: Never Again

SDCaddyLacky
12-23-09, 06:15 AM
Well my 94 FWB has been down for the last few days because the water pump started leaking, so I replaced it. While at it, I decided to do a slight tune up by changing the plugs and wires.....but boy oh boy was changing those passenger wires a bitch! Some people here act like it's not that bad, well it is if you have big hands! I swear I spent half a day just replacing all the wires, I can't believe how they are routed, there is hardly any room to work with, and getting each wire through the tiny 1 inch gap is insanely frustrating and almost impossible without having to use a long flathead screw driver to push the damn boots through:cursin:. My hands are all tore up, cut, bruised and really dirty just in time for Christmas:mad2: Not to mention, the last plug on the drivers side is also a pain if the wires are original, since the wire is located in such tight spot behind the exhaust manifold. The boot kept getting stuck between something, until I finally got it out. When replacing that new wire, I just zip tied the damn thing away from the exhaust manifold, it was much easier and possibly will prevent it from getting burnt up in the future, unlike the original design.

Thank god you don't have to replace spark plug wires often, because it would really suck, especially replacing them on these LT1's.

I was shocked to see how bad the old water pump seal was in. It was literally gone! destroyed, some of the bearings were missing, and the shaft was a little wobbly, man if I kept driving the car like that, it would have probably took out the Opti, and cause other significant damage.

So far so good, the car runs great, no more coolant leaks, it didn't have any issue running before, but at least I know that some nice fresh spark plugs and wires will do an engine good.

Oh BTW my front seal has been leaking just a little bit, but after doing this repair job, now the seal is leaking a lot more. there's a small puddle of oil on the ground, when it never leaked that much before. Does anyone know what could of happened? Could coolant leaking into the seal, accelerate seal damage? It's gotten worse today. How hard is it to replace the seal, and if taking it to an auto shop, how much do you guys think it would cost?

Parts used

Napa Tru-Flow Water pump= NEW

Napa Belden Wires- awesome wires

NGK V power spark plugs- always reliable NGK spark plugs at an affordable
price.

Thanks fellow Caddymen:thumbsup:

kevinf
12-23-09, 10:56 AM
HA! I had one day to get a bunch of stuff done on my car, changing the plug wires was one of them. I ran out of time after the driver's side and paid someone to do the remaining 4 on the passenger side. No thanks!

HAZZARDJOHN
12-23-09, 11:42 AM
It is easier to remove the power steering pump and bracket. then it is a breeze. When I had my 95 impala I had that motor apart so many times, I can take the entire belt drive and brackets off in about a half an hour. It think it is a pretty easy job that way.

~HJ

HUF
12-23-09, 12:08 PM
HA! I had one day to get a bunch of stuff done on my car, changing the plug wires was one of them. I ran out of time after the driver's side and paid someone to do the remaining 4 on the passenger side. No thanks!

Probably the job (plugs/wires) is much easier when the car is lifted up with a hoist.

SDCaddyLacky
12-25-09, 01:09 AM
I second that, but of course the majority if DIYer's on are their backs having to work in this cramped LT1. I don't think it's necessary to remove the power steering pump in order to change out and replace the wires on the drivers side. What does help is taking off the AIR pump.

I really don't know how someone would be able to change the plug wires successfully without having to remove the waterpump, unless of course you are willing to take off the accessory bracket, which I probably should of done in the first place.

Well my hands are finally healing, and feel great just in time for Christmas!

Hope everyone has an awesome and Merry Christmas:xgrin:

82CDV
12-25-09, 03:34 PM
RE: Never Again

Reminds me of a name I saw on the back of a boat, "Never Again III". :)

Happy hoildays!

cadillackid1959
12-26-09, 02:09 AM
Here's a helpful tip that I've used:
When replacing the plug wires on the passenger side, use a long piece of welding wire (I just spooled 4 feet off of the Miller Mig), route the piece of wire through the motor mount (factory location) loop the plug wire boot on the end of the welding wire sticking out of the front of the motor (make sure that you "tie" the plug wire onto the welding wire so it can't come off until you take it off) and pull the welding wire on through, thus pulling the plug wire through to where you want it. Little bit of a pain in the butt tying the plug wire onto the welding wire, but not as much of a pain as trying to do it by hand, plus, you can do it while standing next to the car instead of from underneath or by taking a bunch of accessories off...plus, it's pretty quick....Hope I save some knuckles for you guys....Merry Christmas!

HAZZARDJOHN
12-26-09, 04:40 PM
I second that, but of course the majority if DIYer's on are their backs having to work in this cramped LT1. I don't think it's necessary to remove the power steering pump in order to change out and replace the wires on the drivers side. What does help is taking off the AIR pump.

I really don't know how someone would be able to change the plug wires successfully without having to remove the waterpump, unless of course you are willing to take off the accessory bracket, which I probably should of done in the first place.

Well my hands are finally healing, and feel great just in time for Christmas!

Hope everyone has an awesome and Merry Christmas:xgrin:

Seriously, The LT1 is not that cramped in a GM B or D body. Work on an F-body LT1 and then get back to me. Secondly, once you take the accessory drive off a few times you realize it is easy, and saves you a lot of grief. I had to do it so many times on my 95 Impala cause I had a motor that was garbage in it and I bet you I can replace an opti and wires in less than an hour. You usually spend more time trying to avoid taking it apart than it is to just do it.

~HJ

N0DIH
12-27-09, 02:37 PM
Yup, tore down a 94 LT1 and the front end accessory drive (FEAD in GM speak) is not hard to pull off really.

Pull it on the pass side and it is all easy to work on.

Seriously, The LT1 is not that cramped in a GM B or D body. Work on an F-body LT1 and then get back to me. Secondly, once you take the accessory drive off a few times you realize it is easy, and saves you a lot of grief. I had to do it so many times on my 95 Impala cause I had a motor that was garbage in it and I bet you I can replace an opti and wires in less than an hour. You usually spend more time trying to avoid taking it apart than it is to just do it.

~HJ