: Out with the old... In with the new? My 96' Fleetwood Brougham.

durrk johnson
01-04-10, 04:55 PM
Well, after my beauuuuutiful 80' CDV (big blue) was burnt down in a freak leaf parking accident.... It took months and I was able to get some type of return from insurance and also was able to scrap up the extra cash needed to get a car I never thought I would find or even be able to buy... (Im kinda broke. hahah)... A black 96' Fleetwood Brougham. Im naming him "Hades."

I loved these cars especially seeing our fellow member 96Fleetwood's beautiful "corvette in a tuxedo" with all of the dope mods. That was basically my dream car. hahaha

Got some pics for you guys and a couple big questions already! haha

Well I just took the monster through the carwash and as soon as I hit the underbody flush my car started stalling and my check engine light came on... And now, its still on... I hope I didnt mess something up. i just got plates today.

... I checked under the hood after and my whole engine got soaked!! and so did the radiator etc. I dont really know much about this car as I just got it.... I let him just sit and try to dry out, but its like 0 degrees here right now.

Some phone pics for now... Parked in back of my brothers roadmaster. haha Ill get some better pics soon. :)

durrk johnson
01-04-10, 06:57 PM
Well, my check engine light turned off, and it drives beautifully.

Apparently i just heard that going to carwashes in -10 degree weather can seriously hurt your car... jeez. i did not know that.

HUF
01-04-10, 07:02 PM
Nice ride! Congrats! It never hurts to check/clear trouble codes after it dries out.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-04-10, 07:40 PM
I wonder if it has something to do with that dang optispark....?

Nice looking ride!

Bro-Ham
01-04-10, 07:54 PM
Love your black beauty!! :)

outsider
01-04-10, 08:17 PM
nice man.

And be careful, if your whole engine is getting wet when you go through the car wash then the rapid cooling of the engine could cause major damage, including cracking the block. Should also watch out going through puddles, too, if that's the case.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-04-10, 08:26 PM
Is it better to wash a car when it's this cold right after you start it, and before a long day on the road? That's what I do in the Astro. Wash it right away in the morning and then drive all day in it. I've had no problems aside from doors/windows/locks freezing.

greencadillacmatt
01-04-10, 11:14 PM
Wow, what a great car! Glad to see that you did your homework on them, and obviously it paid off. I know it isn't quite the same as Big Blue (may she rest in peace) but a VERY nice find. You'll have many great memories with Hades, I'm sure!

jey
01-04-10, 11:17 PM
Congrats on the new ride! LT1 power!

77CDV
01-04-10, 11:22 PM
Is it better to wash a car when it's this cold right after you start it, and before a long day on the road? That's what I do in the Astro. Wash it right away in the morning and then drive all day in it. I've had no problems aside from doors/windows/locks freezing.

Gorgeous car!!!! My mom's '87 Olds 98 used to light up the idiot lights when the engine would get wet, like when it rained or I washed the car or drove through standing water too fast. I think it had to do with the water causing a temporary ground in some of the electrical connection.

Chad, now that I know you wash cars in weather like you're having, I must officially regard you as in-freakin'-sane. What is it, like, -100 up there now?

96Fleetwood
01-04-10, 11:29 PM
Congrats! She is a beauty!

Any plans for mods? :devil:

durrk johnson
01-04-10, 11:46 PM
Hey thanks for checkin out the thread guys!

And 96Fleetwood...
When I get my funds up, There will definately be some modifications. :D

77CDV
01-04-10, 11:47 PM
Just stay away from fallen leaves.

durrk johnson
01-04-10, 11:48 PM
^^^ hahaha

Most definately. :D

csbuckn
01-05-10, 12:39 AM
Nice car. Looks like you came out on top after all the smoke cleared. Congrats

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-05-10, 01:41 AM
She's a beauty. You definitely need white walls though.

96Fleetwood
01-05-10, 08:25 AM
She's a beauty. You definitely need white walls though.

.. or a set of Impala SS wheels with Caddy centers. The first set of wheels I had on my Fleetwood were chrome SS wheels with custom Caddy centers:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/leloz/caddylowres.jpg

mjs182004
01-05-10, 09:49 AM
Congrats Man! What number is the Heritage Badge?

durrk johnson
01-05-10, 11:32 AM
Thanks! hmmm? I havent checked the heritage badge yet.. i will...

And 96' Fleetwood... Thsoe are the wheels i want. hahahah

Cadillacboy
01-05-10, 01:34 PM
That's a real beauty :) You also have a gold package just as '96Fleetwood's "tuxedo" ;)
I must be envy of you lol ha ha

durrk johnson
01-05-10, 03:16 PM
^^ haha

What's the "gold package?"

One thing the car doesnt have, that wouldve been awesome, is the sunroof. haha

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-05-10, 04:11 PM
Gold badges on the exterior.

durrk johnson
01-05-10, 04:50 PM
Well.. my badge number is XV or 15... What does that mean?

I was ch3ecking out some of my vin codes... It says i have the d 'elegence package. (v4s).. Whats that?

kevinf
01-05-10, 06:19 PM
Hmm, I can't quote for some reason but I would bet you have a miss from getting either your opti wet or plug wires. My LT1 would stumble and miss after sitting outside over night in the rain. Once the engine warmed up or dried outside, it ran just fine.

HUF
01-05-10, 08:14 PM
Well.. my badge number is XV or 15... What does that mean?

Heritage of Ownership Medallion
Factory program designed to help long time owners display their loyalty to Cadillac.

Called a "Heritage of Ownership" medallion it is a solid brass circular emblem, with a raised circle, within a circle, it has the words "Cadillac Heritage of Ownership" around the outside and roman numerals on the inside. The roman numerals are supposed to represent how many Cadillacs you have owned - starting with I thru XVII, there are also inserts with only the Cadillac script on it and another one labeled "Master Owner".

sven914
01-05-10, 08:52 PM
I was ch3ecking out some of my vin codes... It says i have the d 'elegence package. (v4s).. Whats that?

The d'Elegance package was a Cadillac luxury package beginning in 1973. It gave more plush, pillow like seats and a different rear gear ratio on some cars.

d'Elegance was not available on the last gen Fleetwoods. RPO V4S indicates the Brougham package, which was the same option as d'Elegance, but also makes last gen Fleetwoods, Cadillac Fleetwood Broughams.

durrk johnson
01-06-10, 01:23 AM
Ahh, thanks!

I have a question guys if you could help me out...

My "pass key fault" light stays on... From what i have read, my car should have start up problems, but it doesnt seem to, and the light stays on the whol etime I drive until i shut the car off.

What does this mean?

Also, I dont know if my alarm works because my remote obviously doesnt, even with a new battery...

How could I check this out?

csbuckn
01-06-10, 02:29 AM
Those two sound like it may be related, how are the fuses?

HUF
01-06-10, 03:17 AM
Ahh, thanks!

I have a question guys if you could help me out...

My "pass key fault" light stays on... From what i have read, my car should have start up problems, but it doesnt seem to, and the light stays on the whol etime I drive until i shut the car off.

What does this mean?

Also, I dont know if my alarm works because my remote obviously doesnt, even with a new battery...

How could I check this out?
You probably need to ask the previous owner about it.

robb257731
01-06-10, 10:05 AM
Would it be hugely rude of me to ask how much you paid? I'm trying to find one up here in Canada but am having no luck...no idea how much I should be looking at.

outsider
01-06-10, 10:35 AM
I think he said $3,000 american

durrk johnson
01-06-10, 11:20 AM
Those two sound like it may be related, how are the fuses?

Hey thanks guys...

I dont know exactly... as I havent looked yet. But i probably should check that out huh?

For being the new owner, i havent looked around much, like at the engine or fuses.. Its just been super cold here in WI and i dont wanna be out there messin with my car. haha

But yeah, Im thinking that guy might have had an aftermarket alarm installed in it at one time or something.. I saw a red wire for subs, and the fuse box door looks like its loose a little.... And from what Ive read, if the "pass keyfault" light is on, my car shouldnt be starting. I also saw that an easy fix would to get a new key.

And I paid 3,000 dollars. He was trying to sell it for 3800, and then 3500, and I was able to get him down to 3000.

outsider
01-06-10, 02:17 PM
yeah i would assume pass key would be like a coded key feature or something. Maybe he disabled the coded key system? Just an idea

HUF
01-06-10, 04:56 PM
Hey thanks guys...

I dont know exactly... as I havent looked yet. But i probably should check that out huh?

For being the new owner, i havent looked around much, like at the engine or fuses.. Its just been super cold here in WI and i dont wanna be out there messin with my car. haha

But yeah, Im thinking that guy might have had an aftermarket alarm installed in it at one time or something.. I saw a red wire for subs, and the fuse box door looks like its loose a little.... And from what Ive read, if the "pass keyfault" light is on, my car shouldnt be starting. I also saw that an easy fix would to get a new key.

And I paid 3,000 dollars. He was trying to sell it for 3800, and then 3500, and I was able to get him down to 3000.
$3,000 sounds good. How many miles?

durrk johnson
01-06-10, 06:55 PM
There is about 137000 miles...

I would really like to find out whats up with my alarm, maybe I should just buy another remote and see if that works?

And with the "pass key fault" Im beginning to think he bypassed it because it stays on and my car starts fine. And yes, it has to do with the little security chip on the key i guess.

And should I be using premium? Because I just filled up with mid-grade. :/

thefleetwoodguy
01-06-10, 07:11 PM
these cars run fine on regular 87
higher grade is a waist of money I/M/O, on a LT1 caddy

just because the pass key light is on
doesnt mean the car shouldn't start
its a warning light that theres some
issue in the circuit, could be the ignition switch "pellets"
or in the ccm, I had a 93 that showed the passkey light for 6 months before it wouldnt start,

Stingroo
01-06-10, 07:17 PM
The cars can run on 87, as far as I know.

durrk johnson
01-06-10, 07:42 PM
Hey guys... Im beginning to think there might be something with the fuses.. Because my twilight sentinel was working and now it doesnt seem to be, and my lights dont turn off until I take out the key now... What should I do about the "pass key fault?"

I dont really want to take it to a caddy dealership and have to pay 100$ an hour. :(

HUF
01-06-10, 08:04 PM
Hey guys... Im beginning to think there might be something with the fuses.. Because my twilight sentinel was working and now it doesnt seem to be, and my lights dont turn off until I take out the key now... What should I do about the "pass key fault?"

I dont really want to take it to a caddy dealership and have to pay 100$ an hour. :(

Remote starters often mess up all the complex electronics in Cadillacs. I would get rid of it. But you still have to figure out what is going on. Get the trouble codes as a first step.

durrk johnson
01-06-10, 08:07 PM
^^Wait... I dont have a remote start... I was just talking about my remote not working? You know, for unlocking/locking the doors and arming/disarming the factory alarm system? I dont know if the factory alarm system even works... oh yes, and i gotta run diagnostics...

durrk johnson
01-06-10, 09:30 PM
Okay guys... I talked to the previous owner, he said the cars had the "key pass fault" light on for about 2 years and he didnt have any trouble with it. And he also said I might need new keys and that he would pay for it if necessary, but i told him thats okay...

00 I got no PCM codes.
01 I got a whole mess of trouble codes from the CCM. - 43, 120, 122, 124, 125, 126, 130, 131, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 143, 144
02 I got one HVAC code... - 126
03 I got no SIR codes...
04 And I got a couple ABS/TC codes... 172, 164

So it appears I have issues with the CCM...

Ehm, jeez, I dont understand what any of these mean... can anyone tell me what these codes mean?

durrk johnson
01-06-10, 10:52 PM
Wait.. did I even get the right codes? I cant find the definitions anywhere...

HUF
01-06-10, 10:59 PM
Wait.. did I even get the right codes? I cant find the definitions anywhere...

Read this thread up, you are in a similar situation. There are the links to interpret the codes in that thread as well.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/188744-93-fleetwood-wont-start-does-crank.html

thefleetwoodguy
01-06-10, 11:01 PM
the codes with a "1" in front means stored code, or old code
and doesnt even mean they were problems
and its not unusual to see a bunch
clear the codes and see what resets
most likely only the 43

dont throw your ccm under the bus just yet...

durrk johnson
01-06-10, 11:25 PM
^^ OH really? Thanks man, i wouldnt even think about throwing my ccm under the bus, Im broke. lol

That sounds great that theyre just stored or old codes... how do i clear the codes?

Also, My climate control has different buttons that the one in that roadmaster in the video. I had to press the "ext temp" button to get the codes... And I dont have a mode button.

77CDV
01-07-10, 02:02 AM
Someone needs a FSM.

durrk johnson
01-07-10, 03:40 AM
ahh, I checked out one of the links and got my answer. Thanks for all of the help so far guys! It is very much appreciated!