: I smell coolant

donky4444
12-27-09, 10:26 PM
I have a 2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP with the 4.6 N* with 80k on it and I keep getting a light smell of coolant in my car when it is running. I have checked all over in the engine bay and can't find a leak anywhere. I have also checked the oil cap to see if the oil is looking white or leaving a white film on the cap to see if coolant is getting in there but that looks good. I have also checked all under the dash to see if it's coming from the heater core but nothing. I don't smell it coming from the vents and it gets stronger when the car is sitting still and goes away when I am moving down the road. Any suggestions??

cl1986
12-27-09, 10:38 PM
mine had a wierd leak at the coolant crossover tubes, there are little green hose connectors, i couldnt find the leak for months, then one day i opened the hood, and saw a small pin hole spurting up in the air, it was back by the trans linkage area, probrably would have never found it except for spotting it that one day.

It only leaked when it was running, and must of hit the exhuast cause there was never any puddles, lost like a 1/2 gallon in 3 or 4 months, very slow leak.

donky4444
12-27-09, 10:45 PM
That's what I am thinking since I can never seem to really locate where it is coming from. I figure it is leaking slowly someplace and hitting the exhaust.

Ranger
12-30-09, 11:42 PM
Crossover manifold leaks where somewhat common in the 2000+'s, but I'd be surprised if you could smell it inside the cabin. Smelling it inside the cabin makes me think heater core, but it should not dissipate when moving.