: Going in again! HG's first, now torque converter

bigblockolds
01-03-10, 01:22 PM
Got my 1998 Eldo ETC with 80k back together after Norms inserts and all new gaskets, seals and rod and main bearings. Took about 40 hours from start to finish. Made every attempt to not leave anything to chance, so I replaced all the gaskets and seals and also the bearings while I was there. Not a job I was hoping to do any time again soon, however...

Now after a few weeks of around town driving, the car runs great by the way, we went on a trip yesterday and on the highway, the service engine soon light came on. P0741 torque converter code came up. All the reading I've been trying to do indicates that the torque converter has a problem and some seals in the trans are bad.

So in I go again! :cookoo::cookoo::cookoo::cookoo::cookoo::cookoo:

Any one have any enlightening stories on how they got code P0741 and found a "blank" in their "blank" and it wasn't a bad torque converter and bad seals?

dtino
01-03-10, 01:51 PM
Hey BidBlock, since you have done the HG's on yours, can you tell me what the tightening sequence is on the heads? I go a Haynes manual but it was a waste of money when it comes to doing the heads.
Thanks, dtino

Submariner409
01-03-10, 02:16 PM
The answer is in your identical 4.6 Northstar thread.

Krashed989
01-04-10, 12:41 AM
P0741 - TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) System Stuck Off

That's usually just a $35 solenoid, or burnt wiring just before that solenoid. The solenoid is highlighted in pics in this post: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/184417-my-turn-do-home-northstar-headgasket-4.html#post2073218

the solenoid is GM part #24227792

www.gmpartsdirect.com has it for $30 + shipping.

97EldoCoupe
01-04-10, 06:27 PM
It is not always just the solenoid. If you have code P1860 I believe it is then yes, if you do not have this code, you're in for more transmission work.

ejguillot
01-22-10, 06:03 PM
How did the repair go? Did you need to replace the torque converter?