: power closing trunk?

dvandentop
12-22-09, 03:28 PM
does the v have a power closing trunk at all? if not would be a nice feature.

asabase
12-22-09, 03:56 PM
How so? It always seemed like a useless feature - just making something motorized for the sake of motorizing it.

Looney100
12-22-09, 04:04 PM
Its quite handy for lareg rear hatches when your hands are full. Trying to haul a hatch closed with an infant in your arms isn't easy.
I think it would be a little silly with a regular trunk, though.

neuronbob
12-22-09, 04:37 PM
To answer the question directly, we do not have a power trunk. The handle on the inside of the trunk is awesome, though...I've never owned a car with one. It's great because it's placed so that you need very minimal effort to close the trunk, and you don't get your hands dirty. It works fine except if you've got a rotator cuff tear (e.g. muscle tear in shoulder).

dvandentop
12-22-09, 11:19 PM
nice atleast it does have the handle in the trunk rather then closing by the trunk lid.

dg144
12-22-09, 11:57 PM
nice atleast it does have the handle in the trunk rather then closing by the trunk lid.

at least you don't have to crack the window or open door to shut it like in the C6Z

dvandentop
12-22-09, 11:58 PM
at least you don't have to crack the window or open door to shut it like in the C6Z

that is why i was asking about the power closing trunk :lildevil:

GM-4-LIFE
12-23-09, 01:47 AM
The CTS-V weighs way more than it should. Why add more weight? If anything, GM should be finding ways to make the next generation CTS-V go on a diet!

SG

jvp
12-23-09, 07:17 AM

Only wimps have to do that. The C6Z's hatch closes just fine with the windows up if you actually have any upper body strength. I know for some people that's a stretch, however...

jas

Gary Wells
12-23-09, 08:18 AM
Only wimps have to do that. The C6Z's hatch closes just fine with the windows up if you actually have any upper body strength. I know for some people that's a stretch, however...

jas

Has more to do with the air tight integrity of the interior compartment than it does to do with the strength of the owner / person shutting the last remaining open door / hatch with the windows up. I think that it is / was a great idea and GM did it to avoid window warranty replacement.

wfo
12-23-09, 08:36 AM

Exactly! That is, nice. :thumbsup:

jvp
12-23-09, 08:38 AM
Has more to do with the air tight integrity of the interior compartment than it does to do with the strength of the owner / person shutting the last remaining open door / hatch with the windows up. I think that it is / was a great idea and GM did it to avoid window warranty replacement.

This simply isn't true. I've closed the hatch on my Z06 with little more than a push, with no problems at all. Nothing will happen to the windows. They're not going to explode outward in a shower of glass (do you have any idea how hard it is to break a door window in a car?)

People are too afraid to use a little grunt to close the hatches of their cars. It doesn't hurt anything at all.

jas

JFJr
12-23-09, 08:49 AM
I remember power closing trunks (back in the 1980's?). Those that had them were constantly reminding others not to slam the trunk for fear of breaking the mechanism. Maybe it's a desirable feature for a gal, but for a guy??

dvandentop
12-23-09, 10:34 AM
LOL at where this thread headed.

i was only asking due to i usually have to carry several boxes + bag for work and dont always have a free hand to grab the lid

Gary Wells
12-23-09, 11:41 AM
This simply isn't true. I've closed the hatch on my Z06 with little more than a push, with no problems at all. Nothing will happen to the windows. They're not going to explode outward in a shower of glass (do you have any idea how hard it is to break a door window in a car?)

People are too afraid to use a little grunt to close the hatches of their cars. It doesn't hurt anything at all.

jas

What year is your ZO6?

jvp
12-23-09, 11:45 AM
What year is your ZO6?

Two different 2007s. I no longer have it/them.

jas

Gary Wells
12-23-09, 11:58 AM
Two different 2007s. I no longer have it/them.

jas

OK, I have a '02 C5 ZO6 and it does contain fracture cracks in a line running widthwise along the rear of the trunk lid about 2" from the rear of the trunk lid. Did not show up until about '05 or '06. As it is a DD I do not concern myself about it, but they are there. They are not completely through the fiberglass trunk lid panel, but they do show in the bright sunlight when you look close. I have never ever slammed the trunk lid but only applied pressure as was necessary to close it. And I am one of those weaklings that you were talking about. So even though it is only a guess, I am sticking with the thought that it was done as a precaution to eliminate that issue.

jvp
12-23-09, 12:41 PM
So even though it is only a guess, I am sticking with the thought that it was done as a precaution to eliminate that issue.

It is a guess, and you're actually kinda off-base with it. The two aren't even remotely related to one another. Your notchback doesn't have the kind of sealed pressure that the C6 coupe/Z06 does. If you're seeing stress fractures, it's more like due to either something hitting it that you didn't know about, or bad paint workmanship.

The trunk closer on the C6 was put there because people complained about it being "too hard to close the hatch". I never had a problem with it. Anyone else that applied a little force didn't either.

jas

garfin
12-24-09, 11:55 AM
I remember power closing trunks (back in the 1980's?). Those that had them were constantly reminding others not to slam the trunk for fear of breaking the mechanism.

How very true! I laughed when I read this!
Both my '70 Fleetwood Brougham and '76 Fleetwood Talisman had this feature. It was so useful, that when they broke on both cars, I never bothered getting it fixed!
You still had to reach up and pull the trunk down. Just before it reached the point where it closed, a motor would bring it the last 7" or 8" and shut it.
But man, were those trunks huge!!

Best regards,

Elie