: Front suspension

HUF
01-02-10, 12:52 AM
I have heard a couple of times a loud noise when I was making sharp turns at parking lot speeds (wheels turned all the way). The noise comes from the front of the car and sounds as if something snaps off. I cannot really explain the nature of the noise better. This is my first RWD, so I am not familiar with its front suspension. Do you gents think there is something to be concerned with? Thank you in advance.

9ine3reefleet
01-04-10, 02:35 AM
I have heard a couple of times a loud noise when I was making sharp turns at parking lot speeds (wheels turned all the way). The noise comes from the front of the car and sounds as if something snaps off. I cannot really explain the nature of the noise better. This is my first RWD, so I am not familiar with its front suspension. Do you gents think there is something to be concerned with? Thank you in advance.

My 93 does the exact same thing. Its been doing it since I got her in August. My suspension seems fine but have always wondered about it. I am eagerly waiting on a response for this 1.:coffee:

HUF
01-04-10, 02:37 AM
My 93 does the exact same thing. Its been doing it since I got her in August. My suspension seems fine but have always wondered about it. I am eagerly waiting on a response for this 1.:coffee:
Good. Now two of us! :)

sven914
01-04-10, 03:26 AM
Make that three.

My 89 does something similar, except it is more of loud thumping sound and it only happens when making a sharp left turn over uneven terrain.

The suspension is perfect, but someone suggested it might be the exhaust grounding out on the frame.

HUF
01-04-10, 03:38 AM
Make that three.

My 89 does something similar, except it is more of loud thumping sound and it only happens when making a sharp left turn over uneven terrain.

The suspension is perfect, but someone suggested it might be the exhaust grounding out on the frame.

I would call the noise my car makes POPPING. Unfortunately, I cannot say if the noise happened while making a left or right turn or the both (have not paid attention).

mjs182004
01-04-10, 04:13 PM
I was hearing the same noise on my 91, i finally took a look at it on day last year while i was doing an oil change and notice my drivers side sway bar end link had snapped off. i replaced both sides and now the noise is gone. hope this helps.

This is what i saw

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/mjs182004/1991%20Cadillac%20Brougham/IMAGE_118.jpg

This is what it's suppose to look like

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/mjs182004/1991%20Cadillac%20Brougham/IMAGE_137.jpg

HUF
01-04-10, 05:32 PM
MJS182004,

Thank you for the reply and great pictures. Will definitely have a look when it is a little bit warmer up here. The part is inexpensive and seems to be easy to install.
I have had difficulty to park the car parallel to marking in parking lots from the day I bought it. I have attributed it to the lack of driving skills, but I am not THAT bad! lol Never had a problem parking my 91 Seville. Do you think this popping noise has something to do with loose and unstable steering?

jayoldschool
01-04-10, 07:13 PM
Always good to check the sway end links, but that is not the cause of the pop/clunk noise. It is caused by the spindle binding and releasing on the steering stop that is on the lower A arm. There is actually a TSB on this. The GM solution is to smear the steering stop and the spindle contact area with grease. My solution is to not crank the wheel all the way over.

sven914
01-04-10, 07:26 PM
^ Thanks, I'll check into that. But I don't about Canadian roads, but everything down here is so tight and congested that you have to do a lock to lock turn just to get out of you driveway or onto a main road... Unless of course you like playing chicken.

SDCaddyLacky
01-04-10, 11:16 PM
Definitely check the sway bar end links, or it's bushings, also check the steering linkages. Have someone sit in the car and turn the wheel side to side, look under the front suspension and see if you hear where the noise is coming from, this will help determine what's wrong.

I am pretty surprised by how tough and long lasting the suspesions on 93-96
FWB are. My 94 FWB Bro has 151,000 on it, and the only front end repair job I have found out about, was the shocks, everything else looks original and the car rides like a magic carpet. For the guys that live in the rust belt states, I feel extremely sorry for you, but if you don't and your car is rust free, I bet these cars can go many more miles without having to replace much of the front end.

Unlike early to mid 90's Town Cars, everything is trashed up front at 80K, your gonna need new shocks, upper and lower control arm bushings, sway bar end links, ball joints ( Ford Problem, can cause the wheel to fall off if not replaced!), idle arm, pitman arm, front coil springs, and so on. I have replaced all those parts I just mentioned including rear suspension parts. Everything creaks and makes noise, it sucks.

I feel that Ford suspensions on panther platform vehicles don't last very long compared to similar full-size GM B-body and D-body platform cars. GM never really has had issues with it's suspension on it's big cars, but older Fords do.I think it's because the Fleetwoods, Impala's, and Caprice's are heavier than Ford panthers= Town Cars, Grand Marquis, Crown Vics by a good 400-500lbs, which means more metal, and steel parts that are stronger and less prone to wear.

jey
01-04-10, 11:22 PM
Always good to check the sway end links, but that is not the cause of the pop/clunk noise. It is caused by the spindle binding and releasing on the steering stop that is on the lower A arm. There is actually a TSB on this. The GM solution is to smear the steering stop and the spindle contact area with grease. My solution is to not crank the wheel all the way over.

:lol: these are big cars already, and to add on top of that not cranking the wheel all the way over is just impossible for getting in/out of my driveway!

These things are the longest cars ever built, yes longer than a Suburban.

That said, the turning radius is WAY better than a Suburban or SUV because the wheelbase is much shorter. Eventually we all get used to parallel parking it :)

Oh yeah mine pops too at full lock. I read about that TSB but haven't bothered to try greasing things up yet.

HUF
01-04-10, 11:32 PM
Thanks, Jay. I have got the same advise from another owner of 1993 FWB. He says the greasing up at every oil change eliminates the noise.

jayoldschool
01-04-10, 11:37 PM
Here is a pic of a control arm (don't pay attention to the crazy lowrider welding). See that piece of sheetmetal that is riveted to the arm by the ball joint? That is the steering stop. That is what the spindle contacts when you crank the wheel over all the way. You grease that surface (the end of the part that sticks out) and the area on the spindle that hits it. You can also use a grinder and take the stop down a little (some GM cars got shorter stops), or you can grind off the rivets/drill them out and remove the stop completely. Of course, I make no guarantees on what your tire will now rub on (sway bar, but no promises).

http://www.eternalrollerz.com/TechArticles/Vehicle%20Builds/Circus-19.JPG

HUF
01-04-10, 11:40 PM
Thanks! A picture is worth 1000 words! So, the stop is next to the end link on the lower control arm.

jayoldschool
01-04-10, 11:57 PM
Yes, it is really obvious when you get under there and look at everything. You will see a shiny spot on the spindle where the stop contacts it.

9ine3reefleet
01-06-10, 09:23 PM
You guys really helped with all the pics and info. Mine pops when I make those tight turns as well and it "scares" me sometimes. I work at an high school school and I am going to pass this info along to the autoshop teacher while he replaces my heater valve and change my oil. I wish I knew about this site when I had my 86 FWB, may she rest in peace.

jayoldschool
01-07-10, 12:44 AM
i am going to pass this info along to the autoshop teacher while he watches me replace my heater valve and change my oil

ftfy :d

9ine3reefleet
01-07-10, 09:03 AM
I know, that is what I want to do and would be excellent. But I teach, hell, i am writing now while I should be getting my warm-up on the board. I dont know if will be able to be there since all work gets done during school hours.