Cadillac Owners Forum banner
3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  T-Giv 
#1 ·
We don't do snow well here in the UK. A couple of inches and everything comes to a halt. We don't get enough snow to make it worthwhile buying winter tires, snow chains etc

Common sense says I should drive my EXT in the snow and revel in the all wheel drive capability. BUT....its this all wheel drive thing that has me wondering what it behaves like. A 345bhp rear wheel drive truck weighing 3.5 tons, running on 305/40x22 tires isn't a recipe for an easy and safe snow drive - so how quick does the front drive part kick in? What is the EXT like in snow and ice, without snow tires. studs or chains?

#4 ·
All wheel drive is engaged all the time, not like auto 4X4 you see on the trucks. Those guys will engage the front wheel portion when the system senses slipping. Our AWD system works with a 40% front and 60% rear power ratio most of the time. The reason for the uneven balance is that if you have ever driven a true 4X4 you will find you cannot turn real sharp while it is in 4by (if your on dry pavement...ice or snow or mud is diff cause it can slip) or else you will feel the front kinda buckle or bounce because the front wheels wont cover as much ground as the rear do when you are turning really sharp. Coming from a drive who spend 7 months driving roads with ice and snow on them....AWD is a fantastic system! You can burn up the streets like no other...however you still have to respect the limitations of your vehicle and your ability to control it if does go out of control. For times like that.....you gotta try the stabilitrac system its amazing. It kinda takes some of the fun out of winter driving though, cause usually you can get some nice drifts and fishtailing going but with stabtrac she shuts you down and takes control of the vehicle, the only thing you get to do is steer it! For this reason you have to occassionaly shut it off while the wife isnt with you so you can have some fun. So worry no more about taking your EXT out in the snow, you'll find its one of the safest vehicles out there and it will react a predictable as a fat kid in a candy store.

#5 ·
Thanks for that reply, went "skiing" in my Fiat 500 the other day (sliding down an ice covered hill with no way of stopping), had to aim for the slush by the sidewalk to stop it. Guess its time to take the EXT out - worst case I'm a lot further from the accident :)

#7 ·
I am running 305 35 24 Vredestein tires up here in Colorado and I can't say that the are GREAT in the snow but I certainly haven't had any overly scary situations to deal with. I'm usually sideways everywhere anyways. LOL I rarely drive with the TC on. It's so much fun to drift these trucks. I've had some gnarly ones in my short career.

#12 ·
Love my Escalade ESV, but my dads Excursion Turbo Diesel (with 4x4 engaged) with BFGoodrich All-Terrains and a slight lift was a tank with our 20" of snow in MD before Christmas…*pulled out the cars that ended up in the ditch…*but like the guys above said, gotta know the limitations of the truck (or suv, whichever you have). keep truckin y'all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.