: Northeast snow TRAMATIZES my Floridian FWB!!

bmwnick
12-22-09, 03:47 PM
My beautiful, mint condition 55,000 mile 94 FWB has been tramatized by the Blizzard of 09. That poor baby has lived it's whole life in sunny, warm Boca Raton until I kidnapped her to wintry Long Island.

To start with, after gently brushing 25 inches of snow off of her warming her up, I notice a 5" CRACK in my previously pristine dashboard!!

Then, on the way home from work yesterday, I lost her rear rocker mouldling on the parkway!!! I gues I'd rather be the guy who LOST that 3 foot long, 10"wide piece of stainlees steel than the guy who probablt HIT that hunk of metal at 55mph.

Any good parts sources for the rocker panel would be appreciated. I'll have my vinyl guy fix the dash in the spring.

Bro-Ham
12-22-09, 04:05 PM
Nick, Sorry to hear about your baby! It's fixable and the car will adapt. What happened with your chrome wheel center caps? Don't go losing one of those on the parkway! :)

bmwnick
12-22-09, 04:29 PM
Nick, Sorry to hear about your baby! It's fixable and the car will adapt. What happened with your chrome wheel center caps? Don't go losing one of those on the parkway! :)

I've got 2 chrome caps on one side and two aluminum caps on the other side. The aluminums look fine for now until I come across some chrome caps. Who might be a good source for the rocker?

Stingroo
12-22-09, 05:04 PM
TheFleetwoodGuy probably has one or two.

Otherwise, I really don't know other than possibly a dealership or eBay.

thefleetwoodguy
12-22-09, 07:14 PM
Nick
I feel your pain!!!, my perfect condition dash on my 95 just
cracked too, I am pissed, we didnt even see that storm
up here, missed it by about 40 miles,for a change
but the damn cold was here, -10 a couple days
guess Ill be buying a dash mat for it

what side do you need, there hard to find in good shape
but I may have 1,
this is my last winter up here, going back to Maui
for good, bringing the 94 with me...
new england SUCKS this time of year
we all go through these trauma's
it go's along with having a car you care about
hang in there!!

Stingroo
12-22-09, 07:25 PM
Maui? Oh no, that means higher shipping charges!

But yeah, New England does suck in the winter. lol

thefleetwoodguy
12-22-09, 07:30 PM
Maui? Oh no, that means higher shipping charges!

But yeah, New England does suck in the winter. lol

all shipping via "pineapple express!!!" lol

Stingroo
12-22-09, 07:31 PM
Haha. Just making sure. Car work is officially starting.

Officially.

MudAnt
12-23-09, 11:40 AM
I know what you mean. The other day one of my 'Fleetwood' logos fell off while brushing snow off. I've got to get a garage.. or move away from this stupid winter.

EndlessRyd
12-23-09, 11:54 AM
I hate living in IL... It seems like I barely have time to drive the car between the long periods it sits in storage. I go out to the storage garage about twice a month to start it up and run it for a while... but It has never seen snow, and hopefully never will.

bmwnick
12-24-09, 09:53 AM
Nick
I feel your pain!!!, my perfect condition dash on my 95 just
cracked too, I am pissed, we didnt even see that storm
up here, missed it by about 40 miles,for a change
but the damn cold was here, -10 a couple days
guess Ill be buying a dash mat for it

what side do you need, there hard to find in good shape
but I may have 1,
this is my last winter up here, going back to Maui
for good, bringing the 94 with me...
new england SUCKS this time of year
we all go through these trauma's
it go's along with having a car you care about
hang in there!!

I need the passeger side rear quarter rocker panel. I hope that you have it?

I'm going to look into simply covering the dash in fresh vinyl. I may have to pull/replace the windsheild to do it but I have a good vinyl repair guy who thinks that he can work around the airbag hole and make the dask look nice again.

Thanks

Stingroo
12-24-09, 09:55 AM
That sounds much better than just a cover. Let us know how it turns out/how much it costs.

By the way, what radio did you eventually end up going with? Or are you still with an OEM unit?

thefleetwoodguy
12-24-09, 11:15 AM
I need the passeger side rear quarter rocker panel. I hope that you have it?

I'm going to look into simply covering the dash in fresh vinyl. I may have to pull/replace the windsheild to do it but I have a good vinyl repair guy who thinks that he can work around the airbag hole and make the dask look nice again.

Thanks
no need to pull the windshield, the dash comes off easily
few screws behind the fake wood that go's across the dash,
then two in the def vent, the vent grate pulls up and out
takes about 15 minutes to take the dash out
id be interested in how it comes out keep up posted !!

bmwnick
12-24-09, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the info. I got ANOTHER crack this morning from the vent to the windsheild.

How about the rocker? Do you have one?

Thanks

bmwnick
12-24-09, 11:21 AM

That sounds much better than just a cover. Let us know how it turns out/how much it costs.

By the way, what radio did you eventually end up going with? Or are you still with an OEM unit?

I went with a very simple Pioneer with an Ipod interface in the glove box. I also hid my Sirius unit in the glove box too so the dash keeps a clean, stock look.

Stingroo
12-24-09, 12:39 PM
How does that work? Like, how do you mount the radio in the glove box? I keep seeing that as a growing trend... I'm kind of curious.

thefleetwoodguy
12-24-09, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the info. I got ANOTHER crack this morning from the vent to the windsheild.

How about the rocker? Do you have one?

Thanks
I will know soon, just running around catching up with christmas stuff
, just got to get to the parts shed and check on it....Jim

bmwnick
12-25-09, 05:33 PM
I will know soon, just running around catching up with christmas stuff
, just got to get to the parts shed and check on it....Jim

Thanks Jim,
I hate seeing my car with that big hunk of chrome missing
merry Xmas

nick

SDCaddyLacky
12-26-09, 01:28 AM
Man, I feel your pain, this happened to me on my 94 FWB. I was on the freeway, and while turning to get off onto another on ramp the left rear chrome panel feel off and got ran over by a car, when it finally skidded towards some ice plants safely. At first, I didn't know what to do, either to stop or keep going, but I knew it would of have been extremely difficult and expensive for me to get another one, plus the car looks really ghetto without it.

So I decided to immediately pull over, and ran towards the panel in joy. Yeah it was banged up, scratched really bad, and had some small dents in it, but when I put it back on, from a certain distance you can't even tell the panel is messed up. It's amazing how missing one small trim item can ruin a cars look.

BTW regarding the dash crack issue, does anyone know why these FWB have the constant cracking dash syndrome? Is it the quality of vinyl GM used or something? Because a lot of people have this problem and seems to happen way too often.

One thing I did for my dash, was I bought a nice dash cover from Dash Designs, they are much better quality than Dash Mat ( cost about $50 total with ship), which is cheap and flimsy in comparison.

HUF
12-26-09, 01:40 AM
Any preventive measures to secure that chrome panel?

greencadillacmatt
12-26-09, 03:15 AM
Any preventive measures to secure that chrome panel?

I'm heating up the hot-glue gun as we speak! :alchi:

HUF
12-26-09, 11:49 AM
I'm heating up the hot-glue gun as we speak! :alchi:

I would rather secure it with two nice chromed screws and nuts than loose that piece!

SDCaddyLacky
12-26-09, 02:13 PM
That's what I did! Gee, I wonder why Cadillac didn't think of that when in they first built these cars.

Such idiots:cookoo:it would of save a lot of people time, money and many headaches.

TWasArroundHere
12-27-09, 10:54 AM
Now Im scared- my Boca Ratton Caddie- a 84 DeVille- has never seen snow. It's sitting under a cover with no battery for the winter, but now I wanna go look at it to make sure that the storm didnt kill it!

flux1414
12-27-09, 12:37 PM
To each their own, but I can't believe someone bought a never-seen-snow Caddy in Florida only to use it as a winter daily driver in the rust belt. I hope you got great pictures from when you picked it up, it will never be that nice again.

bmwnick
01-02-10, 11:20 AM
To each their own, but I can't believe someone bought a never-seen-snow Caddy in Florida only to use it as a winter daily driver in the rust belt. I hope you got great pictures from when you picked it up, it will never be that nice again.

Simple answer.....for $7,000 it's the coolest car in the world. The only real nice ones are in places like southern Florida.

Stingroo
01-02-10, 11:32 AM
And, it can be preserved if maintained properly. I'm sure Nick expected all of that. :)

And yeah, it is pretty much awesome.

bmwnick
01-02-10, 12:03 PM
How does that work? Like, how do you mount the radio in the glove box? I keep seeing that as a growing trend... I'm kind of curious.

I mounted the new radio in the standard location and mounted the Sirius receiver and ipod cable in the glove box, not the whole radio. The Sirius has a remote control as does the Pioneer so it's easy to operate and leaves a clean look to the dash.

Stingroo
01-02-10, 12:49 PM
Ah, I misread. I don't like those pockets above/below the radio... that would be my only problem with a single DIN setup. They look out of place to me.

Bro-Ham
01-02-10, 12:53 PM
Simple answer.....for $7,000 it's the coolest car in the world. The only real nice ones are in places like southern Florida.

I see the "bubble" FWBH's all day long here in the sunshine state - my office overlooks a very busy road. Most of them appear to be pretty darn nice although there is the occasional dog. I see 90-92 BH's at least a few times a day. Lots of Roadmasters & Caprices too. The older stuff (older than 1990) is around but not as many people drive them every day like I do. On my way to the office in the morning I usually see the same white 77 Olds 98 LS Sedan and also a white 90-92 BH - both are just like new chugging along just like my old tugboat bringing their owners to their places of business. :) I personally like Texas, Arizona, or California cars because Florida is a mixed bag, even for garaged cars with all of our salt air and extreme humidity.

Stingroo
01-02-10, 01:28 PM
True, our humidity sucks the big one.

Bro-Ham
01-07-10, 10:03 PM
Nick, Time to return your Fleetwood to its roots. When are you coming to Florida? :)