Cadillac Owners Forum banner

DIY: How to add the platinum heated/cooled cupholders to your 03-06 Escalades and EXT

54K views 98 replies 41 participants last post by  Caddyshack EXT 
#1 ·
I bought the heated/cooled cup holders from a 05 Platinum off eBay for $122. The swap is very easy and straight forward. I did not have to trim or cut anything to get it to fit in my EXT. There are only three wires - constant 12+, ignition 12+, and a ground -.

First remove the front radio pop panel (pops out). Remove the front cd changer panel + the cup holder. These panels just pop out, no screws. Remove the 2 screws the hold in the CD changer. You need to move it out of the way, no need to unplug any wires. You will also have to take off the center console lid (phillips screws).

You'll find a whole bunch of business cards and bank receipts you've lost.

Get a BBQ lighter and melt the tabs. 10-15 seconds got them soft enough to lift. (the one on the right is melted open)

Door lids screw off with 9/32 socket.

Final result (03-04 wood grain swapped)

Connect the red to +, blue to ignition +, and black to ground. Put fuses on the 2 + lines. Tap the + wires off the ignition (more usable amps). Dont start hacking the amp or cigarette lighter wires because they make not provide enough amps for both to function.

The heated/cooled plates actually work! They get REALLY cold and REALLY hot. Not really enough to burn you, but def enough to keep your coffee hot.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
I got mine yesterday, plan on installing them tonight!!! (Yes, Christmas night at 10pm)
I tested mine, and they both cool and heat fine...

Looks like mine is missing the flaps on the rear of the cupholder though... and maybe the buttons or something in front of the cupholder? Maybe little rubber bumps for the lids?

Lux, what are those? are they buttons or something?

#7 ·
hey!!! i have had trouble getting you a message...i dont know why!!!...i will take the cup holder!!! thanks!!!!
....and the little rect bumpers if you will part with them also!!!
let me know about the paypal, get back with me thru the PM and we will get this to be a done deal!!!

thanks again,
tim

#9 · (Edited)
email me.. nathanandkatiec@gmail.com

DONE!!! It took 1 hour, start to finish...

Couple pieces of info I think I should share...

I have had 5-6 years of experience doing car stereo installation and other misc fabrications... This is NOT for the faint of heart. If your not ready for a BIG challenge, don't do this yourself. You your not ready to go purchase a new center console piece because you might mess it up, don't do this yourself. Take your time, DON'T CATCH ANY PART OF YOUR CUP HOLDERS ON FIRE. Take it slow. Remember were you took your screws out. Remember how your springs went back in. Take plenty of pictures. Not only did I bend my tabs back in by heating them up, I epoxied them as well to make sure it holds.

What Lux doesn't explain above in detail is taking both lids out of each. They are a pain if you don't know how/were the springs came out and how to put it back together. You also have to take apart the heated/cooled part to get the door apart...

I took the chrome pieces off the doors and put them on my lids as well. If you try to do this be careful as you will need to break the tabs that are underneath and epoxy them to your current lids.

If your going to do this, please, please, and please take your time and be careful

#11 ·
Nathanjax,

You are missing the rubber bump stops and the spring loaded fingers to hold the cup against the plate. The rubber bumpers are the SAME as your stock cup holders so simply pull them out and push them in the new one. I have 1 left over if you need it (mine only came with 1 on eBay). Also the finger things are going to be VERY hard to find! Mine only came with one stock one and a makeshift piece of metal. It seems these are very easy to lose because any tight drink (vitamin water) which basically just fits in there..... when removed, the fingers pop out with the drink. But you definitely need them because soda cans and coffee will not touch the hot/cold plates without em.

#30 ·
It's probably getting ready to explode! You need to get rid of it immediately. Send it to me and I'll take care of making sure it's used... I mean disposed of properly.:thumbsup:

More seriously, since the whole unit is fairly easy to remove, you probably would be able to remove it and look around under it for anything that looks funny and go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.