: Quick Question, Stereo Install

Foster420
01-02-10, 05:48 PM
Hey guys im in the process of switching out my head unit in my 83 fleetwood brougham. How do I know if my factory stereo has a factory amplifier? I bought the wiring harness for both options so I just need to know which one I need to use. It's the d'elegance if that makes a difference.

Thanks

csbuckn
01-02-10, 07:21 PM
The wires only plug in one way so once you get it out you should see which one it is. If you have the amp, I believe its under the dash.

Angry Matt
01-02-10, 07:56 PM
I don't think they offered an amp package in '83. I've never seen one and I've worked on a ton of the early '80's cars.

Foster420
01-02-10, 09:23 PM
Thanks guys, the plugs are identical for both kits so I didn't know. Guess I'll use the non-amp kit and see how it goes!

Angry Matt
01-06-10, 05:20 PM
Just to correct myself and if anyone else enjoys useless knowledge like me, '83 was the first year "symphony sound" was offered which included 4 amps, but it was only available in the seville and eldorado.

MudAnt
01-09-10, 12:36 PM
Just to correct myself and if anyone else enjoys useless knowledge like me, '83 was the first year "symphony sound" was offered which included 4 amps, but it was only available in the seville and eldorado.

Aah, that must be why the '83 radio I put in my '86 doesn't sound as good as my original one..