: State by state guide to Northstar head gasket repair shops

Speedingpenguin
12-20-09, 11:24 PM
Having recently suffered a blown head gasket (and then some!) on my 98 Eldorado ETC, I wanted to make sure that the shop I took my car to to get fixed would know what they were doing with my car. My experience with the dealership working on my car was disgusting, and I didn't want to leave it up to some mechanic who had never worked on a Northstar engine before. After lots of searching, I found a recommendation on this forum for a local repair shop who has done several head gasket repairs including installing Jake's Northstar Performance head studs.

Long story short I should have the car back tomorrow with a new engine in it (mine was toast, not just the head gaskets), and I could not have been happier with how the people at this shop have treated me and my car.

I'm surprised there isn't already a sticky in this thread for this, but how bout we put together a list of repair facilities in all 50 states that have experience working on Northstar Cadillacs, and do a good job? This way Cadillac owners like us will have an easy way to find a reputable shop to fix their cars and won't have to worry about whether or not their car is in good hands!

I'll gladly keep this thread updated if everyone who has had a good experience with a repair shop fixing their Northstar would just post here with:

State the shop is in
The name of the shop
website (if applicable)
contact information

and then maybe a few words about what your car was worked on for, and anything that stood out about the shop and how they treated you and your car.
:bouncy: I'll start with the shop that installed a new engine in my Caddy (went in thinking it was just head gaskets)

[/URL]
Alabama

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

District of Columbia

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Nemesis Motorsports
Wakefield, MA
[url]www.nemesismustang.com (http://state.1keydata.com/alabama.php)
781-844-9742

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma

Oregon

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

Washington

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming

Krashed989
12-21-09, 02:20 AM
I'll do it on the Big Island of Hawaii... I'm not really a shop, but I can do it in your driveway...

So I guess my info would be
Hawaii (Big Island)
Allen K.
Krashed989 @ gmail.com (Take out the spaces)
email me for my phone #

97EldoCoupe
12-21-09, 09:30 AM
I'm actually setting this up. It's called the International Network of Northstar Repair Shops. (INNRS) We have shops in about 10 states now, they work with us here at Northstar Performance to make sure there's a reliable, cost effective solution to the common HG failure. These shops will all be directly linked with one another. This means that if you get your HG's done close to home, say in Illinois, and you're on a trip to Oklahoma- something goes wrong with your engine (be it a simple mistake the tech made or something else), you can check our website and find a member shop close in Missouri to handle the repair. If it's warranty related, even though you went somewhere else, that shop will not charge you.

Over the Christmas Holidays there's going to be drastic changes to my website and one of those changes will be completing the INNRS page. All shops have a direct link to us and we get a big discount parts through General Motors Service & Parts Operations - we can send the shop the parts they need, used blocks, new blocks, heads, basically anything you may need, at discount prices. We also have a small machining operation with some new equipment on the way in the New Year.

I'll be doing the rating system on the shops, I'm going to review complaints/comments/suggestions/testimonials on each shop and if they are rude to customers, if they forget to install parts, too many mistakes, etc., that shop will be removed from the list. Nobody's ever going to have a 100% positive review in the automotive world but the ones who clearly don't care about their customers and/or cars, will get axed from the network. I want everyone to have a good repair experience when it comes to fixing the Northstar.

Also I'm going to somehow locate a 4T80 transmission expert to start rebuilding transmissions. I have a LOT of core transmissions. I want someone in my shop, or even off-site who can build them perfectly. Someone who knows all of the flaws, all of the problematic areas, and the weaknesses. We'll be offering re-man transmissions as soon as I can find a guy like this.

Not to try to take your idea here Speeding Penguin, but I've been working on this for a while now. Did Nemesis do a good swap job for you?

buggin123
12-21-09, 10:18 AM
North Texas
If anyone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area needs heads done, I have small shop.
I could come do on site but would take a bit longer and would have to use Norms inserts instead of Jake's studs.
Rob Smith you can reach me at bnksmith@yahoo.com

johnny kannapo
12-21-09, 03:12 PM
In Minnesota- Courtney Truck Service. Don't let the name fool you Mike Courtney and his professional staff deal regularly with high end performance and race set up for any given road course named and knows what you need to be competetive. He is a Porsche Club Racing competitor and has knowledge specializing in Audi, BMW, Corvette, Porsche, Jap. High quality work is worth more. courtneytruckservice.com

Speedingpenguin
12-21-09, 06:06 PM
Great start guys!
Jake, I wanted to have a thread here in the forum, this way it doesn't just apply to people looking to stud their engine, but rather for Northstar repairs in general. Your site should be awesome when it gets up and running, much easier to navigate than the forum, but hey, gotta get the word out about good Northstar mechanics in as many places as possible so more people can benefit from them. And yeah, engine is in and the snow kinda screwed things up yesterday, but it's almost ready to go!

Now, I just need to be able to edit that first post to keep it updated... hmm...

00 Deville
12-21-09, 08:15 PM
Now, I just need to be able to edit that first post to keep it updated... hmm...

That may be a problem... it's my understanding your ability to edit a post is gone after 10-15 minutes or so after it's posted... unless your a Mod. or Admin.

Speedingpenguin
12-22-09, 12:03 AM
I PM'd Ranger and he didn't know of any way to do it, I'm putting together a WordPress Blog as we speak, so I'll just do it there instead!

Speedingpenguin
12-22-09, 01:34 AM
STATE BY STATE NORTHSTAR REPAIR SHOP LIST IS NOW AVAILABLE AT http://northstarshops.wordpress.com (http://northstarshops.wordpress.com/)

97EldoCoupe
12-22-09, 11:38 AM
Texas: North Texas Performance - Tony Huerta, Dallas TX- uses my studs, www.northtexasperformance.com. Specializes in Taurus SHO's, but has done a wonderful job with the Northstars, super happy customers.

97EldoCoupe
12-22-09, 11:39 AM
GM Repair Center - Roseville, CA - www.gmrepaircenter.com These guys also do an awesome job on the Northstars. They're quick and professional.

97EldoCoupe
12-22-09, 11:44 AM
Crest Cadillac Hummer of Birmingham, Alabama. Tim is the guy to speak to, he's a very nice guy, and it being a Caddy dealership, they are more than experienced with the Northstars. They use studs instead of inserts and have had very positive results. Having access to Cadillac O.E. parts, tools, and service information, this is a good choice. I'll assume their shop rate is a bit higher than an independent shop, but for those with the means, I very highly recommend them!

www.crestcadillachummer.com

Speedingpenguin
12-22-09, 05:42 PM
Awesome! Thanks Jake! Updated!

And with so many of the shops using your studs, I'm sure anyone who stumbles across the site will check out Northstar Performance and want them used in their car!

kdcing
01-01-10, 11:45 PM
I recall seeing a post from one of our forum members (Ranger?) that recommended a guy in Chicago's far western suburbs that did a good HG and Insert or Stud job for $2500. Does anyone have the contact information for the shop?

Ranger
01-02-10, 12:17 AM
He's a caddy tech that does side jobs. Not sure if he uses Jakes studs or not. Price could have changed. Here's Anthony's contact. aaturbo124@yahoo.com.

Speedingpenguin
01-02-10, 12:41 AM
If he's got experience with Northstars, I'll throw his contact info up on the page!
Thanks!!

Keep the recommendations coming! :bouncy:

97EldoCoupe
01-04-10, 07:34 PM
My guide has been under construction over the holidays as well:

http://www.northstarperformance.com/innrs/directory.php

California and Texas are the only ones that work at this time, I'm back in the shop so after hours this is my project.

Speedingpenguin
01-08-10, 12:58 AM
Looks good Jake!

kdcing
01-26-10, 07:03 PM
He's a caddy tech that does side jobs. Not sure if he uses Jakes studs or not. Price could have changed. Here's Anthony's contact. aaturbo124@yahoo.com.

I've finally made contact w/ Anthony. His pricing is $2,200 and he uses Time Serts. Location = Chicago's near west suburbs. If my contact uses Anthony for the HG replacement, I'll provide opinions on his work and quality....however, I do not expect the work to be done anytime soon.

Does anyone know the pros, cons and reliability of the different Head Fastener types (i.e. Time Serts, Norm's Serts?, Jake's Studs, etc.)? Jake, feel free to give your input. Thanks.

cl1986
01-26-10, 08:41 PM
I recall seeing a post from one of our forum members (Ranger?) that recommended a guy in Chicago's far western suburbs that did a good HG and Insert or Stud job for $2500. Does anyone have the contact information for the shop?

for a 4.9? timeserts work if needed, and i thought the 4.9 was way cheaper than that?/ Maybe im wrong

kdcing
01-26-10, 09:15 PM
for a 4.9? timeserts work if needed, and i thought the 4.9 was way cheaper than that?/ Maybe im wrong

Oops....I have a 4.9, however, I am asking the question for someone else that has a Northstar....please relate all answers to a Northstar HG repair.

Ranger
01-26-10, 11:04 PM
Timeserts are the GM repair and I have not heard of any failures. Norms are a coarser thread pitch and are generally considered an little better. Studs probably better yet. All seem to be reliable.

Another member here just contacted him as well and is going to have the work done soon. Anthony is :10 min south of ORD. Probably Schaumburg.

ccclarke
01-27-10, 12:52 AM
I've used these bad boys to make repairs (on submarines and spacecraft) that demand high-reliability. Never had one fail yet!

http://www.thorintl.com/Keenserts-Keyserts-Keylocking-Inserts.htm

CC

RichPa
04-08-10, 07:39 PM
Does anyone know of a shop in the Philadelphia area? I have an olds aurora with northstar engine. Thanks

zonie77
04-09-10, 06:24 PM
Does anyone know the pros, cons and reliability of the different Head Fastener types (i.e. Time Serts, Norm's Serts?, Jake's Studs, etc.)? Jake, feel free to give your input. Thanks.

I think the timeserts are the weakest based on their being the shortest. Jake has seen some fail. I think their installation is critical to their longevity. They may also be more subject to deterioration of the block because of their shorter size.

Norm's are longer so more strength.

Jake's seem to be strongest.

edb150
04-09-10, 11:33 PM
I am in Palatine Illinois 40 minutes west of Chicago and do them in my shop on a regular basis. I have used Norms NS300L insert with no issues.I am wanting to try Jakes studs but so far noone will spring for the extra cash. The next car i buy to repair may get them as I am anxious to chech them out.I charge 1500 labor plus parts and most bills are 2000 to 2200 contact me at 847 878 5676 or www.midwestcadillacRepair.com

Kick94sts
04-15-10, 12:25 PM
I'm subscribing for fear of future reference! lol

ThumperPup
04-16-10, 05:45 PM
Right now the Caddy is at MidwestCadillacRepair
i was gona park it and get a newer model but then that fell threw then i got sick
then i tried to get it to where i could do the stud kit but could not get into canada then got sick again
then drove it down to Palatine Joe is a great guy nice place
i was like really suprised when i drove up i knew where i was right away when i saw like 4 or was they 5 cadillacs 3 sevilles and i think 2 devilles
he showed me an engine that he was working on and about to finish up
and showed me exactly what he would be doing to my baby

Ranger
04-17-10, 02:58 AM
Right now the Caddy is at MidwestCadillacRepair
i was gona park it and get a newer model but then that fell threw then i got sick
then i tried to get it to where i could do the stud kit but could not get into canada then got sick again
then drove it down to Palatine Joe is a great guy nice place
i was like really suprised when i drove up i knew where i was right away when i saw like 4 or was they 5 cadillacs 3 sevilles and i think 2 devilles
he showed me an engine that he was working on and about to finish up
and showed me exactly what he would be doing to my baby
Let me know when you are gonna pick it up. Maybe we can get together for lunch or something. See my post in the lounge, I have nothing but time.

ThumperPup
04-17-10, 12:10 PM
Let me know when you are gonna pick it up. Maybe we can get together for lunch or something. See my post in the lounge, I have nothing but time.

Cool Cool Ranger Sounds good
Ill let you know
Joe said that the latest hell have it ready should be tuesday nite so im thinking im gona drive in on Wensday afternoon if its ready by then
i told him no rush because i got the rental car for a week and don't want him to rush to get it back to me

97EldoCoupe
04-17-10, 05:18 PM
PupFromCleveland- so sorry I haven't been able to log in to the forums for a while. I can still get your car in for repair but I wish you the best of luck with what ever route you choose. Now to check and respond to your PM!

John and Charity are moving out west so it'll just be me again for a while here at the shop- emails are the best for me, phone calls are always welcome too.

bitterrick
04-25-10, 02:29 AM
Minnesota-Duluth Duluth Auto Parts and Repair. They did my HG's and studs-great job and CHEAP!

Kick94sts
04-25-10, 05:16 AM
Minnesota-Duluth Duluth Auto Parts and Repair. They did my HG's and studs-great job and CHEAP!

Like how cheap???

Tracie
05-08-10, 10:01 PM
Hi Penguin,

I've been trying to search all over this site (and the internet in general) for someone in South Floriduh that actually does the HG & studs/inserts repair. I don't see a listing in this thread but I was hoping that you might have heard something, have an idea how to search, etc.

What you're trying to do is a great idea. I wish more people would list locations!

Thanks for your time,
Tracie

rj99caddy
11-12-11, 02:50 PM
is there any place in michigan doing the northstar engine repair thought detroit automotive capital of world?

ThumperPup
11-12-11, 03:28 PM
If you can't find anyone in Detroit about 2 and half 3 hours away in NE Ohio there is a Shop that does Studs
PowerTrain Automotive if you contact them ask for david hes the owner and hes a great Mechanic

Robertsong
11-14-11, 05:36 PM
California is an awfully big state. So far only one shop has been listed in Northern California (Roseville). I am about 300~400 miles south, on the Central Coast. Sure would be helpful information for a shop somewhere between Monterey and Santa Barbara. The oil leak I have had for years is becoming really bothersome to my most important passenger (no not me, my wife!) and I have got to get it fixed. So a reputable shop with experience is definitely needed. If anyone can help? I will post my experience as soon as I get the work done
Thanks

Rim1
03-17-12, 05:58 PM
I have an 01 Deville that i just bought a week ago and it has a HG problem does anyone know of any shops in LongIsland,NY or NY area if not i might have to contact the shop in Mass and have my car shipped there.

00 Deville
03-18-12, 12:19 AM
...i might have to contact the shop in Mass and have my car shipped there.

That shop in Mass (Nemesis Motorsports) is no longer in business.

ThumperPup
03-19-12, 02:12 AM
Closest that I could think for u that I know of would be power train automotive in wickliff Ohio yeah it's far but they do the best work I have seen and they are some of the best guys I know a member from Mass just had his 01 STS done there

beebop01
05-03-12, 08:20 AM
B & B automotive LLC
Indianapolis, IN 46250

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-Northstar-head-gasket-engine-repair-18month-unlimited-mileage-/170818335052?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item27c590f14c#ht_902wt_1270

Brad Barczy 317-796-7857

codewize
05-03-12, 09:10 AM
Looking for a shop in Upstate NY. Anyone have any info? Anyone know what a crate N* costs now?

ponyboyt
05-03-12, 10:17 PM
there is more than one place that does them in southern Ontario, including myself. Getting the car across the border is an issue for me, best i can do is pick it up in the falls.

JoeTahoe
05-03-12, 10:33 PM
hey ponyboyt thanks for the rims they look awsome after a little tlc