: Smoke coming from 368 motor?

rollerz70
08-09-04, 12:26 PM
I've had my 81' DeVille with the 368 for about 3 months now, but haven't really had the time to mess with it too much. My problem is that when I start the car and let it get to normal driving temp there is a small amount of smoke coming from the back of the block somewhere, and also a little coming from around the spark plug on the drivers side nearest the firewall. It looks like it could just be burning old oil off by the spark plug, but I'm not sure about the back of the block. Besides this the only other thing I need for the engine is a new ISC motor. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Imprl59
08-09-04, 02:21 PM
Probably leaking valve cover gaskets. Replace them with new to stop the leaks.

Steve B.

JTraik
08-10-04, 03:17 AM
I had to replace my oil pressure switch in the 472 because it was leaking oil. Thats located right on the back of the block

rollerz70
08-10-04, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the oil pressure switch and see if that takes care of the problem. Would it be bad to drive the car if that's what it is? Also I forgot to say that the smoke doesn't always come out, it'll do it for like 30 seconds or so then stop for a couple minutes, then do it again.

JTraik
08-10-04, 06:08 PM
No it wont be bad to drive it, if it is just a little oil being burnt, and your oil level is fine. You can see if its the switch or not, just take a look back there.

rollerz70
08-10-04, 11:08 PM
Where at on the back of the block is it? What does it look like? The oil level has been fine since I've had it, looks as if it was changed right before I got it. Thanks for all the help.

barge master
08-11-04, 06:45 AM
The switch is behind the intake, right in the center of the engine. It sounds more like V/C gaskets though.

JTraik
08-11-04, 08:35 PM
Yeah its a little black plug type thing on the back. Has the wire running from it. Barge Master is prolly right tho, it gets hot back there but i dont think hot enough to burn the oil. But check it none the less.