: Problems w/255/40R19 rear snow tires

dmp
01-04-10, 12:26 PM
I am trying to order snow tires for the '09 CTS-V I picked up on New Year's Eve, but I am concerned about all of this talk about problems w/255/40 R19 on the rear. I love Blizzak tires and I live in a secondary snow belt in northeast Ohio. Can anyone confirm success with 255/40R19 rears, or do I have to run Pirelli Sottozero 285/35R19s on the rear? (NOTE: I am not a fan of Pirelli tires, so I would prefer Blizzaks.)

Thanks,
Doug

dvandentop
01-04-10, 12:44 PM
i have talked to several members who have had no issues with the 255 in the rears, i will be getting 255 also so i will find out 1 way or another.

i will update if no one else chimes in thanks

neuronbob
01-04-10, 01:15 PM
Hey, another NE Ohioan with a V! Congrats! :woot: I think that makes three on this board. You don't HAVE to run SottoZeros, the Blizzaks are just fine...though they don't come in the stock size for the rear.

There has been a lot of debate on the board recently about the use of 255 rears but I suspect they work fine. Where all the sturm und drang comes from is that last winter, a V owner posted that being slightly off on the sidewall size caused major problems with Stabilitrak activation, causing trouble lights and the like. I suspect that if you keep the rolling diameter as close to stock as possible, you will be just fine. I think one person has posted that the 255 size is OK on the rears, it'll take some digging to find that post.

I also live in the secondary snow belt (SE Cuyahoga Co) and am running the stock size Sottozeros (e.g. 285 rears). I made my first truly snowy commute in them today. The last three days (including this AM), I've gotten (cumulatively) 18 inches of snow where I live. In snow, I had no traction problems as long as I modulated the throttle properly; I was able to drive the speed limit on most streets, and trust me they were bad this morning as you can probably attest. On snow with a layer of ice, the car would slip a little, activating Stabilitrak, but that would happen with most cars anyway. I did not feel my safety was compromised and I did not get stuck. :) Stopping distance was excellent--I tested this a few times on a hill near my house yesterday.

That said, the Blizzaks are an excellent alternative. I haven't personally experienced them and so can't help you there.

dmp
01-04-10, 02:19 PM
Well, I'm a little nervous, but guess I will be reporting back on Blizzak LM-60 255/40R19 on the '09 CTS-V. I am ordering through a trusted tire shop that will take care of a switch if the Stabillitrak goes crazy, but they are pretty confident it will be fine. I am guessing I'll lose some dry pavement traction vs the Pirelli, but the Blizzak's should be noticeably better on snow and ice. I've run Blizzak's for years on Saabs and our Honda Odysseys, and they are just awesome.

Plus, I still have the '02 Saab 95 Aero with Blizzaks on it for the really bad days.

-Doug

ps. Calling Cadillac service departments was a crap shoot. One said do 285, the other said 255 is fine, but talk to a tire shop... ;-) Great help.

Dick's06Vee
01-04-10, 02:48 PM
Not to worry Doug. I have 255 40R19's all around on my V2 and have had absolutely no issues with the Stabili-track going haywire. Everything works flawlessly. Unlike most though, I've gone with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta snows. I had them on my V1 and loved them. Great traction in deep snow, great steering control offered with the fronts, I suspect better than average on hard packed and certainly decent traction on cold bare dry surfaces. Each to his own, but for me there was no sense in trying to re-invent the wheel. Dick

grandsport5
01-04-10, 07:00 PM
I have Blizzak LM-60 255/40R19's all the way around on mine and it does just fine. The only issue is that you must pay attention to how hard you push down you're right foot. They are not PS/2's! They do a great job in the snow and slippery stuff though.

dg144
01-04-10, 07:20 PM
I have the sottozero in stock size and love them, great tires. A friend of mine had the pirelli's in 255 all around and has no issue, I really don't think there is that big of a difference, I doubt anyone is pushing too hard in the winter anyway, let us know if you get that beast on the track at Nelsons Ledges in the summer though.

dmp
01-04-10, 07:32 PM
All-

Thanks for the info!

I have 255 40R19's all around on my V2 and have had absolutely no issues with the Stabili-track going haywire. Everything works flawlessly. Unlike most though, I've gone with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta snows.

Hakka or Gislaved would be my second choices for pure snow tires. The Sottozero's would be fine under almost all conditions (and better on dry roads), but going back to RWD after years of treating unplowed interstate lanes (on I-271, I-90 and OH-2) as express lanes during snowstorms I'm ok with the Blizzaks (as long as the car's computer doesn't complain.) If I lived on the other side of Cleveland, I would likely try the Pirelli Sottozeros.

BTW, If anyone knows a useful phone number for Cadillac for technical questions like this, please let me know. I didn't get any help from the 800 number and a couple of local service departments were split.

-Doug

neuronbob
01-04-10, 08:40 PM
Hakka or Gislaved would be my second choices for pure snow tires. The Sottozero's would be fine under almost all conditions (and better on dry roads), but going back to RWD after years of treating unplowed interstate lanes (on I-271, I-90 and OH-2) as express lanes during snowstorms I'm ok with the Blizzaks (as long as the car's computer doesn't complain.) If I lived on the other side of Cleveland, I would likely try the Pirelli Sottozeros.

I have to admit....there are many of the 20 winters I've lived here in Cleveland during which I wish I lived on the West Side, too. As it is, I thank my lucky stars that the only part of I-271 I drive is in Bedford. I would be frustrated to drive I-271 between 422 and I-90 on a daily basis during weather like this. :thehand: :eek:

BTW...another 7 inches in the driveway when I got home tonight. Dangit.

zevee
01-04-10, 11:09 PM
Are you guys talking about 255/40 all around on stock wheels or new wheels?

dmp
01-04-10, 11:42 PM

For this winter I'm putting them on stock wheels, especially since I'm keeping the old 95, but I'll look at a set of semi-disposable ASA's for next winter, but Tire Rack's stock right now is not good.

255/40R19 sizing should fit wheel widths of 8.5-10 IIRC. So, the rear 19x9.5 will make the rear tires slightly wider than the front tires, but overall diameter should be the same.

anonfrank- I think you are getting hit a little harder down south, but I'm only a mile south of the lake.

zevee
01-04-10, 11:51 PM
has anyone tried 1010tires from canada? good selection of wheels.

Dick's06Vee
01-05-10, 09:23 AM

I bought my car out of inventory. It came with the painted wheels. This fall I bought a new set of the polished OE wheels for summer. Mounted my snows on the painted rims and my PS2's on the new polished rims.

dvandentop
01-05-10, 03:26 PM
just got my 4 255 sottos in they were used 80 percent left for 400 shipped. damn good deal. they actually have more tread then i expected. cant wait to try em out .

CoOlSlY
01-05-10, 09:01 PM
For this winter I'm putting them on stock wheels, especially since I'm keeping the old 95, but I'll look at a set of semi-disposable ASA's for next winter, but Tire Rack's stock right now is not good.

255/40R19 sizing should fit wheel widths of 8.5-10 IIRC. So, the rear 19x9.5 will make the rear tires slightly wider than the front tires, but overall diameter should be the same.

anonfrank- I think you are getting hit a little harder down south, but I'm only a mile south of the lake.

I've been told that the offset need to be 42&up so i'm really wondering wich wheels from 1010tires.com would fit properly and they said they can ship me one to test fit *but*, shipping both ways on my side and a restocking of 15% if I send it back so before ordering, I need to make sure they fit. Any help is welcomed, I have very little knowledge in wheels width/offset/height, etc...

zevee
01-05-10, 11:12 PM
i called 1010tires, none of their wheels will fit the V