: Aftermarket Intake vs. Increased Engine Noise?

Tony407
12-26-09, 02:29 PM
As someone recently pointed out after test driving a new V, the engine noise in our cars is quite muted. I've been watching and reading as several of my fellow members have upgraded their intakes to various cold air systems from Wait4Me, D3, Hennessey, etc. After reading about everyone's experiences with these intakes, I have noticed a lack of comments about my most important question: How have these impacted the in-cabin noise of the engine? I've heard a few comments about the supercharger whine being slightly louder, but I'm more interested in how the engine at WOT, blips, downshifting, etc. sounds. I'd like more notes from the engine inside the car. In the past with other vehicles I've owned, CAI systems have notably increased these above sounds in the car. I also like the sipping sounds these commonly produce during throttle blips. Not that I wouldn't welcome the performance increases they offer, but my main concern is engine noise.

Can anyone with experience with these please comment? In cabin videos? Etc?

Tony

nradcad
12-26-09, 09:27 PM
Amen. I know I beat this drum to death, but the most disappointing feature on the car is the cabin experience. Turn it to 11 and MORE COW BELL PLEASE!

Gary Wells
12-26-09, 09:54 PM
Hmmm, more cow bell?
OK, remove the engine covers
remove the rubber strip at the rear of the hood, but don't forget that this possibly will allow in moisture such as car wash, snow, heavy rain, & possible debris. Now if you do that CAI, even maybe as little as removing the bottom section of the factory air box.
Now if that doesn't satisfy you, install an amplifier *under the hood*, hook it to the stereo. Aw, J/K in the amplifier. Other stuff should work though.

nradcad
12-26-09, 09:58 PM
... even maybe as little as removing the bottom section of the factory air box.

Does this screw anything up? Engine need retuned. I've heard varying information on this.

GMX322V S/C
12-26-09, 10:20 PM
^^--No, but there's also not an appreciable benefit unless you get a tune--even a handheld tune, as well. Removing the engine covers and cutting off the bottom of the stock airbox does increase the supercharger whine subtly inside the cabin when putting around and I find it much more noticeable under WOT. From outside and in front of the car the whine is also much more noticeable, such as when the service valet pulls it up.

Gary Wells
12-26-09, 10:54 PM
I would never trust a service valet with one of these cars, even a girl service valet. Now there's an idea worth thinking about. If I had a business that required service valets, I think that I would hire all female valets. Young female valets. Maybe 25 years of age.

GMX322V S/C
12-26-09, 11:27 PM
But Gary, the dealer's service department won't let me retrieve my own car "due to insurance reasons," so I have to let the default, usually some swarthy-looking male valet bring it up. What can I do?? I'll be sure to feed back your suggestion on the next survey...

Gary Wells
12-27-09, 10:19 AM
But Gary, the dealer's service department won't let me retrieve my own car "due to insurance reasons," so I have to let the default, usually some swarthy-looking male valet bring it up. What can I do?? I'll be sure to feed back your suggestion on the next survey...
Oops, my bad. By valet, I was considering valets such as in restaurants & the like. I haven't had my CTS-V in for servicing yet, and I am simply dreading that moment. I don't think that those type of valets are going to do a heck of a lot on the dealership & just bringing your car back to you.
I am fortunate that I have my '87 turbo Buick serviced (oil changes, lubes, battery changes, etc., etc.,) and my '02 ZO6 serviced at a Buick dealership that I have been going to for about 12 years or so, so I can go back and visit my car and the *mechanic* whenever I want (within reason). I generally ask the service writer or service manager if I can go visit *my car* to talk to the *mechanic* as a means of courtesy and to let them know that I am not just wandering around where I should not be.
I am doubtful about mentioning it on their feed-back as to whether it will do any good, but I would look around for a dealership that's not quite so pompous about enforcing that rule, and go from there. Generally if you ask the service manager and explain the nature of your request, they will let you slide. As far as bringing your car back around, the dealership that I go to knows how sensitive / anally retentive I am about my *cars*, and they have the *mechanic* bring my cars around at my request. Generally informing / asking the service manager that you don't like 30 different people driving your *car* gets the point across. My dealership asked me once why I objected to different people driving my car, and I explained to them that if something went wrong I wanted one person to hold accountable, not 20, they got the idea. Good dealerships are hard to find, but they are out there. I am strongly considering taking my CTS-V to a reputable high performance shop in my area that works on these cars for servicing. And I never leave any of my cars for servicing. If they can't get to it right away, or have no idea when they can get to it, they're not getting *my car* to work on. Now if they are doing something major that requires over a day or so, I would plan on visiting my car during the day. HTH and sorry to Bogart the thread.

Mike 09 V
12-27-09, 11:00 AM
away, or have no idea when they can get to it, they're not getting *my car* to work on. Now if they are doing something major that requires over a day or so, I would plan on visiting my car during the day. HTH and sorry to Bogart the thread.

My wife and I were at a restaurant not far from the Caddy dealer, just a few months after we had gotten our SRX and noticed in the parking lot a whole bunch of new Cadillacs. Inside we saw a bunch of mechanics having lunch and when they left they took THEIR CUSTOMER'S CARS WITH THEM! So the next time we took our car in for an oil leak my wife noted the mileage and fuel level, (which was mostly full). When we got the car back it had an extra 300 miles on it and an empty tank! They replaced the oil pan drain plug to fix the leak!
Needless to say we raised a fuss but didn't get much satisfaction. Because we have no choice on where to take our car for servicing without another 50 mile round trip, we make a point of telling the service adviser what had happened and what we expect will happen with them. They are more docile now. I am still pissed and make it a point to bad mouth them at every opportunity to potential customers. I will have my pound of flesh.

GMX322V S/C
12-27-09, 01:42 PM
Gary, I guess you couldn't tell tongue was planted firmly in cheek in my last post. Since my V2 was the first one sold by my dealer, they try to treat me with kid gloves by informing the service manager that I am there, which I appreciate.

Back on topic: with my car the way it is, I can distinctly hear the supercharger whine even as the car basically settles down to idle as it rolls up.

Gary Wells
12-27-09, 02:04 PM
You are very fortunate to have a good dealer. Consider yourself lucky. My car came from Rennick Cadillac in Fullerton. It's never been in for servicing yet, and I might find myself an independent performance shop. I'm probably headed that way.

Tony407
12-27-09, 02:20 PM
Uhhhh... yeah.

Anyone with a cold air intake care to chime in?

Again, not that I don't want to hear the supercharger whine, but my biggest goal is ENGINE noise. Anyone with personal experience?

Tony

nradcad
12-27-09, 04:51 PM
Ya, I'd like to drown out the whine and increase the roar. With such similar engines, you'd think we could get a ZR1 sound out of that CTS-V.
That's my goal. Who can tell me how to do this? (besides by a ZR1 which I can assure you, I can't afford.)

Doct
12-27-09, 06:27 PM
Uhhhh... yeah.

Anyone with a cold air intake care to chime in?

Again, not that I don't want to hear the supercharger whine, but my biggest goal is ENGINE noise. Anyone with personal experience?

Tony

Tony,

My first mod was a D3 intake. I noticed way more supercharger whine but thats about it.

I just installed some headers and midpipes and that really woke it up. Hopefully that helps.

zyx5432
12-27-09, 08:41 PM
Not to hijack, but whats the best CAI out there right now?

Doct
12-28-09, 12:08 AM
I can't compare only because I have only seen the one I purchased but I got a D3 intake. Fitment was good as well as instructions. Only thing I can say is the clamps that came with mine were what seemed to be one size to big. I ran those clamps for a couple of hundred miles then when I did my other mods I replaced them with better fitting clamps.

Never disconnected battery just installed it and no error codes so no problems here.

poonamt93
12-28-09, 02:04 AM
These sort of things can be hard 2 trace. also gets expensive if You simply try changing things to eliminate a fault. a garage will be best bet a they can often run an engine under load on a road roller ( tuning shop for example) and find fault much easier and often quicker and cheaper.

Gary Wells
12-28-09, 09:07 AM
Welcome to the forum.
Not a bad suggestion, but a shop / garage / tuning shop would be very cost prohibitive at this point as they charge by hour or by dyno pulls, one would have to purchase each one of the units verified / assessed. these units vary in cost from $250 to about $500 depending upon which unit you purchase and how complete the unit is. Dollar for dollar, I think that you will have a hard time beating the factory box with the lower section removed. If money were no object, it would definitely be a different story. the D3 unit is a very attractive unit, appears to be exceptionally well designed & carried out. HTH

Gary Wells
12-28-09, 09:20 AM
Tony,

My first mod was a D3 intake. I noticed way more supercharger whine but thats about it.

I just installed some headers and midpipes and that really woke it up. Hopefully that helps.

Did you have to do a tune after the header installation?
How much RWHP & RWtQ did you get after the headers & mid-pipes & what brand of headers & mid-pipes did you use?
No SES light?

Gotham CTS-V
12-28-09, 09:47 AM
The W4M intake makes the supercharger whine much more pronounced. I have the boost turned up a bit but I'm sure even with a stock pulley it would be a lot louder. It's loud enough that people in other cars can hear the supercharger screaming. Everyone comments on it. Also, everyone also says from the outside you can hear the engine roar. From the inside, all I hear is whine. The motor might sound a bit louder, but this is probably because I removed all the covers in the engine bay.

Gary Wells
12-28-09, 11:39 AM
The W4M intake makes the supercharger whine much more pronounced. I have the boost turned up a bit but I'm sure even with a stock pulley it would be a lot louder. It's loud enough that people in other cars can hear the supercharger screaming. Everyone comments on it. Also, everyone also says from the outside you can hear the engine roar. From the inside, all I hear is whine. The motor might sound a bit louder, but this is probably because I removed all the covers in the engine bay.
Gotham:
What all are you running in the way of performance mods?

Tony407
12-28-09, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the input regarding my original topic!! LOL What's with all the off-topic chatter everyone? :thepan:

So far, I have a couple of you that say that increased engine noise is negligible inside the cabin with a CAI. How disappointing. Louder supercharger whine, while inviting, is still not my main goal however.

I myself removed the engine covers and did not notice any increased engine sounds inside the car, although I really wasn't paying attention. I suppose I could remove the weather stripping, but this really doesn't appeal to me although maybe I should give it a try.

And then of course there's the removal of the bottom of the stock air box. Sounds (literally) like this does about as much as an actual CAI without actually having a CAI.

Tony

Gotham CTS-V
12-28-09, 12:05 PM
Gotham:
What all are you running in the way of performance mods?

Basic 9.5" pulley kit from Jesse. No exhaust work done at all.

Everyone from outside the car says it sounds REALLY mean and that the supercharger whine is deafening. I'm sure some headers and mufflers would really make it sound like an animal, but I want to retain the luxury appeal and not piss off the wifey lol.

Doct
12-28-09, 04:43 PM
Did you have to do a tune after the header installation?
How much RWHP & RWtQ did you get after the headers & mid-pipes & what brand of headers & mid-pipes did you use?
No SES light?

Gary,

I just recieved my tune and will be loading it up and heading to the dyno so no numbers yet but hopefully shortly.

I purchased the kooks headers and midpipe and welded them to the factory mufflers. I drove the car from a relatives shop where I used the lift and no ses lights and that is with factory calibration. Mind you I didn't floor the car because I also installed a lower pulley.

Kooks headers went in really nice and fit great! You have to remove the steering shaft but that was the worst of it. The mid-pipe on the other hand didn't fit so well. I had to heat both pipes that mate to the headers up and pull them both out about 1/2 and inch per side. Also would have like to see the o2 extensions supplied to be a bit longer, they were a tight fit. Once that was done the rest of the system went on great!

clubracer6
12-29-09, 11:45 AM
Ya, I'd like to drown out the whine and increase the roar. With such similar engines, you'd think we could get a ZR1 sound out of that CTS-V.
That's my goal. Who can tell me how to do this? (besides by a ZR1 which I can assure you, I can't afford.)

+1 on getting more sound, but not more whine!

09V
12-31-09, 12:25 AM
Consider an exhaust to achieve your goals. The Kooks exhaust by itself would be pretty nice and only a little more costly than most of the intakes available. The intakes are going to create the wrong kind of noise it sounds like- no pun intended.

Htown09
01-19-10, 04:26 PM

Take your V to fastlane in Houston and have them do the exhaust mod.

Gotham CTS-V
01-19-10, 04:38 PM
Take your V to fastlane in Houston and have them do the exhaust mod.

What is the "exhaust mod?"

Is it just a new exhaust or is there some kind of trick?

Maybe just cutting out the resonators would make a nice difference? I have done this on 2 cars and it made it a bit deeper and louder; nothing crazy at all but noticeable to my ears. Not sure as I haven't looked at the V's exhaust and the resonators might not do anything anyway.

Htown09
01-19-10, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure exactly what they do, but they modify the stock exhaust for more power. I am assuming the replace some of the stock piping since the stock piping is very restrictive.

dvandentop
01-19-10, 09:45 PM
i need some more supercharger noise i can only hear it from like 2500-3k :(

Dr.Buzz
01-20-10, 06:51 AM
To hear more engine noise "roar" you will need to do exhaust. There are several options out there so this is definitely a preference thing. To hear more supercharger remove covers, and add pulley.

Gotham CTS-V
01-20-10, 08:00 AM
i need some more supercharger noise i can only hear it from like 2500-3k :(

A cold air intake (cone-type intake) and a pulley kit to raise boost will do the trick. I can hear the sc at any rpm's with some throttle application.

Tony407
01-20-10, 02:58 PM
A cold air intake (cone-type intake) and a pulley kit to raise boost will do the trick. I can hear the sc at any rpm's with some throttle application.

I'm not sure about the pulley, but I started a "Does a CAI increase in-cabin engine noise?" thread a few weeks ago and was surprised that everyone said it DIDN'T.

Tony

Gotham CTS-V
01-20-10, 03:18 PM
All I know is that I have the 9.5 pulley and CAI and the supercharger SCREAMS.

zr1vet
01-20-10, 05:23 PM
^+1

I removed the bottom of the air box and I think the SC sound was a little more noticeable. Then I got a WFM full CAI and 9.5 pulley. Now my wife asks, "did you make her scream?" when I get back from a V ride.

mpouls1
01-20-10, 05:56 PM
I just hack sawed the tips of my exhaust pipes off and welded some Folgers cans there. Plenty of roar now. Even has nice puffs of smoke too.

Gotham CTS-V
01-21-10, 08:23 AM
I just hack sawed the tips of my exhaust pipes off and welded some Folgers cans there. Plenty of roar now. Even has nice puffs of smoke too.

You're late to the party bro. The Honda guys have been employing this secret for years