: Is sotring my car for the winter under a cover a wise idea, or no?

TWasArroundHere
12-29-09, 08:34 PM
So I just moved back up to PA in June, and I brought my 84 Coupe DeVille with me. I live in an apartment, and for the winter, I parked her in the corner of the lot, took the battery out, and covered it. Now a few people have told me that putting a car under a cover actually makes the condition of the car worse, rather then preserving it. My car is in very good shape for its age, with only a few small rust spots that I'm fixing in the springtime anyway. But, my question is, will it be ok under the cover this season, or should I do something else with it?
Next year, I hope to have a storage garage for it.

creeker
12-29-09, 09:29 PM
So I just moved back up to PA in June, and I brought my 84 Coupe DeVille with me. I live in an apartment, and for the winter, I parked her in the corner of the lot, took the battery out, and covered it. Now a few people have told me that putting a car under a cover actually makes the condition of the car worse, rather then preserving it. My car is in very good shape for its age, with only a few small rust spots that I'm fixing in the springtime anyway. But, my question is, will it be ok under the cover this season, or should I do something else with it?
Next year, I hope to have a storage garage for it.

I would think if you used a covering (plastic tarp) that it could cause condensation in interior of car, especially if there are temperature
variations.

deVille33
12-29-09, 09:30 PM
Don't truthfully know the answer. I'm keeping one of my coupes under a cover that is very breatheable to help reduce exposure to the weather. When snow accumulates on it, the snow melts during the daytime, then freezes again at night, or when the weather cools down again. There are other covers with a plastic underlayer which are supposed to help protect against result, but they may not be as good for your car's paint.
Difficult to answer without knowing what we are going to get for weather.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-30-09, 02:20 PM
I only use my cover if the car is being stored inside. I don't use a car cover outside in the winter for a few reasons. For one the cover can get wet and then freeze, securing the cover to the paint. The other reason is because the wind around here can get pretty nasty in the winter so it whips the cover around. Combine those two problems and you have a hard, icy cover being whipped against your paint. My recomendation is to wash it, wax it good and then just park it. Let the snow pile up on it and it will be fine.

sven914
12-30-09, 04:48 PM
Car covers are not meant to be used in wet, freezing conditions. They allow water to sit on the paint, which causes corrosion. Then they freeze to the paint and can damage it if they get pulled by the wind. Even worse, when they freeze, covers become stiff and are like sand paper against the paint.

What you should do is just let the snow build up on the paint during storms but clean it off the next day. This way there will be no sitting moisture and nothing to corrode the paint.