: Oil looks like crap, advice please

bigds01
12-29-09, 06:11 AM
I finally had a chance to go look at the 94 Seville that we are turning into a race car. Couple of quick observations:

1) There is definitely a cloud of white smoke, so I am glad we are doing the HG job

2) According to the sticker on the window the car is only 1k miles over the oil change requirement. When I look at the oil it is a very light brown and doesn't look very viscous.

Would coolant leaking in the oil cause that?
How do you flush all of the old oil out after doing the HG job?
Also, how do you set the timing when doing the HG job?

Thanks for the help

Submariner409
12-29-09, 11:43 AM
Is the oil light brown and transparent (can you see through the oil) or is it light brown like "cream and sugar" coffee ? If it looks like cream and sugar coffee you have a lot bigger problems than just head gaskets - now you're into a complete teardown and rebuild which is no picnic on a Northstar due to all the machining and close tolerances. On a simple head gasket job you cannot fully clean the block oil passages - that takes a complete teardown, tank washing, hand washing, long brushes, compressed air and tedious reassembly.

The cam timing sequence and procedures are best described in a Factory Service Manual from www.helminc.com or eBay - you'll need it, trust me.

bigds01
12-29-09, 05:02 PM
I have the GM shop manual for the car. It isn't light brown, more dark brown, What is the bigger problem you are referring to?

caddydaddy
12-29-09, 05:09 PM
a super fast oil analysis might help with your decision! http://www.blackstone-labs.com/lemon-aide.php

Submariner409
12-29-09, 06:42 PM
Oil that looks like sugar and cream coffee (or a Latte') has water and/or coolant in it. That always spells big engine troubles.

Brown or dark brown is merely an indicator of city/suburban car use (the engine and oil never heats up enough to self-clean) and is to be expected because the oil contains powerful detergents to clean up the crap left behind by combustion and condensation and keep it all in solution in the oil so it all drains away on your next oil/filter change - which, by the way, should be done immediately after shutting down from a highway run of 20 miles or more...........

stoveguyy
01-01-10, 07:35 PM
are you pulling the motor for the headgasket job?

bigds01
01-01-10, 09:33 PM
are you pulling the motor for the headgasket job?

Yup. I am waiting for Jake to tell me which is quicker in a full shop, from the top or bottom.

ponyboyt
01-04-10, 10:11 AM
we set a record on my deville a few days ago, finaly pulled in under an hour, but thats just the cradle out, not engine removed. (that would be: out from the bottom).

And no, we didnt butcher this one :) all wiring/hoses/lines in-tact. Jake has puled a LOT more engines than i have, and we have a habbit of butchering stuff heh. One day soon i want to try pulling from the top just to see the difference.

bigds01
01-04-10, 11:16 AM
we set a record on my deville a few days ago, finaly pulled in under an hour, but thats just the cradle out, not engine removed. (that would be: out from the bottom).

And no, we didnt butcher this one :) all wiring/hoses/lines in-tact. Jake has puled a LOT more engines than i have, and we have a habbit of butchering stuff heh. One day soon i want to try pulling from the top just to see the difference.

Just to make my life easy, why do I need to take the engine off the cradle when I drop it? Do I need to to do the HG stud job, water pump and crossover tube?

tateos
01-04-10, 03:09 PM
Just to make my life easy, why do I need to take the engine off the cradle when I drop it? Do I need to to do the HG stud job, water pump and crossover tube?

Nope - the cradle makes a nice engine stand. The reason to remove the engine is for a rear main seal, half case, or oil pan leak repair.

Krashed989
01-04-10, 04:16 PM

WOW!!!... And here I thought I was pretty fast with dropping the cradle in 4 hours!... Looks like I have something to work up to! :eek:

codewize
01-07-10, 02:38 PM
That's 4.9 right ?

codewize
01-08-10, 09:20 AM
For whatever reason I've become confused as to what engine is in what so.

If that car is N* powered and you think there's coolant in the oil you have very major problems. The N* by design will only mix oil and coolant under very extreme catastrophic failure. A simple HG failure won't cause that to happen like it will other cars.

Krashed989
01-08-10, 06:27 PM
My dads 99 eldo had coolant in the oil and it was only due to bad headgaskets... None of the headbolt threads were stripped either... So it is possible to have it happen, just not very likely.

codewize
01-09-10, 01:25 PM
That can only happen if the gasket has catastrophic failure. It's an extremely rare occurrence and you'll probably have 0 compression at that point.

There are very few points in the engine design that would permit that to happen so you would have to have a gasket fail at that specific point. Remember, part of the N* claim to fame is 33% fewer mating surfaces than the traditional V8

My dads 99 eldo had coolant in the oil and it was only due to bad headgaskets... None of the headbolt threads were stripped either... So it is possible to have it happen, just not very likely.