: onstar subscription fee on credit card???

dvandentop
12-22-09, 02:17 AM
just signed the papers last week for a V from scott, reviewing my credit card today and I am seeling a $430 charge for onstar subscription? I thought it was 1 year free??

neuronbob
12-22-09, 06:46 AM
It is one year free. Sounds like an error.

commander112
12-22-09, 08:13 AM
Yup. One year free.

Krug Ford
12-22-09, 10:15 AM
one year is free.. You got the 4yr subscription at employee price if you don't want it just press your blue button in your car and cancel.

You get an insurance discount for having it..

talk to your insurance company.

neuronbob
12-22-09, 10:20 AM
^^^^^
really? Can you get that only at purchase or can you get that any time? That's a big discount, only $143 a year after the first year.

Krug Ford
12-22-09, 10:37 AM
I can get it for anyone right now..

SlvrBullIT
12-22-09, 10:57 AM
4yr for how much? and what tier aka what is included in the package?

commander112
12-22-09, 11:09 AM
Is it transferable if you decide to sell your car?

dvandentop
12-22-09, 12:03 PM
is it prorated if i decide to sell the car after a few years??

i will think about it,

I wish i had known about the charge up front though. was never told about this going to be charged to my CC.

Krug Ford
12-22-09, 01:19 PM
its prorated. Onstar does it when I sign everyone up under the employee discount program.

Krug Ford
12-22-09, 01:20 PM
Is it transferable if you decide to sell your car?

Yes you can tansfer it to another vehicle, Request a credit or throw it in to the new owner if you sell your car out directly.

neuronbob
12-22-09, 01:33 PM
I can get it for anyone right now..

ygpm especially if it's for the Directions and Connections plan (which all V owners have for a year).

neuronbob
12-22-09, 10:58 PM
The price is for the base plan (Safe and Sound). Waiting for pricing on Directions and Connections.

Tasos
12-22-09, 11:09 PM
Waiting for pricing on Directions and Connections.

Yes, waiting....

sefa01
12-23-09, 07:58 AM
one year is free.. You got the 4yr subscription at employee price if you don't want it just press your blue button in your car and cancel.

You get an insurance discount for having it..

talk to your insurance company.

Just so I have this right: It's 4 years after the first (free) year, so you're actually covered for 5 years in total?

zr1vet
12-23-09, 11:49 AM
I'm not sure if they all work the same but I purchased the $475 extension and my OnStar account shows I'm covered until 2013. Looks like I got the 1st year free and then a 3 yr extension for the safe and sound package. HTH

neuronbob
12-23-09, 07:16 PM
The price is for the base plan (Safe and Sound). Waiting for pricing on Directions and Connections.

I found GM Family discount for multi-year pricing on the Directions and Connections plan. It's $590, according to the OnStar website. This is compared to $650 regular price for the additional three years. Go to the site linked below, look at "2007 and newer vehicles", click on the + for "multi-year discounts" and you'll see the various discounts. Enjoy! This is $196/yr vs the standard price of $216/yr and base price of $299/yr.

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/gm_discount_main.jsp

neuronbob
03-14-10, 07:28 PM
Resurrecting an old thread.

I just renewed OnStar/Directions and Connections for three years using the GM Family Discount. If you got your car via the Employee or Supplier programs, I guess you qualify. I could not renew online for these prices, I had to call OnStar to do the deed. Quoted them the price from the above link, and they confirmed those prices are still in effect.

Very happy with OnStar, worth every penny as I've had to use it for roadside service once, and I like the Mapquest-OnStar directions. My wife also likes it so she knows I'm safe....but she doesn't like it enough to let me swap out her Pilot for an SRX or CTS Wagon. Working on her, though! :)