Cadillac Owners Forum banner

new style intake manifold - benefits - see link

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Shon Herron 
#1 ·
I saw this on Maryland Speed's website. Any benefits to this? I have intake, headers, and exhaust done... Is there a real difference in manifolds over stock? This just looks fancy with fuel rails... I've heard horror stories with different throttle bodies and is that the expected gain?.. the fact that this can handle a larger TB? What is the 05V TB size stock anyway and would a stock TB kill the benefits?

What ya thinks? All show, no real go? not a bad price, I like the fuel rails

http://marylandspeed.com/profession...ls6-vehicles-satin-finish-prp52061-p-829.html

http://marylandspeed.com/ctsv-series-20042007-engine-components-c-500_523.html

#2 ·
It does look fancy, but I can't speak on its function. Stock TB for the 05V is 78mm. 06-07V's had the 90mm. I would assume if you put a 78mm TB on a 85mm opening, it would be a bad thing but I could be wrong.

#9 ·
I haven't been shopping for engine parts in a while, so things may have changed, but when Professional Products first came out in the Mustang world they were basically cheap, Chinese-made knock-offs of Edelbrock parts. That was a couple/few years ago. Not sure if their reputation or production quality has improved since then.

I would assume if you put a 78mm TB on a 85mm opening, it would be a bad thing but I could be wrong.
You would be wrong. :) You wouldn't be taking full advantage of the larger throttle opening in the manifold, but there wouldn't be anything wrong with doing that.

This, on the other hand...
How about the the 90mm TB and this item with the 85mm opening?
... would be a bad idea. Now you've got a 90mm throttle body bolted to an 85mm hole, so there's a 2.5mm shelf sticking out into the airflow after it passes through the TB. That's bad.

Must they match?
Smaller TB on bigger opening is OK. Bigger TB on smaller opening is bad.

#3 ·
I agree that the smaller TB would be not good. Does the 90mm from the 06+ bolt up to the 05 manifold? How about the the 90mm TB and this item with the 85mm opening? Must they match? How bad is the mod to a larger TB with the engine management and stuff?

#4 ·
dumb questions.. they have the items under CTS-v but they are catagorized by GTO... I know buth ls1, ls6 with slight differences. maybe i call them

#5 ·
The 90mm TB will not bolt on the 05 V intake manifold. The 90mm TB is a 4 bolt and the 78mm TB is a 3 bolt with different mounting points. I'll let someone else answer the other questions as I'm not completely sure.

#6 ·
Wow awsome price. I wonder how the gains are. (and I wonder if it comes with the fuel rains and injectors like the pic shows)

It looks like you need the 4bolt LS2 T.B. to make this work .

heres a direct qoute from the site

"Professional Products offers 80 and 85mm throttle bodies and 96 and 101mm throttle bodies are in development.* The 96mm inlet version of this manifold can be used with either the stock 91mm LS2 throttle body or various aftermarket large bore throttle bodies. "

#7 · (Edited)
#8 ·
#10 ·
well according to TTP these intake manifold's are garbage i was about to purchase one but i called tune time first to see what there thoughts where and he said " you might see good gain while its cold, but that thing is just gunna SOAK up heak" i dont know much about the matter but almost all imports use aluminum intake manifold thats my 2 cents

#12 ·
If you want a good proven intake, just buy the FAST intake. Its expensive but proven.

#13 ·
If your ultimate goal is much over 400 rwhp, you probably should go ahead get a FAST and be done with it.

In my case, I do not intend to do headers or aftermarket heads and my cam is correspondingly mild. I believe the modified LS6 intake with the ported LS2 throttle body provides all the intake capacity I will need.

#15 ·
This intake is already being discussed on the front page of the Performance forum. This would be a good option for a direct port nitrous setup, but otherwise it is just a heavy heat sink.
If I understand you correctly, this new gadget is being discussed in the Performance Section and the General Discussion Section simultaneouly, while it is really belongs (if anywhere) in the Appearance Mod Section.

#16 ·
:histeric:

#17 ·
I know alot of guys mentioned the FAST.

On the LS6 it realy only shows minimal gains of 5-6hp, unless you have a badass heads+cam package then you might see 10-15 or more.

The intake + T.B. will cost you over $1,000.

IMO its not worth the money unless you realy just have a hole burning in your pocket.

#18 ·
Like max said, you wont see gains unless you have some major goodies in the engine. That just goes to show how good the LS6 intake really is. The LS6 intake flows more than enough air for a fairly stock LS6 and wont be a necessary upgrade until you have other things under your belt. Personally from things I have read and seen published on the internet, I would only put a fast intake on my car, and only after I had at least a pretty radical cam and a set of headers.

#19 ·
once again... wise comments from experienced people.. Great points about the effectiveness of the LS6 manifold and the alternatives being big heat sinks... rather take the $ and save for a maggie, one cna dream..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.