: shift lights (tracer in GM speak) helpful?

clubracer6
12-30-09, 04:53 PM
Just curious if people have found the blinking tracer lights helpful at avoiding bumping the rev limiter when shifting? When I rented a CTS 3.6 I had to adjust the steering wheel to my comfort which had the top of the rim blocking the top of the guages. I read about having the MPH shown in the DIC, but was wondering if those lights help too...

Can't wait to get one...

Nice forum btw, good information, for most part people are nice to one another here.

ecorpuz12
12-30-09, 05:13 PM
i find it useful...don't have to take your eyes off the road because you can see the flashing in your peripheral vision...it's pretty obvious when it's flashing

Silver -V-
12-30-09, 05:23 PM
I don't really notice the lights on the street. I do notice them, and find them useful on the track. With a quiet motor and exhaust plus windows down it is hard to pay attention to the motor sounds. I like having the lights flash in my peripheral vision. I am used to a tach light mounted high, but these work quite well for a street car.

GMX322V S/C
12-30-09, 05:53 PM
I wish the tach and speedo positions were reversed...

clubracer6
12-30-09, 06:26 PM
Good to know - that is what I had figured and hoped would be the case.

And yes, I agree, it would have been perfect if the tach was in the center.

asabase
12-31-09, 01:12 AM
Do the speedo tracers blink too? I haven't used manual mode much.

09V
12-31-09, 02:02 AM
I find them to be very subtle, but better than nothing. My wheel blocks the top of my guages so I have to play it by ear more than anything--good thing I have an auto being that the car is so quiet.

commander112
12-31-09, 08:46 AM
I find the tracers useful although I must confess that I have hit the rev limiter way more than I would like to own up to. Once you hit the limiter and notice the tracers flashing you eye becomes more in tune to seeing the flashing tracer for the next shift.

Gotham CTS-V
12-31-09, 09:08 AM
In a manual I am sure it is helpful. Coming from a previous C6 Z06 owner and E60 M5 SMG owner, I was used to the instant shifting you get from a manual so those lights are helpful. With an automatic, if you wait for the lights to shift chances are you will hit the rev limiter anyway. I like the lights though and you can definitely notice them. Comes in handy when racing, I find.

garfin
12-31-09, 11:02 AM
I don't really notice the lights on the street. I do notice them, and find them useful on the track. With a quiet motor and exhaust plus windows down it is hard to pay attention to the motor sounds. I like having the lights flash in my peripheral vision. I am used to a tach light mounted high, but these work quite well for a street car.

Exactly! The 1st time I drove a manual V, I bounced off the rev limiter at the top of 2nd gear, since the car was so quiet and I had no clue how fast I was going! I was also unaware of the flashing "tracers", and so I wasn't really looking for them...
This is a whole different ball game than what I'm used to. My '98 Camaro SS that I track a couple of times a year on Mosport's Grand Prix track has a shift light installed in the car's centre dash vent.
http://www.installuniversity.com/install_university/installu_graphics/sophomore_year/shift_light/dash_trim_removal.jpg

http://www.installuniversity.com/install_university/installu_graphics/sophomore_year/shift_light/shift_light_on.jpg

I also find this invaluable on the track. Although the flashing tracers are not as obvious as the Camaro's shift light, I am very happy that feature is on the car and I'm definitely looking forward to using it when my V arrives!

Best regards,

Elie

dqw1
12-31-09, 03:15 PM
Do the speedo tracers blink too? I haven't used manual mode much.
They also blink with the auto trans. What it's telling you is that your way over the speed limit driving in the city!

4gear70
12-31-09, 04:31 PM
I find the blinking tach tracer is noticable, however the lights start flashing a little too soon (ie, too low rpm) for my liking.. at least with the manual anyway. That's ok for the street but at the track, I have to keep an eye on the needle to shift just at the limiter. It takes some practice to shift by ear with this car (in stock form) as it really sounds and feels like it could go a few hundred more rpm before needing to shift. I kind of wish they had an option to set the flashing RPM in the DIC. IIRC, the manual mentions being able to turn on/off the tracer lights through the DIC menu but that option seems to have been removed... sort of like the side tilt reverse mirror.