break?
if it was just the peice of wire or whatever holding the thing on you could probably reattach it.

Yeqon
01-04-10, 08:57 PM
Low teens... that is shorts weather! We were -36 the other morning just north of here.

Bro-Ham
01-04-10, 10:25 PM
Don't feel bad. Cold here too. Average high should be 73 and for the last several days it's been in the 50's. Yesterday was gloomy, windy and raw and mid 50's. Today sunny but only 53. Weather Channel says upper 60's in the next 6 or 7 days. Until then: Brrrr! The natives here are wearing winter coats! You can tell the tourists from up north who think it's not all that bad and they're in shorts and polo shirts, hands in pockets though. I don't have a winter jacket anymore! The cold weather today didn't stop me from wearing shorts anyway. I did warm up the Cad for about 5 minutes this morning and about 15 minutes this evening at the office so it was toasty and warm inside for the ride home. :)

supercad1
01-04-10, 10:29 PM
Don't feel bad. Cold here too. Average high should be 73 and for the last several days it's been in the 50's. Yesterday was gloomy, windy and raw and mid 50's. Today sunny but only 53. Weather Channel says upper 60's in the next 6 or 7 days. Until then: Brrrr! The natives here are wearing winter coats! You can tell the tourists from up north who think it's not all that bad and they're in shorts and polo shirts, hands in pockets though. I don't have a winter jacket anymore! The cold weather today didn't stop me from wearing shorts anyway. I did warm up the Cad for about 5 minutes this morning and about 15 minutes this evening at the office so it was toasty and warm inside for the ride home. :)

Poor baby.:thepan:

I can only wish it could be like that here in the Midwest.

thefleetwoodguy
01-04-10, 10:59 PM
its been a bastard up here for the last month
-15 windchill's, and 3-7 deg during the day
after 18 years in Hawaii this weather kills me!

thank god its my last new england winter

if the h/orn is the same as the 93-96 fltwds I have a couple of them
I can help you out,

I lost a perfect condition dash board a few days ago to the damn
cold, I wish It was only a hood ornament :crybaby:

77CDV
01-04-10, 11:16 PM
So cold, that I barely touched my hood ornament to clean the snow around it, and it broke clean off!

The past few days have been in the low teens here in southeastern MA, and I suppose something had to give. What a bummer though. Without seeing the hood ornament while I'm driving, I feel like I'm in a different car...

Low teens... that is shorts weather! We were -36 the other morning just north of here.

Poor baby.:thepan:

I can only wish it could be like that here in the Midwest.

its been a bastard up here for the last month
-15 windchill's, and 3-7 deg during the day
after 18 years in Hawaii this weather kills me!

thank god its my last new england winter

I can help you out,

I lost a perfect condition dash board a few days ago to the damn
cold, I wish It was only a hood ornament :crybaby:

And you all live in these places why? :confused:

jey
01-04-10, 11:27 PM
This picture is from last year, and is a nice reminder to me that it has yet to get worse before getting warmer.

http://www.jeyping.com/journal/images/1degree.jpg

77CDV
01-04-10, 11:46 PM
Ye gods!

Bro-Ham
01-04-10, 11:51 PM
This picture is from last year, and is a nice reminder to me that it has yet to get worse before getting warmer.

http://www.jeyping.com/journal/images/1degree.jpg

I am soooooo busy that day! :)

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-05-10, 01:44 AM
I live in the Midwest because I enjoy the change. Yeah its cold but at the same time its eerily beautiful. Everything in winter is so quiet and peaceful. There is nothing better than going for a walk when its like 25 out and there is a full moon and snow on the ground.

csbuckn
01-05-10, 02:10 AM
Ya know, its cool when its 15 and up but when it gets to a temp that you cant even enjoy being outside, you cant unlock your car door and it barely starts, it makes me want to go back to Texas. I broke my emblem last winter. But I'm torn, if I moved back to Fort Hood, I'd really miss this place and would want to come back eventually.

sven914
01-05-10, 03:12 AM
I can't wait to leave Ohio. At least Minnesota and Wisconsin are consistently cold. In Ohio, the cold lasts long enough for us to just get use to it. Then the January thaw comes and we get a good week of nice Spring like, 60 degree sunny days, and everyone forgets it's winter. But then right after the grass thaws out and you can start to smell the sweetness of Spring... It's negative 10! And then the weather starts playing mind games; 20* followed by 70* followed by 16* followed by rain fallowed by snow followed by 40* followed sleet followed sun by followed by a four weeks of a dry -10*. You can experience all four seasons in one week.

The worse part of it though is when it doesn't snow. The snow at least gives you something to look at, to remind you it's cold. I hate looking out across the yard on a bright sunny day, seeing the green grass and the sun and the clouds, and thinking that it is a nice day, a warm day, and walking outside to find the bitter cold of 3 degrees with a negative 14 wind chill.

I can help you out,

The 93-96 hood ornament basses are circular (like on the '80's RWD de Ville's, and post '85 FWD Fleetwood/de Ville's). I think the ornament is also the smaller one used on the FWD cars.

robb257731
01-05-10, 09:39 AM
I had that happen last year...the snow brush just whispered past the hood ornament and SNAP! Ebay for sure...just make sure you get the right base. I stocked up after the first incident!

mjs182004
01-05-10, 09:46 AM
I can't complain, it about 23º F right now. I feel bad for the guys living in upstate New York with all that snow.

Bro-Ham
01-05-10, 11:47 AM
I remember living in Minnesota. Brrrrrr!!! After reading some of the comments above I remember justifying and convincing myself that winter was pretty and being outside in the cold was healthy and invigorating and that I loved the change of seasons. You need to do whatever it takes to make your way through winter in the north and the psychological aspect of making yourself believe is critical especially as the winter, cold, snow, and dreariness drags on and on for all those months. I have the pleasant memories of the few days I truly enjoyed winter up north and that's enough for me. :) As I look at my snazzy and clean 79 Cad in the driveway I can't wait to drive it here in the sunshine state where it is sunny 300+ days per year. :) Stay warm everyone and make a road trip plan for the winter to roll your Cadillac south to thaw your car and your soul! :)

My_favorite_Brougham
01-05-10, 12:31 PM
I wore shorts and t-shirt yesterday (though not for very long). :D

deVille33
01-05-10, 10:52 PM
It didn't get out of the teens here in the Berkshire Hills last week. Was in the 20's today but once the cold sets in, it takes higher temperatures than that to get the chill out of your bones. LOL

jayoldschool
01-05-10, 11:26 PM
You guys really don't want the story from here. My only consolation is that last week was spent cruising around the Caribbean. It was COLD in Ft. Lauderdale when I got back, though! The locals were wearing toques!

greencadillacmatt
01-05-10, 11:40 PM
Jay, it's a good thing all of your cars are kept indoors. Otherwise you'd be living in cracked-dash city!

Stingroo
01-06-10, 12:25 AM
Yeah, the locals in south Florida are idiots. They wear down jackets and uggs in 40 degree weather. Please...

It's been cold in Florida recently though... tomorrow's morning low for me in Jax - 25 degrees.

Global warming can kiss my ass.

Bro-Ham
01-06-10, 12:45 AM
StingO, I think you mean 25 degrees not - 25. It's over 10 degrees cooler way up north where you are compared to here. At least it's sunny here during the day and in a few days the cold weather will a distant memory. :)

Stingroo
01-06-10, 12:49 AM
No, I didn't mean for the dash to indicate a negative, that's why I put the space. It's 25 degrees. Negative 25 would be freakin' insane, and I'd be driving the biggest, most polluting vehicle I could find over to Al Gore's house at that point, and punching him in his self-righteous face.

sven914
01-06-10, 01:41 AM
Global warming can kiss my ass.

Global warming (if in fact it and ManBearPig do really exist) can cause extremes at both ends of the spectrum.

The warming effect introduces more fresh water into the warm water oceanic currents. The oceanic currents are responsible for the warm temperatures and temperate climate along the coastlines because they bring warm air currents with them. Basically the oceanic currents work by having the warm salt water absorb the cold from the air, thus warming the air.

Salt water is more dense than fresh water, so fresh water being introduced into the ocean by global warming sits on top of the salt water. The fresh water cannot absorb the cold from the air, so the air never gets warmed before it is delivered to the coast lines. That cold air causes more severe winter weather.

The overall effects of global warming are warmer, milder winters with fewer but more severe storms, and cooler, dryer summers with fewer but more severe storms. The reason for the cooler summers is because of the dilution of the oceanic currents, but because the global temperature is increasing, it causes those summer heat waves.

jayoldschool
01-06-10, 12:27 PM
Look at the big brain on Sven! :D

This is why we should say "climate change", of course, rather than "global warming". Our planet is on a tilted axis, so we have seasons.

Please, someone, get this back on topic with a Cadillac reference! I may have to go put a crest and wreath on the hood of my John Deere...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/jayoldschool/002.jpg

Yeqon
01-06-10, 12:58 PM
I like the John Deere maybe that should be my winter ride... After -86 in Fargo during college at least -20's is still 60 degrees warmer! Good luck with the emblem. I know I had a leaper crack off due to the cold a few years back and found a new one on ebay for a decent price.

csbuckn
01-06-10, 01:20 PM
If you do the emblem, you have to do a d'el seat and hubcaps!!

Stingroo
01-06-10, 01:32 PM
Yeah, but "climate change" is a known phenomenon that's been happening for millions of years. "Global warming" is a fictitious event drummed up by politicians to scare us into buying "greener" (read: more expensive) products. ;)

Also, Bro-Ham for President, 2012!

csbuckn
01-06-10, 01:59 PM
Also, Bro-Ham for President, 2012!

Got my vote.

More on topic, is there ever a temp where it wouldnt be good to start a car? Or any other weather besides disaster where you wouldnt want to start it?

Bro-Ham
01-06-10, 02:42 PM
There is no man made global warming or climate change - PERIOD. Don't doubt me on this - it will become more than clear as the hoax is exposed. :) By the way, as I've said before and will say now again, I will accept appointment to the presidency and, in the spirit of my VP, StingO, the whitehouse will be repainted a pretty shade of orange. :)

Bro-Ham
01-06-10, 03:08 PM
Got my vote.

More on topic, is there ever a temp where it wouldnt be good to start a car? Or any other weather besides disaster where you wouldnt want to start it?

CS, Are you asking about northern Alaska kind of temps where it's so cold that people leave their cars running 24/7?

My 79 Cad accidentally sat outside at my X's place for two years up until this spring when it was used as a backup car for a 2001 TDI Jetta diesel. Anyway, the 79 Cadillac started every morning while outside, even on those minus 30 degree mornings.

When the Obama programs started to be announced early last spring I needed my anti-prius protest car so I located my Cadillac, which was quietly sitting outside in a snow bank, and after being dug out and a new battery installed, the car started right up and I had some refreshening done to it and I drove it to Florida and currently drive it every day! The underside didn't get any kind of rust and the outside looks fabulous! These old tanks seem to start in any kind of weather if they're prepared and maintained properly! :)

sven914
01-06-10, 05:35 PM
More on topic, is there ever a temp where it wouldn't be good to start a car? Or any other weather besides disaster where you wouldn't want to start it?

The freezing point of unleaded gasoline is negative 120 degrees, so I would think that would be a bad time/temperature to start your car. On a more happy note, at negative 40 degrees, any exposed skin will instantly freeze.

77CDV
01-06-10, 05:38 PM
That's a happy note? Glad I'm in sunny SoCal, where it's sunny and 75 with a light breeze. :D

MT-ED
01-06-10, 05:56 PM
Went for a little drive on Sunday.............

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/Martin_Thoene/IMG_6527.jpg

Chunky Gooyear Nordics help a bunch.

Martin.

77CDV
01-06-10, 06:20 PM
You can have it and keep it, Martin.

greencadillacmatt
01-06-10, 09:12 PM
Went for a little drive on Sunday.............

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/Martin_Thoene/IMG_6527.jpg

Chunky Gooyear Nordics help a bunch.

Martin.

Is it just me, or does it look like the car is riding REALLY high? :hmm:

Bro-Ham
01-06-10, 10:26 PM
Maybe it looks high because there are no hubcaps. I sure don't miss having a dirty and salty car every day slipping and sliding all around with all the other maniac drivers. :)

sven914
01-06-10, 10:39 PM
Snowman...

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3489/1/33720000084_large.jpg

mjs182004
01-06-10, 11:57 PM
^^^ That's Great!

greencadillacmatt
01-07-10, 12:03 AM
And with it's glass-smooth ride, I'll bet that The Snowman stays perched back there for at least a few days. (Or at least until you hit the highway. :D)

Bro-Ham
01-07-10, 11:00 PM
I wore my Minnesota winter jacket today plus a wool sweater and cords! Tonight it's mild then back in the icebox. 3 or 4 more days and then back to normal. I've let my Cad warm up for 5+ minutes and it makes nice heat although I thirst for extreme heat and AC. :) As MLK said, we shall overcome. :) Still driving my Cadillac. This 79 I have, in all its yellowness, is the toughest car I've ever owned!!! :) It's lived through being a garage queen until a few years ago, was abused being outside and running around in Minnesota snow and cold, now the last year in the extreme heat and humidity of Florida. It's the last of the breed of Cadillacs that are unflappable. Plus, no check engine light. I don't know if life is good or bad according to that light I don't have and I'm so thankful for it. Thank you Cadillac for making such an outstanding car, even though it was 31 years ago. :)

MudAnt
01-08-10, 12:32 AM
I declare this thread the "post pics of your FWB with snow on it" thread:

http://marcdegrandpre.com/images/86%20FWB/P1040384.JPG

http://marcdegrandpre.com/images/86%20FWB/P1040385.JPG

http://marcdegrandpre.com/images/86%20FWB/P1040583.JPG

sven914
01-08-10, 01:03 AM
http://marcdegrandpre.com/images/86%20FWB/P1040384.JPG

What's up with those wires? Block heater, your battery/starter run away, or are you going to give a coup de grâce to some hobo?

greencadillacmatt
01-08-10, 01:08 AM
What's up with those wires? Block heater, your battery/starter run away, or are you going to give a coup de grâce to some hobo?

Naw, he's just powering that whole neighborhood. ;)

sven914
01-08-10, 01:11 AM
Oh... I didn't see the wire going back into the trees.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-08-10, 04:58 PM
Mine's in storage, no nasty midwest salt to eat her away.

MudAnt
01-08-10, 07:52 PM

It's for the block heater. My house has 3 switched outside plugs so we can turn on our block heaters without going outside http://sae.tweek.us/static/images/emoticons/emot-razz.gif

greencadillacmatt
01-09-10, 04:11 AM
It's for the block heater. My house has 3 switched outside plugs so we can turn on our block heaters without going outside http://sae.tweek.us/static/images/emoticons/emot-razz.gif

That is a pure bout of genius right there. I just noticed you're in Canada. How cold does it get there that you need a block heater on a gas powered car? Brr...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-09-10, 10:01 AM
I like the John Deere maybe that should be my winter ride... After -86 in Fargo during college at least -20's is still 60 degrees warmer! Good luck with the emblem. I know I had a leaper crack off due to the cold a few years back and found a new one on ebay for a decent price.

-86???? How the hell did you live up there, much less walk outside for more than 1 second??

Please, someone, get this back on topic with a Cadillac reference! I may have to go put a crest and wreath on the hood of my John Deere...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/jayoldschool/002.jpg

Ahh John Deere and Cadillac....you don't get much more American than that. :)

My 79 Cad accidentally sat outside at my X's place for two years up until this spring when it was used as a backup car for a 2001 TDI Jetta diesel. Anyway, the 79 Cadillac started every morning while outside, even on those minus 30 degree mornings.

No wonder you guys split up! :lol: :)

I sure don't miss having a dirty and salty car every day slipping and sliding all around with all the other maniac drivers. :)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1278.jpg

'Sup. :cool2:

BTW, it's -10* up here right now. It was -19* last Saturday morning, and the coldest I remember it getting in recent memory is -31* last January.

MudAnt
01-09-10, 01:39 PM
That is a pure bout of genius right there. I just noticed you're in Canada. How cold does it get there that you need a block heater on a gas powered car? Brr...

Right now it's only about -3c, but it goes down to -30c every now and then. It's not that I need the heater to start it, but it puts less stress on the battery and starter, and it only has to run for a couple minutes to get to operating temperature.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-09-10, 05:38 PM
Block heater + battery heater + pre-heater = ultimate winter domination. I would kill for a pre-heater in my car but I'm too lazy to install one.

Cadillac Giovanni
01-11-10, 02:02 AM
I'd move, but I WOULD miss the snowy winters. Apart from the shoveling, and the road salt, I don't mind them much at all.

I kind of like sliding around. I've got a bit of Dukes of Hazzard in my blood, and snowy roads are the only way the rear tires on that brougham are gonna break free. One of my friends lives down a long unpaved lane that never gets plowed, so it stays covered with packed snow for weeks on end. Every time I visit him, I try and see how long I can hold it sideways. The neighbors aren't fond of me.

jey
01-11-10, 11:30 PM
Got the snow tires on mine too:

http://www.jeyping.com/cars/cadillac/garage3.jpg

Yup that's how far in I have to park it to get it to fit in the garage:

http://www.jeyping.com/cars/cadillac/garage1.jpg

http://www.jeyping.com/cars/cadillac/garage2.jpg

And the other 2 cars get kicked outside I guess :)

Stingroo
01-11-10, 11:34 PM
Sir, I feel as if you need a larger garage. LOL

Is it just me, or does it look like you've hit that wall a couple times?

77CDV
01-12-10, 03:59 AM
And your point is....? :D