: real test for the sottozeros

dvandentop
12-25-09, 09:47 PM
Dont have my car yet but think it could make it through here LOL!

we got frigen pounded with 15 inches of wet heavy snow, i swear all the crap blew in my driveway :thepan::thepan::thepan:

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu177/AmyLynne2009/Christmas2009005.jpg

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu177/AmyLynne2009/Christmas2009004.jpg

V-Eight
12-25-09, 09:52 PM
At least you've got a Duramax if you get stuck

neuronbob
12-25-09, 10:53 PM
Yeah....I don't think a V would get anywhere in that unless someone grafted a plow onto its front.

caddiedrummer
12-25-09, 11:08 PM
Sottos are good but this is my 2nd winter in the V and it stays parked in snow--too darn low to the ground. We have been using the wife's Escalade for a week. FINALLY starting to melt in Va. Good luck, and have fun with your new V.

dg144
12-26-09, 01:38 AM
derek, put a blade on your Z and make a path for the V no problem!
merry christmas

dvandentop
12-26-09, 02:40 AM
yeah about 5 hours of snowblowing today and the driveway full size is finally clear, damn blow blocked us in pretty good after he went by again

15.4 inches in 1 day will do that

CoOlSlY
12-26-09, 11:00 AM
Let us know if you decide to try the tires, i'm wondering how they perform :)

Karch
12-26-09, 02:31 PM
Wow...I thought it was tough playing golf yesterday, as I had a half hour delay due to frost.

Country
12-27-09, 01:49 AM
I've had my Sottozeros for about a month now and I absolutely love them. This is my third V and it is the first time I am going out in the cold, snow, and ice without fear. I used to slide around like a sled afraid whenever it was snowing. Today we got four inches and I plowed through with no problem. In fact, compared to previous years, they are so good that I sometimes forget I'm driving through snow! That's how confident I now am. Highly recommended.

matia
12-29-09, 03:21 PM
I agree with the last post, picked up my car for the first time and drove through a major storm in Buffalo...NO PROBLEM. The Sottozero's performed amazingly. I absolutely love them.

IRONDOG
12-29-09, 08:33 PM
I've had my Sottozeros for about a month now and I absolutely love them. This is my third V and it is the first time I am going out in the cold, snow, and ice without fear. I used to slide around like a sled afraid whenever it was snowing. Today we got four inches and I plowed through with no problem. In fact, compared to previous years, they are so good that I sometimes forget I'm driving through snow! That's how confident I now am. Highly recommended.

I may buy four of them. Are you experiencing any road noise issues?

poor-sha
12-29-09, 08:54 PM
First, congrats on taking the punge Derek - I didn't know you'd pulled the trigger on one yet. We got hit with 19" here in NoVA last week but my V has stayed parked until today when I took it to the dealer (power steering pump is being replaced).

I'm really debating whether to just drive the dually when snow is in the forecast as we don't get that much snow around here (usually). It seems like everytime I buy a set of snow tires they're only needed like 2 days a year and I typically sell the car after a year. I keep telling myself I'm going to keep the V a long time so maybe for next Winter...

neuronbob
12-29-09, 09:02 PM
I may buy four of them. Are you experiencing any road noise issues?

With 1400 miles since install, these guys are amazingly quiet for winter tires.

Talk to me again at the end of March when I've got nearly 6000 miles on them. ;)

jvp
12-30-09, 09:26 AM
I'm really debating whether to just drive the dually when snow is in the forecast as we don't get that much snow around here (usually). It seems like everytime I buy a set of snow tires they're only needed like 2 days a year and I typically sell the car after a year.

I can guarantee that Virginia will NEVER get another flake of snow if I just go buy a set of snow tires for my V.

But I love snow too much, so I'm not going to do that. :-)

jas

dvandentop
12-30-09, 11:15 AM
i just got a set of 255 for all the way around so will give them a good test.

the price was right so even if i have issues with 255 all the way around i will have 2 up front spares.

yeah for you guys who rarely see snow it is a hard chunk of $ to cough up

jvp
12-30-09, 11:43 AM
yeah for you guys who rarely see snow it is a hard chunk of $ to cough up

Mike is fond of (correctly) pointing out that driving the car on the PS2s, in temps below 40 or so, even in the dry, can be hair-raising. They just don't get warm enough to grip as well in the cooler weather. So for that reason, it might also be beneficial to have a 2nd set of tires.

That all said, I've been driving the car in the "cold" now that our roads are clear. I've not found grip to be too troublesome until I hit a patch of ice. I just take it easy while I drive. :-)

jas

cbloveday
12-30-09, 01:42 PM
Bought my sottos without blinking an eye here in Chicago. It was a no brainer.
I will not, and I repeat not, risk my family, life or my V, running summer tires in the winter.
The cost of these tires vs not being able to stop or get out of the way of a potential accident was a required investment.
Also, ever consider the ramifications of getting in a questionable accident only for the police or the insurance company to find out you were running high performance summer tires in the snow?

Prof
12-30-09, 01:57 PM
Love my stock sized Sotto's. Lots of traction, in lots of snow.

jvp
12-30-09, 02:06 PM
Also, ever consider the ramifications of getting in a questionable accident only for the police or the insurance company to find out you were running high performance summer tires in the snow?

Well, given there's no law requiring snow tires, or more accurately, requiring that you do NOT use summer tires in snow, there's nothing that can be held against you in court. Period. End of story. It's really that simple.

However, running summer tires in snow is just plain dumb from a safety perspective. And I, for one, was not suggesting anyone do anything like that. My post was simply pointing out that while the PS2's cold weather performance is degraded significantly, I've been able to use them on dry roads.

When the snow falls, I break out the GMC 2500. Simple as that.

jas

poor-sha
12-31-09, 03:21 PM
Well my car was at the dealer longer than expected but of course needed to be picked up the morning after another light snow. My gravel road has a coating of packed snow again and getting the V home was most definitely white-knuckled. I stopped to fill up the tank so that I'd have max weight over the drive wheels and almost slid in to the gas pump. Then on my road I had to back up and make a second attempt up one of the hills after not being able to make it on the first attempt. I was already running through the call to my wife in my head:

"Can you come bring the truck - I'm stuck a 1/2 mile from the house"
"Don't forget the tow strap"
"...and some sand"
"..oh, and I might need a shovel"
"Do you want to pull with the truck or drive the caddy?"

I'm sold - I just placed my order for the snow tires - maybe I can get a deal from the tirevan guy to mount both my snow tires and my Hoosiers on the same visit :)

dvandentop
12-31-09, 07:00 PM
good lord making my way home only about 60 miles now and stopped at local harbor freight store since we dont have one in my town and there was just a frost/ slush and could barely get going. thought i was going to get stuck going up a hill be their mall.

good thing i have some on the way and hopefully be here monday or tuesday

//ZZ//
12-31-09, 07:17 PM
I've been using the Sottozeros this winter and am very impressed.
No trouble driving in 4 inches snow, ice/snow roads. No trouble getting up my hills and drive when a couple front wheel drive cars could not make it up our drive.
No significant road noise with around 3000 miles on them (but I tend to have the music loud so I may just not notice).
I drive my 4x4 though if we are expecting more than 6 inches of snow. Not sure how much of a problem it would be, but as mentioned the car sits pretty low and I do not wish to take the chance.