: E92 M3s

Luna.
12-21-09, 06:11 PM
On Friday night, at like 2:30 am (okay, Saturday morning...:bouncy:), a gorgeous white, lowered, E92 M3 passes a few cars and enters a clearing on the 5S freeway (in So Cal); he's slowly catching up to me. (Note that I'm NOT a wiz on the whole E9* thing---that's the new, 414hp one, yes?)

Realizing/recognizing that this is an M3 and since I haven't found a sole to putt-putt with me since I did my mods, I opted to downshift into 3rd gear (about, say, 70ish mph) and wait for him to jump on it.

Sure enough, he did.

God-damn thing sure has some giddyup, that I can tell you. I was SLOWLY pulling him in 3rd gear and it wasn't until 4th gear that I really started to walk him, but damn---that car was pretty damn fast. Cool guy. He eventually caught up to me, turned on his interior light and gave me a thumbs up (which I returned, but I'm not sure he saw me), then got off the freeway shortly thereafter.

It is my belief, at this moment, that his car wasn't stock. Why? Because I believe I should have walked him a lot easier than I did given the mods that I have.

If that sucker was stock, Jesus...watch out, those cars are pretty fast.

If I understand correctly, some fairly simple bolt-ons on those new M3s and they can run high 11s...

Dr. Design
12-21-09, 06:26 PM
FINALLY!! You got someone to bite...

Congrats. Socal M3, not too many of those stay stock for too long.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

On Friday night, at like 2:30 am (okay, Saturday morning...:bouncy:), a gorgeous white, lowered, E92 M3 passes a few cars and enters a clearing on the 5S freeway (in So Cal); he's slowly catching up to me. (Note that I'm NOT a wiz on the whole E9* thing---that's the new, 414hp one, yes?)

Realizing/recognizing that this is an M3 and since I haven't found a sole to putt-putt with me since I did my mods, I opted to downshift into 3rd gear (about, say, 70ish mph) and wait for him to jump on it.

Sure enough, he did.

God-damn thing sure has some giddyup, that I can tell you. I was SLOWLY pulling him in 3rd gear and it wasn't until 4th gear that I really started to walk him, but damn---that car was pretty damn fast. Cool guy. He eventually caught up to me, turned on his interior light and gave me a thumbs up (which I returned, but I'm not sure he saw me), then got off the freeway shortly thereafter.

It is my belief, at this moment, that his car wasn't stock. Why? Because I believe I should have walked him a lot easier than I did given the mods that I have.

If that sucker was stock, Jesus...watch out, those cars are pretty fast.

If I understand correctly, some fairly simple bolt-ons on those new M3s and they can run high 11s...

Luna.
12-21-09, 06:39 PM
If I was a betting guy, I'd say he was expecting a stock car, or at least one he could walk pretty easy. I'm fairly sure he probably said, "Damn" when I got on it. :cool2:

Still, that friggin car was pretty fast though. I need to check the curb weight of those cars, for I need to figure out why they are so damn fast. lol

thebigjimsho
12-21-09, 07:42 PM
Stock for stock, you should pull somewhat steadily.

What was funny was when I had just picked up the V2, I had an e92 M3 that wanted to play. I had just gotten out of San Antonio, I had barely set my seat adjustments, when he wanted to go. I'm totally out of sorts, soaking in the feel of the new beast, talking on the Bluetooth and I just couldn't go at the time. Nevermind racing in Texas w/ MA plates seems a bit risky...

4DR_ZR1
12-21-09, 07:52 PM
He was probably talking to himself the rest of the weekend and then on the phone to Dinan this morning, ordering more goodies.

Karch
12-21-09, 08:16 PM
What part of I-5, may I ask? I assume OC, south of 91? I only assume that as the rest is pretty rough.

Damn, I want one of these...haha.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
12-22-09, 01:20 AM
Ibtl?

cts-v2009
12-22-09, 02:41 AM
E92 stock is easy and i walked on it last week very very easiy from 30-180 kmh .... and my car is stock :)

Gotham CTS-V
12-22-09, 09:11 AM
I test drove an E92 and found the torque to be anorexic. I bought a E60 M5 instead which was sufficient enough for daily driving. It's a fun car to drive because of the high redline. I also think it looks beautiful from the outside, especially in white with some carbon fiber exterior pieces (I've already seen a few of these on the highways). I haven't gotten one of them to race my car yet though.

CIWS
12-22-09, 10:02 AM
BMUU seems to have woke up some on the torque issue as the new 5 series (550i) will have a 400HP / 450 TQ option. It will be interesting to see what they end up with on the new M5.

Gotham CTS-V
12-22-09, 10:05 AM
BMUU seems to have woke up some on the torque issue as the new 5 series (550i) will have a 400HP / 450 TQ option. It will be interesting to see what they end up with on the new M5.

Rumors are it will be a V8TT based on the motor in the 5 series, or a V10TT (which would be incredible).

If you look at the potential of the 335i's, then you know the new twin turbo M5 will be a total monster when modded.

Z06ified
12-22-09, 10:34 AM
Yeah, those E92's aren't slow. I raced one at a racetrack in Mexico a little while ago in my '02 Z06 with bolt-ons (450hp), and while I beat it and pulled away pretty easily, especially into the triple digits, that pesky M3 didn't fall back in my rearview mirror as quickly as I thought it would. They are MUCH faster than the E46 M3, which wasn't even a contest.

Florian
12-22-09, 11:41 AM
boys, remember, no bench racing allowed......not good for our site or for the public roads, if you know what I mean.

F