: Going to look at a black 96' Fleetwood Brougham tomorrow, what to look for?

durrk johnson
12-26-09, 07:59 PM
http://images.craigslist.org/3n93me3o05Te5Pa5Re9c5bacea7bb0c991171.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3n13m13l55Tc5Pf5R29c50604035853541fcf.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3k93pe3oc5T05P35S19c5e78103d8381c14f6.jpg

There's the car...

He told me 3500$ o.b.o

I got 2000$ back from insurance after my 80' coupe deville burned up...

So now, I have exactly 2500 to spend at the moment, but can possibly borrow more if the car is worth it....

This is basically my dream car... What are some things I should look for?

Bro-Ham
12-26-09, 08:11 PM
What are some things I should look for?
an errection when you see it :) :) :) :)

durrk johnson
12-26-09, 08:35 PM
hahahahah

Im sure that will happen...

I just dont know how Im going to either be able to talk him down, or get my parents to borrow me money. lol

Both seem impossible. haha

Ive seen his ad for a month or so, so he must be sticking pretty firm on the price. (And im sure its worth it.)

Bro-Ham
12-26-09, 08:54 PM
I don't know the 93-96 Floatwoods that well - my only advice is to follow your gut and if you're concerned, bring it to the local Cad dealer and ask for the veteran mechanic to give it a pre-purchase inspection. That could be worth it and ensure a long, long love affair! :)

HUF
12-26-09, 08:58 PM
hahahahah

Im sure that will happen...

I just dont know how Im going to either be able to talk him down, or get my parents to borrow me money. lol

Both seem impossible. haha

Ive seen his ad for a month or so, so he must be sticking pretty firm on the price. (And im sure its worth it.)

After you made sure there's nothing wrong in your lower department LOL, look at the undercarriage for rust. Look for damage from a leaky battery. Check the audio system. Trunk pull down. Heated seats. Memory seats. Cracked dashboard. Transmission shifting strangely. Excessive wind noise. Condition of the tires. Any noises and vibrations while driving on a highway. These are all factors which can affect the price or even the deal itself.

And finally, it always makes sense to buy a used car or anything else for that matter from a MOTIVATED seller.

sven914
12-26-09, 09:42 PM
Before you test drive the car, check the fluids. Especially check the coolant expansion tank to see it at the cold level. Also don't forget about the brake and power steering fluids (don't check the brake fluid after you touch the power steering fluid). The master cylinder reservoir should have a fluid level indicator on the side, but you should take the cover off and look at the color of the fluid.

During the test drive listen for any noises; don't dive with the radio on. When you get onto a generally flat, straight road, let go of the wheel and see if the car tracks straight or if it immediately veers off. Turn on the AC and see if it blows cold (set the climate control to 60) and turn the heat all the way up to see if it gives good heat. Check the defroster. Finally, set the climate control on ECON, 60 degrees, and smell the air coming through the vents. The air should have no oder.

When you get back, leave the engine running and pop the hood. Check the transmission fluid level and fluid color and smell the fluid to see if it is burnt. The fluid should be a pink to dark red color, but not brown.

Stingroo
12-26-09, 09:47 PM
Also after your drive, check for trouble codes. That can reveal some other things too.

Make sure level-ride works too. Cracked dashboards are common (it's so big, you can seriously fit a pizza box on it). Uhh... yeah. That's all I can think of.

Oh, and for the love of all that is good and holy: find it some whitewalls if you buy it. :)

Good luck!

durrk johnson
12-26-09, 09:51 PM
Hey thanks guys!

Its really snowy here so I dont know how well the test drive is gonna go, and he said that he has to go with during the test drive. I understand why. haha

Also, he said the AC doesnt work, and he doesnt know why. But he said everything else works...

We will see, hopefully I can find a way to make this car mine. haha

96Fleetwood
12-26-09, 10:58 PM
The price is high for a Fleetwood with non-working A/C. You can use that as a bargaining chip! AC Delco compressors retail for close to $500... but you can get aftermarket compressors + accumulators for under $300.

Check for rust, especially the bumpers. Check for rust at the inner front fenders, door jambs, radiator support, and floors.

Make sure all the power windows, seats, power antenna, power trunk closer, and seat heaters work.

Check the vinyl top for cracks or bubbling.

Drive it and check the front suspension, smooth acceleration, and good braking.

Ask when the last tune up was (plugs, wires, optispark). Pop the hood after the test drive and sniff around for coolant smell. If you smell any coolant, look for slight puddling around the waterpump or at the plastic side tanks of the radiator.

When you move it from its parking spot, look for any fluid leaks. Oil cooler lines and oil filter adapter are two common spots for oil leaks.

See if the air compressor for the rear kicks on and that the car doesn't sag or sit too high in the rear.

I think $2K is more than reasonable for that car. I sold my '93 Brougham with 69,000 original miles last year for $4K.. but it wasn't as clean as my 1996.

N0DIH
12-27-09, 02:41 PM
One thing I would look for, lift back wheels and remove tires/drums and LIFT up on the axle, if there is more than GM spec'd clearance, avoid, probably has the dreaded wrong axle cover gasket, it wiped one of my rear shafts, and they are unique to the Fleetwood (94-96, possibly 93-96). I have a new pair that I am saving.....

It might be a pain, a "bad" case would be axle fluid leaking, mine did, I replaced the seal with no help. No axle noises either.

durrk johnson
12-28-09, 09:44 PM
I bought it guys... I bought it.

I was able to talk him down to 3,000.00

The engine is rediculously clean...

Only things i see so wrong is a broken bumper moulding, no ac, and Im not sure whats up with the alarm, as the remote doesnt work.

Im going to get it registered tomorrow.

The car is amazing. Im still kinda surprised i have it.

Pics and new thread tomorrow. :)

Stingroo
12-28-09, 09:47 PM
Hooray! Can't wait to see pics!

HUF
12-28-09, 09:57 PM
I bought it guys... I bought it.

I was able to talk him down to 3,000.00

The engine is rediculously clean...

Only things i see so wrong is a broken bumper moulding, no ac, and Im not sure whats up with the alarm, as the remote doesnt work.

Im going to get it registered tomorrow.

The car is amazing. Im still kinda surprised i have it.

Pics and new thread tomorrow. :)
Congrats! Did you run on-board diagnostics?

My_favorite_Brougham
12-28-09, 10:24 PM
Woohoo! Gotta love that first night with her! How's she compare to the CDV?

Oh and don't forget to update your profile so we always know! :D

durrk johnson
12-28-09, 10:34 PM
haha yes... The car is so nice... I cant really compare it to the CDV...Its like a totally different machine.

I havent been able to take it out yet, just drive it home from where I bought it from... Im going to get plates and registration tomorrow.

And Im also going to run the diagnostics tomorow aswell. The LT1 looks sweeeeet.

Ill make a new thread with pics tomorrow, and Im not really sure how to run diagnostics... ha So I will need help with that.

Im not really feeling the super dark tint, it will most likely get me pulled over alot.... Hopefully not. ha

HUF
12-28-09, 10:48 PM
haha yes... The car is so nice... I cant really compare it to the CDV...

Im not really sure how to run diagnostics... ha So I will need help with that.

Play the video: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/173800-rwd-faq-tech-info.html

96Fleetwood
12-29-09, 06:44 AM
Congrats on the purchase!

Here is where I bought my replacement A/C compressor from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-A-C-Compressor-CADILLAC-FLEETWOOD-BROUGHAM-1994-96_W0QQitemZ8011825339QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Ca r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1dd8ac0bb

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-29-09, 08:05 AM
Sweet! Can't wait to see the pics and new thread!

durrk johnson
12-29-09, 09:43 AM
Hey thanks guys... Another thing I was worried about is, The guy i bought this from had it garage kept since 03.

I have a garage space i could rent at my current place but Im moving next month to a place that doesnt have a garage space...

As you all know, Its winter... And wisconsin winters are harsh on nice caddies like these.

Im not exactly sure what i should do... :/

Bro-Ham
12-29-09, 10:24 AM
Durrk, That's GREAT! Congratulations!!! How exciting!!! Can't wait to see the pics! :) Dave

Bro-Ham
12-29-09, 10:37 AM
As far as garaging your beauty, that is ideal obviously. Parking outside won't cause the car to disintegrate as long as you take care of the car. Wash it regularly, wax it frequently, put some 303 on the top and interior, and say a prayer for a mild winter. My 79 parked outside, by accident, for two years up in Minnesota - rain, shine, snow, everything - I lost track of it while I was in Florida before I drove it down here and started driving it every day last spring. StingOrange (Stingrooo) loves it when I talk about 303 and I swear that has saved this car and kept it looking so young through the years and prevented it from looking like a faded out tacky old tub like many used and abused old Cadillacs that are still trolling around. My car was a garage queen prior to me owning it and I always kept it inside the first 3 years I had it. Now the car parks outside nightly right by the Gulf of Mexico although I'm lucky it's in a garage during the day when I'm at the office. I take care of the car right and always get compliments on how clean it is. Your car won't melt if it's outside as long as you give it plenty of extra lovin! :)

N0DIH
12-29-09, 11:45 AM
I think the same compressor on the 96-00 "OBS" (Old Body Style) trucks fits, not 100% sure on fittings, but very likely would work. There is the HR6 and DA6. I think the LT1's had the HR6 and the truck line got the DA6. And I have never had a DA6 failure since I have had trucks, and I have driven well over 100K on the 2 of them. But my LT1 Fleetwood is on its 3rd comp (before I bought it) and the 1st and 2nd failed within 9 months of each other. Now I have some strange clutch plate on there that I can't get off (I have a bad clutch bearing I need to get off....) because it doesn't have the threads on the inside like it should have.

Mine was kept clean parked outside, but still rusted underneath. Watch above back wheels and under rear bumper. Keep the rear bumper polished and protected! Mine went to he|| and a handbag in short order once some rust showed up, I chrome polished it over and over and could not prevent it from falling apart and looking awful.

durrk johnson
12-29-09, 12:10 PM
So, If I keep the car clean, with adequate washes, it wont mess it up?

I looked at the inside of the door jams, and moldings inside of there and it is redicuously clean.

Im so scared to make this car go through this winter. I mean, The worst hasnt even came for us over here yet. Wisconsin winters are harsh, im talking about constant snow pounding and salt being put on roads during Jan-feb. haha

And should I get underbody flushes when i get a carwash?

outsider
12-29-09, 12:39 PM
as long as you don't let the salt sit on it too long should be ok

Cadillacboy
12-29-09, 12:50 PM
I am glad you bought such an imposing ride ;) . I think you will like your new ride all the way :)

durrk johnson
12-29-09, 06:22 PM
hey thanks guys!

Well, bummer today...

I cant get license plates because of a past ticket from 2003 that I apparently got in a 1989 Dodge.

I got my license in 2008 by the way.

And my delinquent father has the same name as me...

Get it? :(

So yeah, I gotta wait almost 2 weeks for this dumbass ticket to clear that i didnt even get.

Stingroo
12-29-09, 07:30 PM
Hey! That's the same situation I'm in! Shit... I had a phone bill that was sent to collections in 2001 that was on my credit, and because of that I couldn't get a credit card. Luckily, I got it all cleared up and was able to get one before they got Obama-ized. (not to turn this into a political thread, no lock!)

Sucks though. Until then, you can at least enjoy the fact that you've got a working vehicle. :)

Bro-Ham
12-29-09, 08:29 PM
StingO, There's a message here. :) $3k buys a super nice working car... :) Dump your boat, maybe sell it to the FleetwoodGuy, put your good money after good and start riding! :) :) :) That black car Durrk invested in is gorgeous! I know you want to be mobile before school starts next fall and you're talking about work finally starting... Just trying to get some vehicular smiling on your face like Durrk is lucky enough to (almost) be enjoying! :) Durrk, I hope your situation gets resolved immediately if not sooner! :) And here's another smile to toast to that!!! :)

Stingroo
12-29-09, 10:14 PM
^ I was seriously considering that, if the problem turns out to be serious like a HG.

Plus, I could pick up a 4.9 STS or DeVille for even cheaper. I have to admit, Jesda is making me <3 the STS.

Bro-Ham
12-29-09, 11:14 PM
Well, my dear O, it's more fun to drive a car that you own, especially when it's your only car. A car is freedom to go where you want to go when you want to do it and that moves you ahead in life. :)

HUF
12-29-09, 11:35 PM
Well, my dear O, it's more fun to drive a car that you own, especially when it's your only car. A car is freedom to go where you want to go when you want to do it and that moves you ahead in life. :)

Exactly! Besides, your only car is what restricts your freedom to go where you want to go when you want to do it when it brakes down. :D

9ine3reefleet
12-30-09, 12:14 AM
I am super happy you got that car, plus talked him down, I see you managed to find some loose change in the couch and scrape up the extra 500 too. Good deal man. That situation with the ticket will get settled and you will be able to LEGALLY enjoy your new girl. WE WANT PICS:bouncy:

94fwb
12-30-09, 11:04 PM
I know everyone will probably get upset, but you have to turn the traction control button off in the glove box at least once and do one smoke show after the snow is gone, Only then you will know that you have a luxury car with a big member! That's what I love about the 94-96 fleetwoods, same as impala ss but she's sexier! Go big or go home! Right? I have the 94 and it's the 4th and best caddy I've ever owned! Congrats!

N0DIH
12-30-09, 11:21 PM
Remember, one wheel wonder burn outs, the tire is traveling 2x speed read on speed minus the opposite wheel's speed (if same direction, plus if opposite direction). So over speeding tire is easy to do. Last thing you want is a tire exploding in the wheel well. Rare, but possible. I ran my 76 Delta 88 Royale up to 130+ on ice once before I realized what I was doing....

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-02-10, 03:24 PM
Last thing you want is a tire exploding in the wheel well. Rare, but possible.

We had a tire blow at 75mph on one of our trailers once. It blew up through the wheel well and took out a wall and the toilet. The toilet was broken into several pieces and the wall was completely gone and it had spewed insulation everywhere. Took us a few days to get everything back together.