: Camaro vs STS-V

StealthMan
12-29-09, 02:32 AM
I have been looking at getting the 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS and have been on the camaro forums for the past 6 months. Someone mentioned if they should consider the CTS-V vs the Camaro..and another person suggested to look at the STS-V as they bought one and love it (and has 450+ HP) and a backseat :)

I didn't realize that Cadillac made an STS-V (I know they made a CTS-V). I have been a member here for a while as I like the CTS and the CTS-V so I started checking out the STS-V to determine if that would be a better car to get over the Camaro.

I thought that there would be a sticky on some pictures of the STS-V, but there are none?

Has anyone here purchased the STS-V over the Camaro? Just looking for feedback on if you like you STS-V and if you would buy it again over another car?

Thanks

jedhead
12-29-09, 03:55 AM
Before I bought my 2006 STS-V, I took a look at the Camaro SS with a 6 speed. Every dealer starting price was at least $5000 over sticker. Since I refuse to pay anything over sticker because you never recover the money, I didn't look at the Camaro any more. Compared to the 2009 CTS-V the STS-V emphasize the luxury part of a luxury sports sedan. I thought with the CTS-V the emphasis was on the sport part of luxury sport sedan. The STS-V is a little softer, a little nicer and a little slower. I paid a little under $30K, 34K out the door, this past summer for a 2006 CPO with 24K miles. I have drove 10K miles since then, I think the STS-V has the best mix of performance, luxury and features over other cars. Some are more luxurious, some are faster and some have more features. You just need to set the priorities. Also try the rent the car you will buy so you have an idea what the car would be like. I rented both CTS and STS with the V6 before I bought mine.

Bob

CIWS
12-29-09, 09:22 AM
The Camaro will be a bit faster because it's around 4-500lbs lighter and only rated about 30 fwhp less, but it shouldn't be a huge difference. However the STS-V with its amenities and interior will be noticeably different than the Camaro. Even the rear seats and steering wheel are heated (among other things)
If you plan to mod the car, then the Camaro would be the way to go as it has a more standard / common drive train than the STS-V with the LC3 engine. If you go looking for an STS-V try to find one from a dealership who will CPO it (Certified Pre Owned) as that will give you a 6 year / 100K warranty on the car.

nlharter
12-29-09, 11:14 AM
Glad I could lure you over from Camaro5. I was in your boat, and looking at the big picture, the STS-V kicks the Camaro in my opinion. Not to mention you will see a Camaro on every street corner in another year or two. I am sure any of your questions will be answered here.

Gusteve
12-29-09, 11:27 AM
I've been trying to decide between buying a Mustang or a BMW M5. Are there any major differences between the two cars? :stirpot:

StealthMan
12-29-09, 11:36 AM
I've been trying to decide between buying a Mustang or a BMW M5. Are there any major differences between the two cars? :stirpot:

Haha....I know it is not truly an apples to apples comparison between a Camaro and an STS-v...:histeric:...so probably hard to compare. I guess I am just looking for feedback from STS-V owners if they love their car and would recommend one.

BTW - I am 41 years old, married with 3 kids. I currently drive an 06 Lexus GS300 AWD as my DD, and I have an 08 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited as my "fun" ride. I was thinking about selling my Jeep and getting a Camaro and keeping my Lexus as my DD (it will be paid off in 2010). Now I am thinking that maybe I keep my Jeep (I do love driving it), selling my Lexus and buying an STS-V as my DD rather than getting a Camaro.

So many decisions :hmm:

Gusteve
12-29-09, 11:57 AM
Honest answer - I've been driving fast 4 doors for 25 years.

86 GLH Turbo
89 SHO
96 Impala SS
03 Marauder

At the same time, I always had a sports/fun car of some kind. The STS-V wraps everything into a single awesome package. It is just about my favorite car I've ever owned. I've had my 08 for about a year and put 10K miles on it, and I still laugh out loud whenever I get on the throttle. Interspersed with the occasional "Holy CRAP! That was Awesome!" after a nice tail-out, hook-up, and be GONE escapade.

From a financial standpoint - if you are selling one of your cars regardless of what you decide to buy, I'd say dump the Lexus and get the V. The Lexus is going to have a much relative higher resale value, and your Jeep is new enough that you take a bath if you sell it. Get an 07 or 08 V with CPO warranty, drive your Jeep for two more years, and then sell it for a nice used 2010 or 2011 Camaro (saving you probably $10k or more off buying a brand new one).

Indyblue98
12-29-09, 01:57 PM
:welcome:
If your after LOOKS maybe the Camaro is the way to go, but
I traded a WS6 2002 6speed Trans Am to buy the STS-V.
I absolutely love the STS-V performance, and it has lots of features not available on a Camaro. DVD navigation a real trunk 4 doors rear aircond and heated seats even in the back.
At 49 years old I've had literally dozens of cars over the years.
Almost always had a Trans Am , Corvette , or Camaro as a Daily Driver.
Never even had a 4 door car until both the kids were beyond the "carseat" years, at that point i started buying Cadillacs for the Wife's daily use and for trips.
We end up keeping the Caddy's for a long time because they just do so well on the dependablity , put close to 200,000 miles on each of the 3 from the past and the biggest repair has been the air ride suspension on 2of them and a couple of water pumps. I always use Premium fuel and Mobil 1 oil at 3000 miles.

Another consideration is the Insurance, in my case it is 50% higher than my Corvette Convert or the WS6 car i traded in.:bonkers:

StealthMan
12-29-09, 02:02 PM
:welcome:
If your after LOOKS maybe the Camaro is the way to go, but
I traded a WS6 2002 6speed Trans Am to buy the STS-V.
I absolutely love the STS-V performance, and it has lots of features not available on a Camaro. DVD navigation a real trunk 4 doors rear aircond and heated seats even in the back.
At 49 years old I've had literally dozens of cars over the years.
Almost always had a Trans Am , Corvette , or Camaro as a Daily Driver.
Never even had a 4 door car until both the kids were beyond the "carseat" years, at that point i started buying Cadillacs for the Wife's daily use and for trips.
We end up keeping the Caddy's for a long time because they just do so well on the dependablity , put close to 200,000 miles on each of the 3 from the past and the biggest repair has been the air ride suspension on 2of them and a couple of water pumps. I always use Premium fuel and Mobil 1 oil at 3000 miles.

Another consideration is the Insurance, in my case it is 50% higher than my Corvette Convert or the WS6 car i traded in.:bonkers:

Thanks for the feedback - are you saying that the insurance on your STS-V is higher than your Vette and WS6..or the other way around?

Indyblue98
12-29-09, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback - are you saying that the insurance on your STS-V is higher than your Vette and WS6..or the other way around?

STS-V is 50% higher than the TransAM was as a Daily Driver , and more than my Corvette that is listed as limited use.
But I don't have a "Clean" driving record so that may play into the cost.
Still it is something to check out before you buy.:duck:

StealthMan
12-29-09, 02:11 PM
Honest answer - I've been driving fast 4 doors for 25 years.

86 GLH Turbo
89 SHO
96 Impala SS
03 Marauder

At the same time, I always had a sports/fun car of some kind. The STS-V wraps everything into a single awesome package. It is just about my favorite car I've ever owned. I've had my 08 for about a year and put 10K miles on it, and I still laugh out loud whenever I get on the throttle. Interspersed with the occasional "Holy CRAP! That was Awesome!" after a nice tail-out, hook-up, and be GONE escapade.

From a financial standpoint - if you are selling one of your cars regardless of what you decide to buy, I'd say dump the Lexus and get the V. The Lexus is going to have a much relative higher resale value, and your Jeep is new enough that you take a bath if you sell it. Get an 07 or 08 V with CPO warranty, drive your Jeep for two more years, and then sell it for a nice used 2010 or 2011 Camaro (saving you probably $10k or more off buying a brand new one).

Thanks for the feedback. That is a pretty good suggestion...maybe the Z28 Camaro will be out by then too :thumbsup:

PGA2B
12-29-09, 04:19 PM
I read a magazine article that stated the Camaro SS will get the CTS-V Supercharged motor.

jedhead
12-29-09, 04:53 PM
I replaced my 1991 SHO on my insurance with the STS-V and the increase was smaller than I thought and cheaper than the Honda. The insurance went up to 850 per year about 40% of the insurance I pay on my 2003 Honda Accord.

Bob

PGA2B
12-29-09, 06:01 PM
I read a magazine article that stated the Camaro SS will get the CTS-V Supercharged motor.

Sorry, make that a Z28 Camaro:bonkers:

csf
12-29-09, 08:22 PM
Haha....I know it is not truly an apples to apples comparison between a Camaro and an STS-v...:histeric:...so probably hard to compare. I guess I am just looking for feedback from STS-V owners if they love their car and would recommend one.

BTW - I am 41 years old, married with 3 kids. I currently drive an 06 Lexus GS300 AWD as my DD, and I have an 08 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited as my "fun" ride. I was thinking about selling my Jeep and getting a Camaro and keeping my Lexus as my DD (it will be paid off in 2010). Now I am thinking that maybe I keep my Jeep (I do love driving it), selling my Lexus and buying an STS-V as my DD rather than getting a Camaro.

So many decisions :hmm:

I'm 49 years old, two kids I just traded my 05 Pontiac GTO (6 speed LS2 V8, 400hp) to get an 07 STS-V. I thought about a Camaro but once I drove one I honestly thought the GTO was nicer and more comfortable inside, and drove very similarly, so I passed on the Camaro. I have had a Jeep Wrangler Sahara and a couple of Lexuses, as well as almost every other brand of car (except for the exotics).

I've had the STS-V a month now, using it as a daily driver. Its big, comfortable and fast. The interior is beautiful, the radio sounds great and its got ALOT of features/toys. It looks great with the exterior body kit, big wheels, hood bulge and steel grill. But it uses premium gas quickly and has a small (17 gallon ) tank for such a big car so I need to fill up more than I'm used to. The runflat tires the car comes with are so horrible so I had to buy a set of all seasons fo $1000 - since the car has staggered wheels and only a few tire choices are available. Now I have no spare but there is Cadillac roadside service and OnStar. Finally the sterring is a little "loose", probably just overboosted like many other large cars. The car handles curves and ramps perfectly but the steering is just a bit imprecise. But after a month I'm glad I bought it. And the STS-V is so rare you may never see another one - I know I haven't.

My insurance went up $300 over the GTO and I have a great driving record. My agent, who is also my friend, said he looked and STS-V parts and repairs are rated very expensive and hard to get.

However, in your case I can see two scenarios:

1)I'd keep the Lexus. Its almost paid off, it'll run forever, it gets better mileage, and its AWD. Then I'd trade the Jeep and get the Camaro - when the convertible comes out, if you like convertibles, which was a great thing about my Jeep.

2) I'd get the STS-V and keep the Jeep for all bad weather, if you live where bad weather occurs - I think you absolutely need a foul weather car if you have an STS-V -almost 500hp to the rear wheel huge tires is not the ideal poor weather vehicle ( we have a RAV4).

In summary, I really really like the STS-V so far, but its not a pure sports car - apples and oranges as you first said.

Sorry if this too long - but since I just got mine all my decsions are fresh in my mind still. Good Luck

nlharter
12-29-09, 11:12 PM
Don't let the tires scare you though. You can expect the same thing with the SS. They are having the same complaints on the Camaro forums.

StealthMan
12-30-09, 12:19 AM
I'm 49 years old, two kids I just traded my 05 Pontiac GTO (6 speed LS2 V8, 400hp) to get an 07 STS-V. I thought about a Camaro but once I drove one I honestly thought the GTO was nicer and more comfortable inside, and drove very similarly, so I passed on the Camaro. I have had a Jeep Wrangler Sahara and a couple of Lexuses, as well as almost every other brand of car (except for the exotics).

I've had the STS-V a month now, using it as a daily driver. Its big, comfortable and fast. The interior is beautiful, the radio sounds great and its got ALOT of features/toys. It looks great with the exterior body kit, big wheels, hood bulge and steel grill. But it uses premium gas quickly and has a small (17 gallon ) tank for such a big car so I need to fill up more than I'm used to. The runflat tires the car comes with are so horrible so I had to buy a set of all seasons fo $1000 - since the car has staggered wheels and only a few tire choices are available. Now I have no spare but there is Cadillac roadside service and OnStar. Finally the sterring is a little "loose", probably just overboosted like many other large cars. The car handles curves and ramps perfectly but the steering is just a bit imprecise. But after a month I'm glad I bought it. And the STS-V is so rare you may never see another one - I know I haven't.

My insurance went up $300 over the GTO and I have a great driving record. My agent, who is also my friend, said he looked and STS-V parts and repairs are rated very expensive and hard to get.

However, in your case I can see two scenarios:

1)I'd keep the Lexus. Its almost paid off, it'll run forever, it gets better mileage, and its AWD. Then I'd trade the Jeep and get the Camaro - when the convertible comes out, if you like convertibles, which was a great thing about my Jeep.

2) I'd get the STS-V and keep the Jeep for all bad weather, if you live where bad weather occurs - I think you absolutely need a foul weather car if you have an STS-V -almost 500hp to the rear wheel huge tires is not the ideal poor weather vehicle ( we have a RAV4).

In summary, I really really like the STS-V so far, but its not a pure sports car - apples and oranges as you first said.

Sorry if this too long - but since I just got mine all my decsions are fresh in my mind still. Good Luck

No..not too long. Thank you very much for your feedback! My first thought was same as your scenario #1 - my Lexus has been trouble free, no issues, zero since I bought her brand new..and I now have 72K miles on her. She is reliable and it is a nice car - and will be paid off next year. So keeping her as my DD was always the first thought on my mind. I do need a bad weather vehicle, which my Lexus would be (given it is AWD)..and my current fun car (Jeep) is my summer ride. I would just be switching my fun ride from the Jeep to the Camaro.

Your scenarion # 2 is what I have been recently considering...keeping the Jeep for a winter/bad weather vehicle..selling the Lexus and getting the STS-V.

Either way sounds like I cannot go wrong ..just need to make a decision! :confused:

Florian
12-30-09, 12:44 PM
The STS-v has been the best car Ive ever owned. Ive had plenty of sports cars to compare to....

69 Mustang Mach 1
96 Impala SS
98 Camaro SS
00 Camaro SS
01 Audi S4
04 CTS-v (highly modded)
07 STS-v (bone stock)

I must say that the refinements in the STSv are the best feature...not to mention 469HP on tap, but since the torque nannies are everpresent, its rare that you get all 469 at one time.

Enjoy your new STSv, youre gonna love it!

F

garfin
12-31-09, 02:50 PM
I can relate to your dilemma! I've been going thru a similar process and the 1st priority for me was to decide on how to keep a manual car in the stable - I gotta have a manual car at my disposal! I don't know where that fits into your list of priorities...
I currently own a manual '98 Camaro SS that I enjoy as a 3 season DD and as a once/twice a season track car. A new Camaro SS has been in my sights for a long time, but I decided against getting one for a couple of reasons:
1. I don't fit in the new Camaro wearing a helmet, if it has a sunroof (I need a car with some kind of roof treatment).
2. My modded '98 is as fast, if not faster than the new SS, handles better and I'd consider it a sidewaqys move, even though the new Camaro is a great vehicle and is certainly much more refined than my '98.
I fell in love with the new CTS-V, but wasn't gonna pay that price for an auto while keeping the SS.
So I've had a lot of difficulty deciding between keeping the manual SS and buying a used STS-V to keep it company, or getting a manual CTS-V and saying good-bye to the SS.
I spent about 45 min. behind the wheel of an '06 STS-V and was very impressed with the power, the room, the ride and the amenities... but not so much with the handling and high degree of understeer (for me anyway) as I'm used to driving a more agile car.
Bottom line is that I've decided not to compromise and ordered an '10 CTS-V manual and will be looking for a new home for the SS.
Hope that perspective helps a bit. Good luck and enjoy!!

Best regards,

Elie

CIWS
12-31-09, 02:53 PM
I spent about 45 min. behind the wheel of an '06 STS-V and was very impressed with the power, the room, the ride and the amenities... but not so much with the handling and high degree of understeer (for me anyway) as I'm used to driving a more agile car.

She has a fat ass, but we love her anyway. :D

inurok
01-01-10, 04:36 AM
Lol I test drove a V6 camaro than that car was mad quick actually. I was like who needs a v8 anymore. Once above 60 the v series shines. Buy a used G8 GT drop a supercharger in it and walk every STS-V you encounter. Man these new cars are getting harder and harder to beat.