Cadillac Owners Forum banner

need help!! rear heat actuator reinstall

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  06Caddykeith 
#1 ·
I've had no troubles getting my rear temp actuator out. It took like 5 mins to get to it and get it out, but now I can't get it back in. I am waiting for my new one to come in tomorrow but was trying to reinstall it and it wont go on? The arm that the actuator turns to change from hot to cold is at a different angle than the hole it fits into in the actuator. It seems like the arm needs to rotate clockwise a little (if we were looking at angles on a clock- needs to go from 12 to 2). I cannot rotate the actuator and the arm is maxed out....can anyone help me? Also whats the deal with the green painted screw....usually that indicates ground but how when the housing of trhe actuator is all plastic?

#2 ·
Had a peek at the service manual, nothing special there for reassembly. Did you drive the truck while the actuator was removed? Maybe something moved that wasnt supposed to? If you can figure out which position of the door gives heat or cold, set your controls into that mode before plugging in new module and turning ignition on. As for the green screws, probably a new guy on the assembly line that day and they had him color green all the screws he put on...

#3 ·
Alright so I got it back together and its working again. So, what happened (I think) is that when I took it off I had switched the 2 actuators to test them and see if the director actuator one worked in the temp actuators place and vise versa. When I did this i did not put them back in place I just checked to see if they would rotate, to which because there was nothing stopping them (IE pressure from the door being closed) they rotated past the normal point. I tried every possible combination to get it to reset, but had no luck. So, I took one of the actuators and opened it up (undid the clips on the side...more so broke everyone I tried to undo - but no big deal because the screws that hold it in place can also hold it together). Once it was opened I pulled the gear out so I could back the female end on the actuator to the correct position, i reinstalled the gear and put in back the SUV and she worked like a dam! I hope that may help anyone else who may encounter the same problem. Had I known it was going to work I would have taken pics along the way but after it was installed and working I figured I would just leave it that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.