: Best Bar's Leak...C16 Liquid

Quadrasteer
08-09-04, 05:17 PM
Can't seem to find the Bar's Leak tablets in my area & I wasn't sure that the powder was the same product. The web site dosen't say much about the ingredients or specific usage of all the diff. cooling system sealers. So I called them and asked what the difference in the products were & what the best product was to use in our NS systems. All the Radiator Stop Leaks are aprox. the same product. The one that they consider the best,and use themselves, is the C16 liquid. They said it has more of the conditioner in it and does not need to dissolve. The tablets were used by the OEMs because they could be shipped & dispensed easily. Their Liquid Aluminum is the best selling stop leak product (for stopping active leaks) and they have a new 1100 Head Gasket Repair product. Also, they recommend replacing the sealer (that we use) every year or 12k.

Twilightcall
08-09-04, 06:14 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I am about to do my first cooling system flush. I am changing the hoses, thermostat and coolant. I had planned on buying the tablets but if this will work. I am not sure if I should get the Dex-Cool or normal Prestone green.

Quadrasteer
08-09-04, 09:07 PM
It depends on what's in there now or what came in it from the factory. I always use Dexcool. Some say that once the green stuff is used the Dexcool doesn't work properly so it's a waste to put it in. You could do a search and get a lot of info on this subject.

peteski
08-10-04, 01:24 AM
Our cadillacforums Northstar expert (BBOB) recommends using only the tablets (dog turds) ot the Gold Seal powder (same stuff as those tablets, but in powder form).

He recommends against using the liquid version as he states it has some sort of oil in it which can cause foaming of the coolant (not a good thing in a N* engine). I dissolved the turds and powder in some coolant and they also foam up is stirred, but what BBOB says is gospel here...

He also says never to use any other Bar's Leak products (like the Aluminum or Copper stuff).

if you search this forum for "BBOB" and "coolant", you'll find his recommendations. Go with what he says.

Peteski

Ranger
08-10-04, 01:04 PM
Peteski is right. Bbob has said to stay away from the aluminum & copper sealrs (I forget the reasoning). Stick with the tabs or the "Bars Leak Gold".
Twighlight, Your car came with the green silicated coolant. You can use Dex-cool but you will still need to change it every 2 years because the system has been plated with the silicates so you cannot take advatage of the 5yr change from Dex-cool.

Eldorado_RED
08-10-04, 02:18 PM
Hey Quad, i got some of that new 1100 Head Gasket Repair sitting on my desk. Havent had the guts to use it yet though. From the label, it seems to good to be true. It Fixes blown head gaskets, cracks in the block, the whole 9. But from reading posts on here im not sure if its a good idea to use. I got a head gasket leak and from what the mechs are telling me, i need another engine, so i might just give it a try since i dont have nothin to lose (but it could damage other components of the car, ex. Heater core, someone please elaborate on this).
But i did try some of the GM seal tabs (bars leak golden seal) and that had my car running like a charm for about 15 mins then it started overheating. I havent drove it since then, but i have cranked it up and i dont see any steam out the exhuast anymore so i might just add some more pellets and see if it will hold up. Good luck wit your problem and anyone else that is going through the same thing

Sam

Ranger
08-10-04, 04:06 PM
Hey Quad, i got some of that new 1100 Head Gasket Repair sitting on my desk. Havent had the guts to use it yet though. From the label, it seems to good to be true. It Fixes blown head gaskets, cracks in the block, the whole 9. But from reading posts on here im not sure if its a good idea to use. I got a head gasket leak and from what the mechs are telling me, i need another engine, so i might just give it a try since i dont have nothin to lose (but it could damage other components of the car, ex. Heater core, someone please elaborate on this).
But i did try some of the GM seal tabs (bars leak golden seal) and that had my car running like a charm for about 15 mins then it started overheating. I havent drove it since then, but i have cranked it up and i dont see any steam out the exhuast anymore so i might just add some more pellets and see if it will hold up. Good luck wit your problem and anyone else that is going through the same thing

Sam

Why would you need a new engine just because the head gaskets are bad? You need new head gaskets and of course, timsert the head bolt holes. Either your mechanic doesn't know how to work on a Northstar (timesert) or is trying to make more money on a new engine. Get a second opinion.

Eldorado_RED
08-10-04, 11:45 PM
Hey Ranger, I have came across numerous mechanics and they all want to jump the gun and assume the engine is bad. Well this would be the second time the heads have leaked. The dealership didnt do a good job 16,000 miles ago so i guess everyone is assuming that the engine is bad because the same thing happend again so quickly. But im in atlanta GA, if you know anyone willing to take a look at the heads and replace the gasket please let me know. I found a place willing to do the heads but it costs almost the same price as puttin another engine in. Thanks for your time and help

Sam

Ranger
08-11-04, 12:22 PM
I don't know anyone in Ga., sorry. I'm guessing the dealer didn't timsert the first time. Lends a lot of credance to what Bbob has always said. If you don't timsert the first time you'll be doing it again. What a shame. I would go back to that dealer and raise holy hell.