: The D3 crew are the greatest

Gary Wells
12-28-09, 09:31 PM
Went in this A.M. and D3 R&R'd my isolator. Exact mileage was 1225, I believe. It had already started digging into the supercharger shaft pretty deep. I am grateful that I caught it when I did, decided to have it replaced when I did, and took it to D3 Research & Design. Great crew there, James, Matt, & Craig, & 1 other person that I did not catch his name. Got to meet James dad, who is really a great guy. All were polite, professional, and had the car squared away in no time at all. I highly recommend them and their shop in Signal hill. It was so nice to drive the car home without that noise, which I had previously thought that I could not hear from the inside of the car. It was easily identifiable from outside the car, even with the hood down, but inside the car all you could tell is that the motor just didn't sound right. Great price, too, all in all, came to slightly over $200, which I thought was a great deal considering how unhappy I was knowing that the car wasn't at it's best. If you are in the SoCal area, give James a call and drop by and check out their operation. Thanks again, James, Matt, & Craig.

Doct
12-28-09, 09:56 PM
Yea, James is a really cool guy. D3 is very professional and has really good products.

lavaman
12-29-09, 08:34 AM
Gary,

Did you have them install Jesse's isolator? Can you now hear any SC gear whine as suggested by GM?

liqidvenom
12-29-09, 11:21 AM
do you have a pic of the damage to the shaft?

Gary Wells
12-29-09, 11:33 AM
Gary,

Did you have them install Jesse's isolator? Can you now hear any SC gear whine as suggested by GM?

No, they (D3 Research & Design) installed Lingenfelter's (sp?) which might be the same one that Jesse uses. Dunno. I do not know where Jesse gets his from. More than likely, there are probably many more people / places selling these than there are manufacturers fabricating them.
No, I can't hear any supercharger whine. It actually quieted the motor down a tad, which tells me that some of what I was attributing to normal motor noise was not, but that portion of the noise was also not identifiable as bad noise coming from a defective / worn / isolator.

Gary Wells
12-29-09, 11:48 AM
do you have a pic of the damage to the shaft?
No, I do not, and maybe "damage" is not an appropriate term to use, depending upon how you look at the issue. It was obvious that the isolator spring was starting to, or had already started to, wear grooves into the shaft. Probably not more than .010-.015 deep, or there about. I believe that the shaft was maybe a .500 dia. shaft, if I remember correctly, and consequently, I am not concerned about the shaft breaking as much as I am troubled by a $70K car sounding like a diesel. The noise had just started, sort of a tick, tick, purr, tick, tick, tick and I could hear it with the hood shut if I was over by the *passenger side* of the hood where it runs parallel to the fender. I could not hear it from inside the interior compartment, but as I was driving home when I first observed it, I thought that I heard a couple of chirps that sounded like what an idler arm bearing sounds like when it first starts to go out. I did not even raise the hood. I knew from the forum that it was either a idler arm bearing or the infamous isolator. Thanks forum people.

lavaman
12-29-09, 04:13 PM
No, they (D3 Research & Design) installed Lingenfelter's (sp?) which might be the same one that Jesse uses. Dunno. I do not know where Jesse gets his from. More than likely, there are probably many more people / places selling these than there are manufacturers fabricating them.
No, I can't hear any supercharger whine. It actually quieted the motor down a tad, which tells me that some of what I was attributing to normal motor noise was not, but that portion of the noise was also not identifiable as bad noise coming from a defective / worn / isolator.

I installed Jesse's isolator somewhere around 500 miles and now with about 8500 miles ...no rattle...no whine (except from me as I walk past the parked "V " in the garage on my way out to my pickup) DARN WINTER WEATHER IN CHICAGO!

IRONDOG
12-29-09, 07:42 PM
No, I do not, and maybe "damage" is not an appropriate term to use, depending upon how you look at the issue. It was obvious that the isolator spring was starting to, or had already started to, wear grooves into the shaft. Probably not more than .010-.015 deep, or there about. I believe that the shaft was maybe a .500 dia. shaft, if I remember correctly, and consequently, I am not concerned about the shaft breaking as much as I am troubled by a $70K car sounding like a diesel. The noise had just started, sort of a tick, tick, purr, tick, tick, tick and I could hear it with the hood shut if I was over by the *passenger side* of the hood where it runs parallel to the fender. I could not hear it from inside the interior compartment, but as I was driving home when I first observed it, I thought that I heard a couple of chirps that sounded like what an idler arm bearing sounds like when it first starts to go out. I did not even raise the hood. I knew from the forum that it was either a idler arm bearing or the infamous isolator. Thanks forum people.

I'm new to this issue. So what are the Dealers and GM doing about this problem?

Gary Wells
12-29-09, 08:19 PM
I'm new to this issue. So what are the Dealers and GM doing about this problem?
You are much more knowledgeable about this issue than I am, because you posted this at 4:25 this afternoon, and I just now read that thread.

Scott Pratt from Superior Cadillac, do you know anything about this issue? Have any of the 300 plus cars you have sold had superchargers replaced based on this issue? Please advise.

But here's some more interesting reading you might find beneficial:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/179364-isolator-issue.html

HTH

Ross Racing
12-31-09, 11:04 AM
I have always enjoyed stopping by D3 to get work done to my car and see some of the cool projects that they are working on. In my opinion it is a top notch company. In return I have been a good customer and my V is happier too.