: car won't start

matia
12-30-09, 09:30 PM
Ok, so I just picked up my car on Monday. Brand new 2009 V. Purchased it from out of state and picked it up and drove it back. Apparently they had to replace the battery because it was a car they had on the lot for a while (built in March). It had 150 miles on it when I picked it up. All has been great except for a clutch pedal problem that I mentioned on another thread. Spent all night yesterday going through all the features and showing off the car to my boys...they think its so cool.

Today as I was leaving to go to work I couldn't even get the door open. Car seemed dead. Had to use the little key on the remote to open the door. Then nothing. Car cannot start. No lights come on. Is it possible that the battery is dead? Is there anything else that can be going on? I did notice a message on the display saying something about going into battery saver mode or something yesterday. I don't see how the battery could be drained.

ANY advice and suggestions would be great at this point as I have to face my wife tonight and I am not looking forward to what she has to say when she hears about this.

ecorpuz12
12-30-09, 10:22 PM
same thing happened to me when i futzed around inside the garage with the stereo on for about 30 mins personalizing the settings and going through all the features the night i got her home. the battery drained very quickly. tried to head to the local grocery store later that night and it wouldn't start and jumping it didn't work either. stuck a battery charger to it for about 3 hrs and all was good. the battery needs at least 12 volts in it to start the car or something like that. it's in the owner's manual.

i hear you about the wife...we were going to go for a quick ride and then it wouldn't start. i had to hear the "you paid 70k for a car and it won't even start! what kind of crappy blah blah blah blah is this?!?" good luck

matia
12-30-09, 10:45 PM
So if I sit in a parking lot and put on a DVD for my kids to watch for half an hour or so there is a good chance it won't start again?

Thanks for the advice though. Will try the battery charger.

Short-Throw
12-30-09, 11:07 PM
Are you sure the battery was replaced? Some dealers will simply quick charge the battery and although it may be enough to get the car started, it isn't the full 24 hour slow charge a battery may need.

matia
12-30-09, 11:18 PM
Not sure but they gave me a copy of the service report stating the battery was changed under warranty. How can I check if it was actually changed?

ecorpuz12
12-30-09, 11:27 PM
i've sat in it for more than 30 mins watching a movie while i waited for my wife to get her hair done with no problems since that first night. my car was trucked over on a flat bed from a dealer 150 miles away so i'm sure the battery wasn't fully charged when i took possession...i drove it off my dealer's lot almost as soon as it came off the truck because i had to hurry and pick up my daughter from daycare so i didn't get the "full service" delivery treatment until two wks later (fill up the tank, full wash and detail, top to bottom inspection, etc).

09V
12-31-09, 12:20 AM
I may be wrong but my wife moved my car for me and didnt completely turn the ignition to the off position and it killed my car in about 3 hours- had to jump it to get it started to get it into my garage. Not having to retrieve a key from the ignition she left it in the accessories position. Unlikely, but an option. Heck to think of it she nearly did it a second time and the only way I knew was I saw my phone start flashing blue when it synched with my bluetooth(the only one I regularly use) fortunately I caught that one or she would have had me by the honches and humped me into submission.

matia
12-31-09, 03:09 AM
well, 2 hours on a charger and everything looks like it is back to normal. Strange, I have never had a battery drain so quickly which makes me wonder if it was possible that it was left in the accessory positi on overnight. Probably will never know.

cbloveday
12-31-09, 08:13 AM
excellent! Glad all is ok.

Gary Wells
12-31-09, 10:05 AM
Matia:
Glad that all's well, but it that should happen again, I think that if it were me, I would look get back with the selling dealer and find out where the 150 miles came from, why the clutch pedal is not working properly, and more about the battery replacement under warranty. My '09 CTS-V is a March build also, and I had to have the supercharger isolator replaced at 1230 miles.

matia
12-31-09, 10:12 AM
How many miles should a new car typically have...I have been told 150 is not unusual.

George.

marktanner
12-31-09, 10:14 AM
The car has a battery saver mode that turns off the power after about 20 minutes no matter what while in accessory mode. This is to prevent such problems. That's why they have to have the car idle while updating the computer, etc. If the car didn't do this bring it back to the dealer.

GM-4-LIFE
12-31-09, 12:47 PM
How many miles should a new car typically have...I have been told 150 is not unusual.

George.

I did the same thing you did. I purchased my V from an out of state dealer sight unseen and had it transported to me. My car had exactly 7 miles on the odometer, so 150 miles is kind of high for a car that was sitting for that long. The selling dealer must have let everyone test drive the car, but most dealers won't let anyone test drive specialty vehicles like the V, unless they are serious potential buyers.

Get the car to a local dealer and have them check the vehicle's charging system. They will most likely have to replace the battery and check the alternator to make sure it is charging the battery sufficiently. If the battery was replaced by the selling dealer, it sounds like they replaced it with a defective one or the charging system isn't doing it's job.

SG

Gary Wells
12-31-09, 12:58 PM

George.

Mine came from Rennick Cadillac, Fullerton, CA, and had either 3 or 5 miles on it and was sitting on their showroom floor when I purchased it in mid-July.

As CTS-V-TWIN advised, I would find a good highly recommended dealer in your area to check it out & hopefully fix the clutch at the same time.