: What other exhaust choices are there?

Cub Cadet
12-23-09, 11:08 AM
Has anyone seen anything else available from places like Stainless Works, Bassani, or Magnaflow? I hate the sound of the Corsa and would never buy one.

demorgan59
12-23-09, 11:44 AM
There is one coming from B&B Exhaust that supposedly will sound deeper and smoother than the other offerings and yet have very little drone. I don't have much more information than that. You should call them and ask for Mike Boat and he can fill you in.

Gary Wells
12-23-09, 12:06 PM
Are you considering a complete exhaust system or only the muffs such as an axle-back system? I am planning on running Kooks headers with cats & x-crossing all the way back into the stock muffs.

Cub Cadet
12-23-09, 12:57 PM
I was looking for an axle back version to start with. The rest will come later. The 6.2L engine is hard to make sound very good. I know that I searched all over the place trying to find a suitable exhaust for my 6.0L Trailblazer SS and Stainless Works made the only cat back that sounded decent. Plus, it has zero drone at any speed. I really like the sound of it.
On my F150 Lightning, it has the 5.4L supercharged engine and it currently has Magnaflow magnapacks on it and sounds good... not as nice as a Bassani, but was much less. The Bassani sounds the best on the Lightnings.

Montag84
12-23-09, 03:19 PM
The 6.2L engine is hard to make sound very good.

How do you mean?

GM-4-LIFE
12-23-09, 05:58 PM
I called Borla and they wanted to use my car for R&D on the system. I told them they could use it if they wanted to. They are supposed to call me.

If Borla doesn't make one, I will go with the Corsa touring system. The sport is way too loud for a Caddy.

SG

way2evil1
12-23-09, 06:26 PM
Put electric cut outs before the mufflers.

Gary Wells
12-23-09, 07:58 PM
I would sure like to hear a sound-clip of your cut-outs. Pictures of the install, too. On a CTS-V, too, & not on a C6ZO6. Maybe you could take some pictures of your install?

way2evil1
12-24-09, 07:47 AM
I would sure like to hear a sound-clip of your cut-outs. Pictures of the install, too. On a CTS-V, too, & not on a C6ZO6. Maybe you could take some pictures of your install?

I'm doing them after I break the car in. I have them on my E63 and it makes the car sound more "muscular." Should sound good on the V.

Gotham CTS-V
12-24-09, 08:23 AM
I'm doing them after I break the car in. I have them on my E63 and it makes the car sound more "muscular." Should sound good on the V.

I did this on my old CLK and it sounded great. Mean and throaty as hell. I have also heard it on Vettes and it is very "muscular." It's great because you can be quiet as a mouse or loud as thunder.

But I think someone was inquiring about these before and we realized that there is no room under the car to install these cutouts without having ground clearance issues (anyone else remember this?). If we could figure out a way, I would be the first to get these cutouts since I want the sound but there are times where I need to be quiet and mature (wifey and family).

Gary Wells
12-24-09, 08:23 AM
Little loud & raucous for me, but I wish you well. I have friends that have them on GN's & other turbo Buicks, and I know that they are popular with the vette set, but I am not too sure that they belong on a Cad CTS-V. I am sure that we would all like to see install pice and hear a sound clip if possible.

Gary Wells
12-24-09, 08:34 AM
There were at least 2 threads regarding this subject that I remember of. I cannot find the other one, but here's one. There are at least several brands of these electric cut-outs. Not to make jest of anybody's "Cool Options list" but most peeps just felt that these just don't belong on a Cad. I concur.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/178837-best-mods-09-cts-v-2.html

Gotham CTS-V
12-24-09, 08:50 AM
Little loud & raucous for me, but I wish you well. I have friends that have them on GN's & other turbo Buicks, and I know that they are popular with the vette set, but I am not too sure that they belong on a Cad CTS-V. I am sure that we would all like to see install pice and hear a sound clip if possible.

I somewhat agree. That is why you can close the valves with the touch of a button. I notice that when I get an exhaust, after a month or so I always desire it to be a bit louder. Then there are times where I wish I had the stock silence as well. That is why I like the cutouts.

I loved the stock muffler setup on the Z06. It had mufflers with a valve that opened over 3000ish RPM's. There was a very cheap and simple mod where you can get a switch put in that opens and closes the valve at your command. I wish the CTS-V had this.

Z06ified
12-24-09, 09:13 AM

E63? Damn, how many performance cars do you have?!? :bonkers:

1-2-N-V
12-24-09, 11:06 AM

Now that is something i was going to consider as a very inexpensive application when you want it to be loud, you can. Any line on an item like these? i know the vettes have this in the muffler. I would like a dump somewhere before the axles would be cool.

Gary Wells
12-24-09, 12:17 PM
I don't think that there will be anything inexpensive about fabricating or getting a good header / muffler shop to fab up something to make any of these cutouts work on a Cad CTS-V set-up.
There is also a hotlink to a previous thread up above in one of my posts you might want to look at.

http://www.buickgn.com/electricexhaustcutout.htm

Vrocks
12-24-09, 12:27 PM
This is an extreme idea, but what about converting to a flat crank? I found a topic in another forum here (http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=139545), where the poster chooses to convert a domestic small block V8 (didn't read enough to see if he chose a GM block).

sirjames
12-24-09, 12:37 PM
I have a friend here in Denver who simply removed the "resonators?" on his '05... It is not really all that loud...

way2evil1
12-24-09, 12:43 PM

They fit right in on the 63, I am sure they would be perfect for the V. This is a video right after I installed them and they sounded like crap. The car only had a few miles on it when I did it so I'm not sure if it was the break in period that made it sound better (Merc places limiters on the car until 3k).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhDFwjomkKE

I really need to get another video up with a better camera, it sounds so much better now.

GMX322V S/C
12-24-09, 03:27 PM
This is an extreme idea, but what about converting to a flat crank? I found a topic in another forum here (http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=139545), where the poster chooses to convert a domestic small block V8 (didn't read enough to see if he chose a GM block).Wow, that is an extreme idea. I would imagine it would require re-engineering everything that has to do with combustion event timing, such as camshaft, ignition, and exhaust. Speaking of the latter, back in the 80s, one of the SoCal speed merchants (I don't recall exactly--might've been Moser) made 4-valve heads and "180-degree" headers for small-block Chevys. The 180-degree headers were wild--primaries from both banks had to be collected into each secondary--packaging on a street car would be, um, challenging, to say the least!

Paschal Performance
12-27-09, 11:09 AM
Kooks is going to have mufflers available soon. I will try and keep everyone posted. I do offer 10% discount with free shipping within 48 states to Forum members.

Karch
12-27-09, 12:27 PM
Wow, that is an extreme idea. I would imagine it would require re-engineering everything that has to do with combustion event timing, such as camshaft, ignition, and exhaust. Speaking of the latter, back in the 80s, one of the SoCal speed merchants (I don't recall exactly--might've been Moser) made 4-valve heads and "180-degree" headers for small-block Chevys. The 180-degree headers were wild--primaries from both banks had to be collected into each secondary--packaging on a street car would be, um, challenging, to say the least!

I think it was Arao Engineering in Chatsworth, but I don't think it proved out too well (not positive though).

Gotham CTS-V
12-28-09, 10:14 AM
Now that is something i was going to consider as a very inexpensive application when you want it to be loud, you can. Any line on an item like these? i know the vettes have this in the muffler. I would like a dump somewhere before the axles would be cool.

I believe the company name is QTP. A lot of guys I know who have Mistubishi Evo's have these on their cars. It increases performance and of course, sound. I liked it on my Mercedes. Worked great.

The thing with our cars is, we need to find a good spot to have these things installed. You can't have it hanging out low or it will scrape and get damaged. Anybody look underneath and find a good spot to mount the cutouts?

vett1002
03-10-10, 12:07 PM
i have B&B on mine and it sounds amazing not too loud but noticeably louder than the stock but when you get on it, its real niice

1-2-N-V
03-10-10, 01:45 PM
I believe the company name is QTP. A lot of guys I know who have Mistubishi Evo's have these on their cars. It increases performance and of course, sound. I liked it on my Mercedes. Worked great.

The thing with our cars is, we need to find a good spot to have these things installed. You can't have it hanging out low or it will scrape and get damaged. Anybody look underneath and find a good spot to mount the cutouts?

Yeah what he said. Anyone have these cut outs mounted and where could we put them? I also like the sound of those Mac Performance mufflers that someone had. i did email the co. and they never got back to me on the pricing. Hey can anyone definitively tell me how to do a proper search on this forum to find S**T that i know has been talked about in the past. Hate to repost. TIA

Karch
03-10-10, 07:46 PM
Yeah what he said. Anyone have these cut outs mounted and where could we put them? I also like the sound of those Mac Performance mufflers that someone had. i did email the co. and they never got back to me on the pricing. Hey can anyone definitively tell me how to do a proper search on this forum to find S**T that i know has been talked about in the past. Hate to repost. TIA

Use Google, and learn to use " " and AND, OR, *, and -
" " for use in exact phrase
AND in addition to
OR either one or the other
* for use like the following CTS* which would give you CTS and CTS-v
- to exclude something CTS* -ultra if you want to search for a car less ultraview, unless, of course, they call it a moonroof or sunroof.

Nutz
03-10-10, 10:16 PM
Yeah what he said. Anyone have these cut outs mounted and where could we put them? I also like the sound of those Mac Performance mufflers that someone had. i did email the co. and they never got back to me on the pricing. Hey can anyone definitively tell me how to do a proper search on this forum to find S**T that i know has been talked about in the past. Hate to repost. TIAYou mean this? ;)
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/189486-nutzs-dyno-exhaust-thread.html

RemoWilliams
03-11-10, 12:41 PM
i have B&B on mine and it sounds amazing not too loud but noticeably louder than the stock but when you get on it, its real niice

Really? I didn't think B&B had exhaust out for the V2. I think that's what I would want as well. Sounded great on the V1.

Do you have any sound pics on V2?

vett1002
03-24-10, 11:22 AM
Really? I didn't think B&B had exhaust out for the V2. I think that's what I would want as well. Sounded great on the V1.

Do you have any sound pics on V2?

nah i dont have any yet but ill get some soon and post them it sounds great

hunterkiller
03-24-10, 11:44 AM
I called Borla and they wanted to use my car for R&D on the system. I told them they could use it if they wanted to. They are supposed to call me.

If Borla doesn't make one, I will go with the Corsa touring system. The sport is way too loud for a Caddy.

SGI agree the couring is perfect Ps I have the DMH electronic cut outs that have a four year warrenty mounted just before the curve to the rear mufflers and it sound incredible not to mention looks bad ass from the rear of the car. I dont believe anyone else has a warrenty. Henderson performance installed mine without having to spend the extra money on the dump pipe. save your 150.00

1-2-N-V
03-24-10, 11:47 AM
I agree the couring is perfect Ps I have the DMH electronic cut outs that have a four year warrenty mounted just before the curve to the rear mufflers and it sound incredible.

Hey Hunter Who is DMH you got a link? What did they cost you?

Thanks,
Mike

RemoWilliams
03-24-10, 11:50 AM
nah i dont have any yet but ill get some soon and post them it sounds great

Where did you get your B&B exhaust from?

GM-4-LIFE
03-24-10, 11:54 AM

I have liked B&B exhaust systems as well. I had them on my 01 C5, but I felt that the interior resonance was way too much for me and so I switched to another brand.

I will call B&B and get more details on the 09 and up CTS-V exhaust.

By the way guys, Borla is releasing their touring and sport systems very soon.

Shawn

hunterkiller
03-24-10, 11:57 AM
Hey Hunter Who is DMH you got a link? What did they cost you?

Thanks,
MikeThe cost was 320 without the flow tech dump tubing you dont need it mine opens straight out the back at the bend at the rear of the exhaust and looks and sounds awsome. Google DMH performance. The best part is they are warrentied. Let me know how you like them

1-2-N-V
03-24-10, 12:00 PM
Thanks HK i will check them out

hunterkiller
03-24-10, 12:05 PM
I had to put the corsa touring on and the cut outs prior to that I was running straight AMR long tube headers and no cats it was to loud for my neighbors in the morining hours. KNow I cruz out nice and quite until I hit the main roads and then everyone knows Im a coming. I love the looks on peoples faces at the Drag strip and around town. PS, you can still drive semi quiet around the cops or just close the cut out. I have a ton of performance mods 550 rw hp but this is one off the funnest ones. Ps, I dynoed the car with them open and closed with no change in hp or tq.

vett1002
03-24-10, 12:26 PM

i got it right from them about 2 months ago give them a call....

OKC_CTSV
03-24-10, 12:45 PM
I had to put the corsa touring on and the cut outs prior to that I was running straight AMR long tube headers and no cats it was to loud for my neighbors in the morining hours. KNow I cruz out nice and quite until I hit the main roads and then everyone knows Im a coming. I love the looks on peoples faces at the Drag strip and around town. PS, you can still drive semi quiet around the cops or just close the cut out. I have a ton of performance mods 550 rw hp but this is one off the funnest ones. Ps, I dynoed the car with them open and closed with no change in hp or tq.

Do you have any pics of them installed or sound clips?!! Thanks!

RemoWilliams
03-24-10, 12:51 PM
i got it right from them about 2 months ago give them a call....

Do you have a lot of drone in the cabin? Someone was saying there is too much cabin noise with the B&B.

vett1002
03-24-10, 01:14 PM
Do you have a lot of drone in the cabin? Someone was saying there is too much cabin noise with the B&B.

not at all i have borla stingers on my z06 and there is alot of drone there but with the v there is virtually nothing

Paschal Performance
03-25-10, 02:37 PM
Kooks does have a Axle-Back system for 2009 + CTS-V Retail : $866.75 Cad Forum Price : $780.08 Free Shipping in lower 48 State. Call or email for pricing. clifford@paschalperformance.com Ph : 979-865-0231