: Bone Stock Track times and a question

KatMcRat
12-30-09, 07:02 PM
We took our CTS-V to Sacramento on Saturday on our way to San Francisco. Best pass was 12.36 @ 117. Car is still bone stock. We had to heat the tires to get any kind of traction. It's an auto running in sport mode with traction control off. The last pass it was bouncing off the limiter every time it shifted. I'm guessing the trans was just hot? Can anyone confirm that.

Also the car was hot when we arrived as it was a 440 mile drive with only about 1/2 hour cool down when we arrived if that. So after the last pass of bouncing off the limiter we called it a day since we still had a 100 mile drive to San Francisco then 440 more home.

9VhK_20zhIM

Gary Wells
12-30-09, 07:15 PM
Welcome back, Kat & Pat. Long time, no hear.

KatMcRat
12-30-09, 07:26 PM
Welcome back, Kat & Pat. Long time, no hear.

Thanks. I have been around, just not much to say since the car is still stock even after almost 7 months :eek:

Bribed the kids with an extra day in SF if we could stop at the track first for my Christmas present :bouncy:

I need seat time my best pass was a 12.7 @ 117... Something about my lead foot :histeric: I was braking the tires loose in 1st, 2nd and 3rd :histeric:

Gary Wells
12-30-09, 07:45 PM
I thought that you were the drag racer between you and Pat. I take it her ran the 12.37? I would run mine but I can't afford for anybody to see a 16 sec pass in a 12 sec car. Mine's still stock so far too, about 1300 miles on it now. I am hooked on modding mine. Are you guys running a tune yet?

McRat
12-30-09, 07:59 PM
I thought that you were the drag racer between you and Pat. I take it her ran the 12.37? I would run mine but I can't afford for anybody to see a 16 sec pass in a 12 sec car. Mine's still stock so far too, about 1300 miles on it now. I am hooked on modding mine. Are you guys running a tune yet?

Zero mods yet. Needed baselines.

The best bang for the buck for ET's is going to be tires. It's severely traction-impaired. Tires alone will probably push it into the 11's based on MPH. Even if you can get it rolling, when the power hits in second and third, you're going to have trouble. Car goes straight as an arrow and it's easy to run.

We have been racing diesel pickups lately. Last August at Bonneville, I hit 197.033 mph in a 3/4 ton truck. In the same truck, Kat ran 10.59 @ 129 at Cal Speedway.

Gary Wells
12-30-09, 08:58 PM
Zero mods yet. Needed baselines.

The best bang for the buck for ET's is going to be tires. It's severely traction-impaired. Tires alone will probably push it into the 11's based on MPH. Even if you can get it rolling, when the power hits in second and third, you're going to have trouble. Car goes straight as an arrow and it's easy to run.

We have been racing diesel pickups lately. Last August at Bonneville, I hit 197.033 mph in a 3/4 ton truck. In the same truck, Kat ran 10.59 @ 129 at Cal Speedway.
Congratulations to both of you. Good luck on the tires. I didn't think that there were any tires for these cars. Did you guys re-dyno yet after the first dyno runs?

UBNZO6D
12-30-09, 10:27 PM
Kat & Pat, I can't believe you're into V's now...I still have my two Z's, how about you? Do you still have the blue meanie? I'm about to get a V myself...Been trolling here fore a while, and trying to pull the trigger...Where did you get yours?

Greg

KatMcRat
12-30-09, 10:55 PM
Kat & Pat, I can't believe you're into V's now...I still have my two Z's, how about you? Do you still have the blue meanie? I'm about to get a V myself...Been trolling here fore a while, and trying to pull the trigger...Where did you get yours?

Greg

Hi Greg, how are you doing?

Yes, we still have the Blue Meanie. We will never sell him. But, he is parked most of the time since we need 4 seats. Quit racing him a couple of years ago when there was something wrong with VHT compound at LACR and too many cars where going into the wall :( So have mainly been drag racing our Duramax's.

We actually just both got licensed to run between 7.49 to 9.99. So next year, I hope to put Casper our white truck into the 9's :yup:

We bought our V at Paradise in Temecula in June for my birthday :D

KatMcRat
12-30-09, 10:57 PM
Congratulations to both of you. Good luck on the tires. I didn't think that there were any tires for these cars. Did you guys re-dyno yet after the first dyno runs?

No, we haven't re-dyno but with the mph. My best guess is the dyno was off or since it was so hot the ecm was pulling power.

gnxs
12-31-09, 10:40 AM
I've never had my trans bumping up against the limiter at the track when letting the car do it's own shifting. I usually cool my car down between rounds, but I have occasionally made a hot lap and the trans still shifts fine.

As far as your traction issue, it sounds more like a track prep issue to me. I'm pullied/tuned I've never had any problems in 2nd and 3rd gears like you described. Others that race out this way (Chicagoland) with CTS-V's don't seem to have traction problems that bad either.

For me (and others) the stock tires are able to produce 1.7 60 fts and hold grip on mid 11-second passes with an auto-equipped CTS-V on a well prepped track.