Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Time for a New Clutch

3K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Baltimore07V 
#1 · (Edited)
Its time for a new clutch, I have a stock 06 V, I really want to put a LS7 clutch in, but not really sure on what else I will have to buy other than the clutch kit, I was looking and found a LS7 clutch kit with pressure plate and fly wheel for $550. What else should I be looking for. Also heard about remote bleeding, not sure about that either, any input will be very helpful.

#3 ·
Do you have a # for him, How much did you pay for the entire kit? Thanks for the help. I remember looking online a while back and came across a website that had pics and a step by step install for the LS7 clutch, but I cant find it now, funny how when you need something you cant find it, but as soon as you dont need it, it will show up.

#10 ·
What's the reason for buying an LS7 that needs all the extra parts, compared to buying a decent aftermarket clutch? The aftermarket route seems less expensive to me.... Forgive my ignorance, I need a new clutch too, but as slow as this forum is it's impossible to search for the EXACT answer I'm looking for.

G
#11 ·
An LS7 clutch and flywheel needs a longer stroke slave cylinder or a spacer because the flywheel is essentially thinner than the stock one creating more room between them. I'm pretty sure the overall cost of the LS7 clutch and flywheel is less than an aftermarket setup, mostly because of the cost of the aftermarket lightweight flywheel. I replaced my LS7 clutch disc and pressure plate for $325 last summer.

#12 ·
You can always do a Monster clutch. Everything you need (including slave) is shipped in a box to you.

#17 ·
Congrats Jerry! I guess you liked the feel of my clutch. Which flywheel did you go with?

I just checked this out, http://www.corvetteguys.com/spec-aluminum-flywheel-c6stock.html If I was to buy this, would I still have to replace the Slave? what is the difference in the weight of a monster flywheel and an LS7 flywheel, because I dont what my car to be too jerky, because my wife drives it sometimes, and i dont think she would be too good with a really light flywheel.
I suggest the regular Monster flywheel. The lightweight may be a little jerky in traffic and may not be ideal for your wife. Here is the pricing on the whole Monster kit www.monsterclutch.com/gm.html

I've heard Spec clutches are good too, get whichever you feel more comfortable with.

#16 ·
I just checked this out, http://www.corvetteguys.com/spec-aluminum-flywheel-c6stock.html If I was to buy this, would I still have to replace the Slave? what is the difference in the weight of a monster flywheel and an LS7 flywheel, because I dont what my car to be too jerky, because my wife drives it sometimes, and i dont think she would be too good with a really light flywheel.

#18 ·
When you get a lighter flywheel, do you loose top end power. A co-worker has the 5.7 gto, and said when he put in a lighter aftermarket flywheel, his acceleration increased but when he was on the highway he lost top end power. Is this what happens when you get a lighter flywheel? I am about to get the LS7 clutch from luke, and I think it is 25 or 28lbs, which is lighter than our stock fly wheel. I was just wondering before I buy, I really dont want to loose too much top end power.

#19 ·
I didnt loose any.

You will be happy with either one.

#23 ·
That 18 lb flywheel is not misleading (it is 18 lbs) but a lot of that saved weight is used up in the pressure plate.

The pressure plate has to be 10 to 15 lbs heavier then stock.

Someone should post the rotating weight of the flywheel/clutch/pressure plate assemblies.

The flywheel weight alone doesn't tell the whole story.

#28 ·
The initial chatter made it feel like I really screwed something up. :eek:

That has almost completely disappeared.

The clutch is definitely "grabby" and slipping it takes some finesse.

You can tell that it isn't slipping under power, especially on a up-shift.

I only have a couple hundred miles on it though.

So far, I like it. :thumbsup:

#29 ·
Ls7 clutch "kit" from Luke was installed yesterday.
We found the the orig flywheel with 74k miles broke, meaning it had play in it -- I think the center piece that connects to the two flywheels broke
and I think that was causing the clunk.... which is now gone.....

Even though I took it easy for the drive home, I definitely noticed an improvement in engagement (much lower)
now I need to go drive it to break it 250miles before I can really get on it....

Thanks QMS in Lewisville, TX
they also installed my new brakes pads, oil catch can...

--Jerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.