: Still leaking oil

Leon3
12-31-09, 02:42 AM
I did replace my valve covers as well as the breather cleaning. Still seeping or leaking oil at the seem where the head connects to the block, more so on the drivers side, Or where the head gasket would be. no oil incoolant or coolant in oil. Any ideas please.

thanks in advance

TitanCTS
12-31-09, 07:25 PM
Oil cooler lines possibly leaking under the intake manifold? Either that or head gaskets.

Leon3
12-31-09, 09:07 PM
Would a bad head gasket create an oil leak at the seem and or could the oil cooler leak in that area as well ? And how ?

As always thaks in advance

Leon3
01-01-10, 03:33 AM
The oil is coming from where the seem is on the head and cam body. not the head gasket . Sorry i am a do it your selfer.

Could a bad cam seal leak and run down that seam ? thats what i would potentially try next and what all would a procedure like that require

thanks in advance

TitanCTS
01-01-10, 03:50 PM
Oil as with any liquid will follow the path of least resistance and can get into any small area. You said you replaced the valve covers, Did that mean the valve cover gaskets or valve covers themselves and gaskets.? Any pictures would help if you can get some.

Leon3
01-01-10, 04:27 PM
replaced the valve cover gaskets. Definitely not leaking from those gaskets. Not able to get pics up. I do believe (I think) since the engine tilts somewhat from the front to the rear it seems to be coming from the front near where those cam seals would be and running along the seam I mentioned earlier. what all is involved in replacing those cam seals.

thanks in advance

caddi-crazy
01-02-10, 01:40 PM
I had the same thing happen , make sure that you are getting the gaskets sealed properly in the covers use a little RVT to hold gasket in place while you are putting the covers down on the head , feel around the base of the cover after you have it down just as a little assurance.
Also when your done degrease the sides of the motor espeaily on the drivers side there is a heat sheid between power steering pump and exhaust manifold that holds oil

Leon3
01-06-10, 05:36 AM
I do think you are right, rechecked the gaskets, no smoke maybe residue. Too cold to wash engine. thanks for all replies. First day above freezing it will get a thorough washing.

Thanks to all

TitanCTS
01-06-10, 09:10 AM
Don't worry your not the first one to replace gaskets and still have oil leaking. I replaced my valve cover gaskets in Jan. 07 and they've been seeping for a while now. Most likely the valve covers are warped slightly and it's not sealing well. I had a snap on dealer who used to work for cadillac tell me that they changed valve covers on these things all the time because they warp. Luckily the valve covers from GM are cheap.