: swap entire cradle from another car??

cl1986
12-26-09, 10:55 AM
I have a question. I know you have to replace an Y engine with a Y engine and the same with the transmission.

But can you swap a 95 sts engine trans cradle, computer into a 94 sls?

or are they not compatible? computer wont plug in?

Krashed989
12-26-09, 02:42 PM
But can you swap a 95 sts engine trans cradle, computer into a 94 sls?

Yes you can... My 94 eldo (vin Y) currently has the engine/trans/PCM from a VIN 9, 1994 STS in it. It's works perfectly.

The only differences between the 94 and 95 are with the intake manifold... In 95 the intake manifold was redesigned to give a better air/fuel mixture. Both the 94 and 95 intake manifolds are interchangeable, so there won't be a problem there. I would use the 95 intake though simply because it would give you a couple more mpg.

cl1986
12-26-09, 10:02 PM
so other than the usual pull engine and reinstall......the computer will be ok? Nothing to do with maybe body differences or anything? Are there body connectors that go into the computer as well or are those different computers?

Almost like plug and play then? If so i think i will go that route and use this tranny for my eldo.....

Thanks!!

cl1986
12-27-09, 09:00 PM
oh ok i see....just replaced the heater core i broke.....nice factory plastic tank idea there, replacement was all alluminum.

anyhow ya it looks like the PCM only has wiring in the engine bay, and obviously gets power from the fuse block....

So I am understanding this right, it IS just plug and play and drive away!

Krashed989
12-28-09, 01:36 AM
So I am understanding this right, it IS just plug and play and drive away!

Yup, that's right. :)

ponyboyt
12-28-09, 02:05 PM
what about the rest of the body controls. Still have to plug in wheel speed sensors, A/C, the plug that goes through the firewall, BCM, lights, are the plugs the same?

Here's a good one:

Will the cradle from my 98 Concours bolt into my 97 STS? All the suspension is the same. I can either do the whol cradle or swap everything one piece at a time.......

cl1986
12-28-09, 06:56 PM
well from what i have seen now, that i took out the glove box and saw the PCM, only the engine and trans harnesses go into the pcm (from what i can tell)

The ac is part of the engine harness, not sure on wheel sensors, but it looked like those go to a diff computer?

Krashed989
12-29-09, 12:23 AM
it's easier to get at the PCM and its wiring if you take out the under-dash panel. Don't forget to disconnect the vacuum line and the big black harness connector where the engine harness meets the dashboard harness.

As for the 98 concourse cradle bolting into the 97 STS... It should work. It really depends on a few things such as the routing of the brake lines, and whether or not your alternator is watercooled. The PCM on those years is underneath the air filter box. The engine, transmission and PCM are the same (should be plug and play); however, the engine wiring harness may be different. Even though the PCM is under the air filter box, the engine harness still has to connect into the dashboard wiring harness, so you'll have to disconnect that as well as the vacuum line VIA the under-dash panel.

ponyboyt
12-29-09, 09:42 AM
from looking last night, we started disconnecting the wiring on the concours, today the cradle is getting dropped and the car will be done. There is an extra plug on my wiring harness where the emissions plugs come out on my 97. The plug simply is not there on the 98 concours. It's little things like this that will make or break the swap i guess. Different year cars, hell, different locations..... the Concours is a US car, the STS is a Canadian car. Emissions may be different. I also have a 94 STS thats looking for an engine swap, and maybe now a 2000. (im not sure i wanna deal with a 2000....)

Krashed989
12-29-09, 04:03 PM
The engine/trans/PCM should be plug and play if you want to do the work of only swapping those.