: Hard Drive Compatibility

sirjames
12-23-09, 05:36 PM
I just picked up a new addition to my family. Drove from San Antonio to Denver and I love it. Much much better than my '05. Here are some pics. I'm sure this link will die soon, but if you talk to Batchelor Cadillac in San Antonio, I'm sure they can find some more.

http://www.kbcad.com/web/vehicle/476005/2009-Cadillac-CTS-V--San%20Antonio-TX?condition_id=10426&s_body=All_body_types&s_makes=Cadillac&s_model=All_models&s_year=All_years

I had looked all over the internet including Superior Cad, but simply could not find the right car (manual) witht he right price (<$55K). Batchelor did it for me at $53,000 out the door. Thanks Ken Batchelor Cadillac.

Does anyone know a hard drive (portable) that I can simply copy my music to that the CTS-V will recognize and play music off of?

Thanks! Jim

dvandentop
12-23-09, 05:45 PM
Saw that one on ebay very nice ride and a great price!

mik2718
12-23-09, 06:30 PM
Is there a compelling reason to use a portable hard drive, rather than a thumb drive (4GB, 8GB, whatever)? How much music do you have?

Gary Wells
12-23-09, 07:09 PM
The threads on here pretty much cover it all. HTH

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1402763

thebigjimsho
12-24-09, 02:40 AM
I just picked up a new addition to my family. Drove from San Antonio to Denver and I love it. Much much better than my '05. Here are some pics. I'm sure this link will die soon, but if you talk to Batchelor Cadillac in San Antonio, I'm sure they can find some more.

http://www.kbcad.com/web/vehicle/476005/2009-Cadillac-CTS-V--San%20Antonio-TX?condition_id=10426&s_body=All_body_types&s_makes=Cadillac&s_model=All_models&s_year=All_years

I had looked all over the internet including Superior Cad, but simply could not find the right car (manual) witht he right price (<$55K). Batchelor did it for me at $53,000 out the door. Thanks Ken Batchelor Cadillac.

Does anyone know a hard drive (portable) that I can simply copy my music to that the CTS-V will recognize and play music off of?

Thanks! JimWell, I beat you on the miles home from Batchelor, but I think you beat me on the price. I imagine yours was used and not a demo? How else was it optioned? Not to be a snoop, but I had to beg and claw to get them to drop about $2500. Still waiting for my missing owners manual, too...

sirjames
12-24-09, 01:27 PM
Mine was used with ~3500 miles, but there was not a scratch on it. I was shopping for only used units to get the price I wanted. The prices on the '09s dropped a bit once the '10 became available. I found it difficult to find a manual trans on a used '09.

I believe the car has just about everything with exception to Recaros, and block heater & washer heater, something we could use here today in Denver.

It has NAV full panoramic roof, polished wheels, etc. I really don't know anything else that it's missing... I did notice that it does not have the faux suede steering wheel or shifter cover. I read about the suede in the magazines and thought to myself "I'm not sure I would want that with my greasey palms!"

Anyways, I can't drive it for a while with the snow here. Waiting anxiously for spring...

sirjames
12-24-09, 01:30 PM
BTW, I want to hook up a hard drive with min 40GB for my collection. Can I simply copy the files out my iTunes location onto a HD and have the V recognize it? How do the thumb drives work for you?

jwa999
12-24-09, 01:53 PM
BTW, I want to hook up a hard drive with min 40GB for my collection. Can I simply copy the files out my iTunes location onto a HD and have the V recognize it? How do the thumb drives work for you?

Caddy won't support 40gigs. Max is around 3500-4000 songs. My suggestion is get a couple of 16gig thumb drives. I have a 32gig thumb drive and it won't see all the music on it. A HD has higher power requirements and does not work very well.

Hans.

thebigjimsho
12-24-09, 03:37 PM
Thumb drives seem to be the way to go. Just keep 3 or 4 and categorize them...or just get an iPod...

thebigjimsho
12-24-09, 03:39 PM
Mine was used with ~3500 miles, but there was not a scratch on it. I was shopping for only used units to get the price I wanted. The prices on the '09s dropped a bit once the '10 became available. I found it difficult to find a manual trans on a used '09.

I believe the car has just about everything with exception to Recaros, and block heater & washer heater, something we could use here today in Denver.

It has NAV full panoramic roof, polished wheels, etc. I really don't know anything else that it's missing... I did notice that it does not have the faux suede steering wheel or shifter cover. I read about the suede in the magazines and thought to myself "I'm not sure I would want that with my greasey palms!"

Anyways, I can't drive it for a while with the snow here. Waiting anxiously for spring...
Yeah, I've got Recaros and the swayde wheel and knob. But I got mine over Thanksgiving weekend and it was a demo so I got the 0% which will save over the course of the loan...

sirjames
12-25-09, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all your feedback. I think I'll just pick up some thumb drives and categorize them as suggested. On my trip home, the Caddy had some problems cummunicating with my iPod and doesn't even support the iPhone. I was looking to get rid of the iPod interface issues if the V can just recognize songs on a HDD, then you eliminate the "middle ware" of the iPod. Apple is always upgrading the firmware and will probably upgrade itself out of compatibility the V at some point.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks again for the help! If I see you on the road, I'll be the guy waving at you.

Jim

jeffnjen
12-25-09, 01:51 PM
you bastard, you stole that from me..... i couldnt sleep all weekend wanting that car, when i called bright and early monday morning they were in the process of selling it to you!!! so they offered me a new 2009 they expected in on wed 12/23/09. i bought it, its a 2009 from batchelor i will get it saturday..... leonard is my salesman :). everything i wanted except its a automatic :(
i almost forgot, and yours was certified too .... good snag

jeffnjen
12-25-09, 01:57 PM
with that being said, im getting the 2009 black/black automatic, everything except polished wheels, and suede wheel $59558, did i do ok????

GMX322V S/C
12-25-09, 02:07 PM
Thanks for all your feedback. I think I'll just pick up some thumb drives and categorize them as suggested. On my trip home, the Caddy had some problems cummunicating with my iPod and doesn't even support the iPhone. I was looking to get rid of the iPod interface issues if the V can just recognize songs on a HDD, then you eliminate the "middle ware" of the iPod. Apple is always upgrading the firmware and will probably upgrade itself out of compatibility the V at some point.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks again for the help! If I see you on the road, I'll be the guy waving at you.

JimWhile it complains that the "accessory" isn't supported, the iPhone iPod app works fine. You may need a new cable (OEM part) if you have a 3GS though.

thebigjimsho
12-25-09, 04:58 PM
you bastard, you stole that from me..... i couldnt sleep all weekend wanting that car, when i called bright and early monday morning they were in the process of selling it to you!!! so they offered me a new 2009 they expected in on wed 12/23/09. i bought it, its a 2009 from batchelor i will get it saturday..... leonard is my salesman :). everything i wanted except its a automatic :(
i almost forgot, and yours was certified too .... good snag
Leonard picked me up at the airport. We had some colorful emails in negotiations, but all is good...

Make sure you tell them the guy with the '09 V demo from Massachusetts said "Hi", OK?

JFJr
12-26-09, 11:51 AM
My suggestion is get a couple of 16gig thumb drives. I have a 32gig thumb drive and it won't see all the music on it. A HD has higher power requirements and does not work very well.

Hans.I have a 16 gig thumb drive and the system doesn't recognize/play all of the songs on it either. I don't know if it is the file formats of the songs or the high capacity of the thumb drive. Songs downloaded from iTunes and copied on the thumb drive seem to be the ones not recognized.

4gear70
12-26-09, 02:19 PM
I have a 16 gig thumb drive and the system doesn't recognize/play all of the songs on it either. I don't know if it is the file formats of the songs or the high capacity of the thumb drive. Songs downloaded from iTunes and copied on the thumb drive seem to be the ones not recognized.

That sounds more like a DRM issue rather than a compatibiltiy issue.

sirjames
12-26-09, 04:01 PM
Jeff,

I bought the car the week before but scheduling only allowed me to pick it up that Monday. Sorry Dude.

BTW, I never got picked up from the airport!!!!

thebigjimsho
12-26-09, 07:04 PM
Jeff,

I bought the car the week before but scheduling only allowed me to pick it up that Monday. Sorry Dude.

BTW, I never got picked up from the airport!!!!
Uh-oh...

JFJr
01-01-10, 11:38 AM
That sounds more like a DRM issue rather than a compatibiltiy issue.I'm not a full-fledged computer jock, so what is "DRM" and how can I get the car system to play all my songs on the thumb drive?

4gear70
01-01-10, 02:39 PM
I'm not a full-fledged computer jock, so what is "DRM" and how can I get the car system to play all my songs on the thumb drive?

Digital Rights Management:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

Based on what you've said that it's only the iTunes songs that you can't seem to see. It could also be the format of the song though.
Do you have all the songs in a *.mp3 format? I'm not 100% sure, but my understanding is that iTunes purchased songs are in a m4p format. I have not purchased from iTunes as I rip my own CD's to mp3 format.

JFJr
01-01-10, 04:16 PM
Digital Rights Management:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

Based on what you've said that it's only the iTunes songs that you can't seem to see. It could also be the format of the song though.
Do you have all the songs in a *.mp3 format? I'm not 100% sure, but my understanding is that iTunes purchased songs are in a m4p format. I have not purchased from iTunes as I rip my own CD's to mp3 format.Thanks for your help. They appear to be MPEG-4 (protected) files. Could they be saved as MP3 files and solve the problem?

4gear70
01-01-10, 05:11 PM
Thanks for your help. They appear to be MPEG-4 (protected) files. Could they be saved as MP3 files and solve the problem?

There are converters on the internet. Some are even free. I've never used them before so I can't say how well they will work especially when it comes to protected content. Just do a google search for 'convert m4p to mp3'.
Hope this helps.

GMX322V S/C
01-01-10, 06:22 PM
Thanks for your help. They appear to be MPEG-4 (protected) files. Could they be saved as MP3 files and solve the problem?A roundabout way to do it would be to burn them to a CD (real or virtual CD, which would convert them to .wav format) and then rip that back to mp3. The easiest way might be to pay the difference and upgrade each song to the "iTunes+" format (like $0.30/ea typically) which removes the copy protection; then change the output format in iTunes to mp3 and then right-click each song (or group of songs) and convert them to mp3 right in iTunes.

thebigjimsho
01-01-10, 07:21 PM
Well, I beat you on the miles home from Batchelor, but I think you beat me on the price. I imagine yours was used and not a demo? How else was it optioned? Not to be a snoop, but I had to beg and claw to get them to drop about $2500. Still waiting for my missing owners manual, too...
Got my owners manual this week, so my sale is fully finalized and I am happy...

sirjames
01-01-10, 08:46 PM
Thanks for your help. They appear to be MPEG-4 (protected) files. Could they be saved as MP3 files and solve the problem?

Caddy manual says AAC compatilibity. Thats is what iTunes is... BTW, mine recognizes "some" of the songs from the same album, but some it does not. Very odd.

JFJr
01-02-10, 10:18 AM
Thanks for everyone's help on the iTunes issue. For now I'll just hook up my Nano to the car's system. It may be my last Apple product because of Apple's mindless/selfish proprietary approach to its products.