: actual wire grille for '10 CTS-V

vjjack04
01-03-10, 07:15 AM
Just bought a '10 CTS-V (Pearl white) and was wondering if someone makes a replacement grille (upper and lower) in metal mesh (like the '07 that I traded). I really am inpressed with the car, but like the old grille...thanks.
John Jackson
Hereford AZ

Gary Wells
01-03-10, 07:46 AM
D3 research & Design, AKA D3 Cadillac, has some great products for aesthetics, handling, braking, & the RWHP & RWTQ crowd.

http://www.d3cadillac.com/vehicles-CTS-08.php#exterior

vjjack04
01-03-10, 08:14 AM
Thanks,
I have their website and will contact them (D3) but don't see a CTS-V grille.

I just got the car yesterday (for my wife) and like everything about it except the grille. Oh and I will change the rims as well.

Would like to see pictures or would like info on someone who has changed the grille and or rims.

thebigjimsho
01-03-10, 01:24 PM
D3's aesthetic mods are a little whack for the V...

dvandentop
01-03-10, 05:53 PM
yeah i was a little disappointed to see they werent real metal like the v1's

Gary Wells
01-03-10, 06:13 PM
I thought that D3 Research & Design had wire mesh replacement screens for the '09 CTS-V, but maybe I am incorrect on that. Their custom designed products may not be for everybody, but I am sure that they have a following. I was in D3's shop last week about Monday having my isolator replaced, and I thought that I saw some real wire mesh screens in a pattern such as would be used in either a CTS or a CTS-V. They do offer some very innovative products for our cars and their work, in my opinion, is definitely top notch. They will have out lowering springs for our cars very soon that should complement the Magnetic Ride Suspension. They are the only shop on the West Coast that I know of that truly specializes in high performance work for the CTS & CTS-V.

62Jeff
01-03-10, 08:51 PM
There was a real wire grill on e-bay just this morning for an 09/10 CTS-V

I'm not a fan of the gold though...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-09-10-CADILLAC-CTS-GRILLE-GRILL-CTS-V-STAINLESS-MESH_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439c728c22QQitemZ2 90387561506QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcc essories

vjjack04
01-03-10, 09:11 PM
I thought that D3 Research & Design had wire mesh replacement screens for the '09 CTS-V, but maybe I am incorrect on that. Their custom designed products may not be for everybody, but I am sure that they have a following. I was in D3's shop last week about Monday having my isolator replaced, and I thought that I saw some real wire mesh screens in a pattern such as would be used in either a CTS or a CTS-V. They do offer some very innovative products for our cars and their work, in my opinion, is definitely top notch. They will have out lowering springs for our cars very soon that should complement the Magnetic Ride Suspension. They are the only shop on the West Coast that I know of that truly specializes in high performance work for the CTS & CTS-V.

Gary (an others) thanks for the info. I think that (from their website) that D3 is a top Cadi tuner POC. I will contact them. Thanks Gary - you arent "THE" Gary Wells - right?

All kiddiing aside - let me know if they can build me a black wire mesh CTS-V grille ('010) - I love the car but think that the grille is "cheesy"...Thanks, though, Gary.

vjjack04
01-04-10, 10:02 AM
The link sent on e-bay is for a regular CTS and not a V. Thanks though (it is also very cheesy in gold).

I hope to find one in the metal weave that is black. I will look into D3. If someone doesn't make them they should start. I bet that it would be a big hit. It is the only fault I can find with the look of these cars...

Gary Wells
01-04-10, 10:27 AM
I am sure that James will be on here sometime today with a response, and maybe enough interest to make them if his company doesn't already.

DrumStix
01-04-10, 10:37 AM
D3's aesthetic mods are a little whack for the V...

Wurd. Ghetto whack.

Dr. Design
01-04-10, 12:58 PM
Well thank you! It's good to see the strong support for our products. This kind of support will really help keep the aftermarket segment pushing forward.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) we don't make a wire mesh grille for the 09/10 CTS-V. Although in the next design meeting, I will be sure to suggest that we make a "ghetto whack" grille.

One can only assume that comments like this are made purely based on speculation and assumptions, considering if you ever experience our products and services you would certainly surmise that we are not "ghetto" in any fashion.

We understand people have their opinions and one would not expect to make everyone happy...

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Wurd. Ghetto whack.

Razorecko
01-04-10, 04:00 PM
as of right now nobody makes any type of insert replacements as the cts-v bumper grills are entirely different than the regular cts's. I got a steal on a top and bottom grill from a crashed v on ebay but that was a rare lucky chance. I plan on painting the chrome grating oem black raven to mach the vehicles paint. Should realllly make the V stand out...

vjjack04
01-04-10, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the response from D3. I did call as I believe a real wire mesh 2nd Gen grille would be a big hit. I think the fascia you sell for the standard CTS looks good and the grille area is right on. I really think the stainless type grille in the 1st Gen looks good and I just can't get past the plastic made to look like metal (although they did a good job) in my new one.

I am considering buying a new grille (there's one for sale on this forum area) and attempting to trim and add the wire mesh myself....But I want to ensure it is done correctly and looks factory (or professional aftermarket).

I am sure if D3 was to create such a grille it would be a big hit with folks who have these cars...

H_D_10009
02-03-10, 08:38 PM
you wanna sell your factory grill (upper & lower)?

i wanna black it out & give it a try on my new '10 :)!

just ordered '10 cts-v blak/blak , polish 19ers & automatic trans (hopefully , i can get an performance ecu so i can go 198 like the manuals trans boys :)

Thanks,

I just got the car yesterday (for my wife) and like everything about it except the grille. Oh and I will change the rims as well.

Would like to see pictures or would like info on someone who has changed the grille and or rims.

vjjack04
02-06-10, 08:03 PM
you wanna sell your factory grill (upper & lower)?

i wanna black it out & give it a try on my new '10 :)!

just ordered '10 cts-v blak/blak , polish 19ers & automatic trans (hopefully , i can get an performance ecu so i can go 198 like the manuals trans boys :)

No I do not want to sell it without a replacement; althought you can probably find a factory grill for a decent price on the internet. What I am looking for is a real metal grille....would be nice.

EyeGuy
02-22-10, 11:16 PM
Hello all. I am glad I found this thread and this forum. I recently bought a previously owned 09 v and the lower grille was slightly damaged. When I got a quote from the dealer on the replacement, I decided to look at some other options!

I too was disappointed in the plastic front grille anyway.

I currently have a custom mesh grille being fabricated with RaceMesh Grilles a company that does custom mesh grilles. They have many finish and style options to customize with. I have worked with them before and am sure they will give us a high quality option for those of us wanting to get rid of the plastic grilles. I will be sure to keep you up to date on the progress and of course get some pics up ASAP.

CSX
02-23-10, 02:23 AM
Hereford eh? Been there to visit M&R several times, when I used to live in Douglas...was the only junk yard in a 100 mile radius. :\

Chris
Tucson, AZ

GMX322V S/C
02-23-10, 02:43 AM
Hello all. I am glad I found this thread and this forum. I recently bought a previously owned 09 v and the lower grille was slightly damaged. When I got a quote from the dealer on the replacement, I decided to look at some other options!

I too was disappointed in the plastic front grille anyway.

I currently have a custom mesh grille being fabricated with RaceMesh Grilles a company that does custom mesh grilles. They have many finish and style options to customize with. I have worked with them before and am sure they will give us a high quality option for those of us wanting to get rid of the plastic grilles. I will be sure to keep you up to date on the progress and of course get some pics up ASAP.Welcome--and thanks for sharing. Their product and selection of finishes look great! My only concern might be with the "pitch" or fineness of the mesh in the pictures that I saw. It appears to be much finer than the stock grille and these things need gobs of air... Looking forward to your updates...

http://www.racemeshgrilles.com/

cbloveday
02-23-10, 06:39 AM
Welcome--and thanks for sharing. Their product and selection of finishes look great! My only concern might be with the "pitch" or fineness of the mesh in the pictures that I saw. It appears to be much finer than the stock grille and these things need gobs of air... Looking forward to your updates...

http://www.racemeshgrilles.com/

The GOTHIC looks "pitchin". It doesn't appear to be too air flow restrictive.
I would also be interested in knowing the weight difference between stock and the wire mesh you have being fabricated!
I already got a heat exchanger up there.

demorgan59
02-23-10, 09:04 AM
WEIGHT! The grille openings are huge on the V. Hanging additional mass all the way out front is just stupid. Now a heat exchanger I can see because you get an actual performance benefit from it. It might help lower the front end a bit though without changing springs.

cts-v2009
02-23-10, 09:58 AM
D3 do you have carbon fiber for cts-v |?

JFJr
02-23-10, 11:09 AM
WEIGHT! The grille openings are huge on the V. Hanging additional mass all the way out front is just stupid. Now a heat exchanger I can see because you get an actual performance benefit from it. It might help lower the front end a bit though without changing springs.Good point. Why else would GM choose an aluminum hood and plastic grille, and move the battery to the trunk? To save weight in the front of the car and adjust the front-to-rear weight distribution. Also, attention may have beed paid by GM engineers to the mesh design in order to maximize air flow. So increasing the weight and design of the grille might adversely affect handling and engine/brake cooling.

M-1028
02-23-10, 11:18 AM
WEIGHT! The grille openings are huge on the V. Hanging additional mass all the way out front is just stupid. Now a heat exchanger I can see because you get an actual performance benefit from it. It might help lower the front end a bit though without changing springs.

I bet it wieghs less than you think, I had a 5'x10' roll of stainless wire mesh (looked very similar to what they use) and the whole roll weighed under 20 pounds.

thebigjimsho
02-23-10, 01:34 PM
Also, attention may have beed paid by GM engineers to the mesh design in order to maximize air flow.
That's what I've heard also...

RapidRob
02-23-10, 06:56 PM
Good point. Why else would GM choose an aluminum hood and plastic grille, and move the battery to the trunk? To save weight in the front of the car and adjust the front-to-rear weight distribution. Also, attention may have beed paid by GM engineers to the mesh design in order to maximize air flow. So increasing the weight and design of the grille might adversely affect handling and engine/brake cooling.

The original description of the 2009 CTS-V described the grill as being stainless steel. And of course, when the V2's started to be delivered, people quickly discovered that the the grill was plastic instead. Could have been a cost-saving decision, or, indeed a weight-saving decision on GM's part, or maybe both. It would be nice to know the official reason for changing it to plastic though ... ?

Rob

EyeGuy
02-23-10, 08:38 PM
Hello all. You bring up some good points.

I am doing the gothic mesh in a black powder-coat to get the look I like. It will retain the chrome surround trim and all stock mounting hardware. It should be a simple swap. I do not suspect it will restrict airflow and may even improve it but I am no expert on this.

I will be sure to weigh my stock against the new inserts but expect the difference to be minimal.

Stay tuned.

thebigjimsho
02-24-10, 06:28 PM
The original description of the 2009 CTS-V described the grill as being stainless steel. And of course, when the V2's started to be delivered, people quickly discovered that the the grill was plastic instead. Could have been a cost-saving decision, or, indeed a weight-saving decision on GM's part, or maybe both. It would be nice to know the official reason for changing it to plastic though ... ?

Rob
They've had a plastic grille on the V2 ever since its unveiling in Detroit over 2 years ago. Whoever gave the original description was wrong...

RapidRob
02-24-10, 10:43 PM
They've had a plastic grille on the V2 ever since its unveiling in Detroit over 2 years ago. Whoever gave the original description was wrong...

I read it in a 2009 Cadillac CTS-V brochure which included the specifications and detailed description of the car, and options, before I bought the vehicle. It definitely stated that the grill was stainless, so obviously, after the brochure was published, someone made the decision to go with a plastic grill instead, for production ... eh? Still would be nice to know why .. ?

Rob

thebigjimsho
02-24-10, 10:47 PM
I read it in a 2009 Cadillac CTS-V brochure which included the specifications and detailed description of the car, and options, before I bought the vehicle. It definitely stated that the grill was stainless, so obviously, after the brochure was published, someone made the decision to go with a plastic grill instead, for production ... eh? Still would be nice to know why .. ?

Rob
Or maybe whoever wrote the brochure was mistaken. All I know is that 11 months before these cars were sold to the public, it had a plastic grille.

DiamondWhtV
02-25-10, 08:59 AM
Being that I work for a truck manufacturer, it doesn't surprise me that the brochure would be incorrect. Those publications are drafted from design drawings often which are still in concept. Too many variables, parts procurement, fit and finish can always change the final product from the initial design publications that are distributed. Ever looked through your owners manual and found errors?

EyeGuy
03-07-10, 09:51 PM
Hi all. Just a teaser from Michael at RaceMesh. They have completed the build of my custom grille and it is in the mail headed to me. I hope to have some installed pics in the near future. They were able to keep all factory mounting points and chrome trim. Their customer service and communication has been second to none. I will give a more in-depth review after I get them in my hands. I will also report the weight difference from stock. Talk you all soon.

GMX322V S/C
03-07-10, 11:48 PM
^^^
Looking good! The mesh isn't as fine as I thought it would be, based on other pieces they show on their website. Should look really nice installed--way to pioneer EyeGuy!

OCESCALADE
03-08-10, 02:36 AM
I like both grills with that type of mesh. Does the crest on the one seem too big? I would really need to see it person as i would love the one with the crest. Hey Mas!

commander112
03-08-10, 06:35 AM
this might need to be done on my car. have they set pricing for this yet?

thebigjimsho
03-08-10, 09:41 AM
Hi all. Just a teaser from Michael at RaceMesh. They have completed the build of my custom grille and it is in the mail headed to me. I hope to have some installed pics in the near future. They were able to keep all factory mounting points and chrome trim. Their customer service and communication has been second to none. I will give a more in-depth review after I get them in my hands. I will also report the weight difference from stock. Talk you all soon.
Is your V black raven? If so, can't wait to see installed pics...

dg144
03-08-10, 03:15 PM
Thanks,

OZ ultraleggera 19x9, love um for winter for now
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt308/dg144/_DSC3607.jpg
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt308/dg144/_DSC3609.jpg

vjjack04
03-08-10, 09:16 PM
Hereford eh? Been there to visit M&R several times, when I used to live in Douglas...was the only junk yard in a 100 mile radius. :

Chris
Tucson, AZ

I live about a mile or so away from M&R - Miller Canyon.

vjjack04
03-08-10, 09:24 PM

This looks good. I am interested in seeing it on the car. I would also like to see one in the type of stainless used on the first generation cts-v. Keep us posted. By the way, to those concerned about weight, this difference has got to be less than 10 lbs so I wouldn't get too excited. The plastic is a cost savings effort by GM to mold the think all in one piece. It's lame in my opinion.

EyeGuy
03-08-10, 10:22 PM
I like both grills with that type of mesh. Does the crest on the one seem too big? I would really need to see it person as i would love the one with the crest. Hey Mas!

That is the stock crest in the factory upper grille. It must be the angle of the pic that makes it look big!

this might need to be done on my car. have they set pricing for this yet?

Not sure on pricing yet but I am sure Michael at Racemesh could get you fixed up.

Is your V black raven? If so, can't wait to see installed pics...

Yes indeed. I just had the grey plastic front air splitter and fog light bezels painted flat black. Should look killer with the new grille!

This looks good. I am interested in seeing it on the car. I would also like to see one in the type of stainless used on the first generation cts-v. Keep us posted. By the way, to those concerned about weight, this difference has got to be less than 10 lbs so I wouldn't get too excited. The plastic is a cost savings effort by GM to mold the think all in one piece. It's lame in my opinion.

I agree, weight should have nil effect. The only reason I did that black powder coat is my car is black. That is their "gothic" mesh I had in my grille. That was at their suggestion for the size and look of our cars. It looks like it was a good suggestion to me. They have a black chrome look as well as stainless that I think would look killer too.

Here is a quick pic of the grilles before powder coating just for comparison and a different look.

Looking forward to getting them in my hands and installing!

vjjack04
03-09-10, 09:54 PM
That is the stock crest in the factory upper grille. It must be the angle of the pic that makes it look big!

Not sure on pricing yet but I am sure Michael at Racemesh could get you fixed up.

Yes indeed. I just had the grey plastic front air splitter and fog light bezels painted flat black. Should look killer with the new grille!

I agree, weight should have nil effect. The only reason I did that black powder coat is my car is black. That is their "gothic" mesh I had in my grille. That was at their suggestion for the size and look of our cars. It looks like it was a good suggestion to me. They have a black chrome look as well as stainless that I think would look killer too.

Here is a quick pic of the grilles before powder coating just for comparison and a different look.

Looking forward to getting them in my hands and installing!

Yes - also show a step by step on the install. I know it is a simple thing to do but still would like to see where the clips and screws are. I am very interested in the quality (your opinion). I needs to look like factory (or better). Thanks.

EyeGuy
03-09-10, 10:24 PM
Yes - also show a step by step on the install. I know it is a simple thing to do but still would like to see where the clips and screws are. I am very interested in the quality (your opinion). I needs to look like factory (or better). Thanks.

Just got the package today and I must say that I am very impressed with the grilles! They feel solid and look factory (better in my opinion). I am very excited to see them installed.

I am having my tail lights smoked this week and I think I am going to have my guy install the grilles at the same time they have the car for that so I won't be able to give a ton of install info. That is usually the type of job I would like to do in the garage one weekend but I don't think I will be able to wait!

I hope pics to come soon.

Jorday
03-10-10, 04:55 PM
awesome man make sure to post some pics for us when you get them installed. :)

SSideways
03-10-10, 06:07 PM
:thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
03-10-10, 09:54 PM
OZ ultraleggera 19x9, love um for winter for now
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt308/dg144/_DSC3607.jpg
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt308/dg144/_DSC3609.jpg
Did you have to have them custom made or holes bored? Or did you just buy them and mount them?

vjjack04
03-11-10, 10:09 PM
They use a factory grille and cut the plastic orginal center out and attach the wire mesh in a fashion so as to not see the fasteners and such. They use the outer part of the factory grille so the mounting is the same as factory. If you go to their website you can see some more info. To install the grille though, you will have to remove the nose fascia but that is simple enough. I have removed the fascia (nose) cover from my C5, and other cars. It is not complicated.

EyeGuy
03-14-10, 09:21 PM
Hey All,

Just wanted to let you know I finally got my new grille installed! I think it looks great and is better than I had hoped for. I started a new thread so all could see. Check it out.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/194760-new-custom-grille-installed-pics-inside.html