: Stereo question, got a new 83 fleetwood brougham

Foster420
12-20-09, 07:06 PM
Whats up guys, just joined the forum after I bought an 83 fleetwood brougham d'elegance. I've been looking all over for an install kit to put a new head unit in but I can't find one. Can you guys help me out?

carnut
12-20-09, 08:32 PM
www.Crutchfield.com??

Stingroo
12-20-09, 08:35 PM
^ I don't trust their fitment guide. They still swear up and down that my car is 1.5 DIN, when I know for a fact it isn't.

Only good to comparison shop or find units that stores don't stock IMO.

tx_boy_ep
12-20-09, 08:42 PM
They have them at wal-mart as well! Well atleast for mine they do!

Foster420
12-20-09, 09:10 PM
When I checked crutchfield it gave me the "Modified Fit*" warning on every head unit, saying it would require more than a quarter inch of trimming to install. I've seen plenty of 83 broughams on cardomain with stereos installed so Im not sure whats up.

AElayyat
12-20-09, 09:15 PM
The dash has to be cut. There is not a dash kit for these cars. They do
Make wiring kits for the stereo & speakers.

Good luck

jayoldschool
12-20-09, 09:29 PM
Yep, he's right. Take out the dash center piece, trace the install sleeve on it, and get to work with the Dremel tool. Then, feel the shame for cutting up that nice Caddy dash.

Don't worry, I've done one too. It is an easy to find piece if you ever want to go back to stock.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-20-09, 11:50 PM
Sting, yours should be a double din. They say that only a 1.5 din will work because only some aftermarket double dins will fit, some are too large.

outsider
12-21-09, 10:10 AM
i got mine at walmart, for my 87. worked great looks great

jayoldschool
12-21-09, 12:47 PM
outsider, the 83 still had the old style shaft mount...

Foster420
12-21-09, 02:25 PM
Ok thanks for clarifying. So if I trim out my dash to fit, what parts do I need to put the head unit in? What install kit do I use?

jayoldschool
12-21-09, 02:34 PM
You don't use an install kit. The metal sleeve slides into the hole you make with the Dremel, then bend the tabs on the back to hold it in place. Then, slide your head unit into the bracket, and add the trim ring. If you need a pic, LMK. Mom's 84 is sitting in my driveway...

Foster420
12-21-09, 02:42 PM
Awesome thanks alot Jay, I'd love some pics if it's not a hassle.

jayoldschool
12-21-09, 08:56 PM
No problem. Just got in, so it will have to be tomorrow.

Bro-Ham
12-21-09, 09:48 PM
I agree with Jay - cut up your old dash once you know for sure you don't want it to look stock. There are days I do wish I had XM, a CD player, and something modern to listen to. But the classic old school unit looks like it belongs so that's the way I roll. Let us know how it turns out! :)

MudAnt
12-22-09, 12:48 AM
This radio could be installed without modifying the dash, and keeping the stock look:

http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/24

I'm thinking about getting one of these, though it's rather expensive. Anyone know the specs of the amp in the stock radio?

Foster420
12-26-09, 09:57 PM
Hey man you ever end up taking any pics?

jayoldschool
12-26-09, 11:51 PM
Sorry, been a little busy with the xmas stuff. Found a pic for you, though:

scroll down and check out the dash pic (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2332286)

Bro-Ham
12-27-09, 11:17 AM
Who is Joe? Jay?! Is that your 81 Fltwd Brghm Cpe?

Foster420
12-27-09, 08:59 PM
Ok so I've got a problem, my head unit arrived at my house so I took the sleeve out the the car to see how much of the dash i would be trimming, the stock radio in the car is wider than the new radio. It's a standard alpine single din radio. Why is the original radio bigger??

I took some quick pics with my phone

http://img691.imageshack.us/i/img0224mt.jpg/

http://img109.imageshack.us/i/img0225bx.jpg/

csbuckn
12-27-09, 11:23 PM
If its bigger, you can probably get a kit

Foster420
12-30-09, 01:27 PM
Anyone??

caddydash85
01-29-10, 03:15 AM
hey Foster I have a 1985 fleetwood brougham delegance 4.1 and my original radio stopped working on me a few days ago. As much as i would love to upgrade I want to keep my baby all original. I wanted to know if you have are willing to sell your radio. It is an exact replacement as mine. Please let me know my email address is cpl_jc99@yahoo.com thanks

caddydash85
01-29-10, 02:16 PM
hey Foster, I HAVE A 1985 FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM DELEGANCE AND MY ORIGINAL RADIO WENT OUT A FEW DAYS AGO. I am looking for an original replacement radio and yours looks just like mine. Would you be interested in selling me your? PLease let me know my email is cpl_jc99@yahoo.com

The-Dullahan
01-31-10, 01:21 AM
Whats up guys, just joined the forum after I bought an 83 fleetwood brougham d'elegance. I've been looking all over for an install kit to put a new head unit in but I can't find one. Can you guys help me out?

My car was a 1987 Brougham (which may have had a different stereo) but I managed to get an install plate to put in a new stereo. Now, if only I could tone down the stereo even more, it looks rather plain now, but still doesn't fit with that interior...

I know that Walmart carries them with their car audio electronics (most of the stuff there SUCKS) but the install plates are alright. I believe they only carry Scosche ones there, but just look for one where your model and year appear on the back.

The-Dullahan
01-31-10, 01:25 AM
Ok so I've got a problem, my head unit arrived at my house so I took the sleeve out the the car to see how much of the dash i would be trimming, the stock radio in the car is wider than the new radio. It's a standard alpine single din radio. Why is the original radio bigger??

I took some quick pics with my phone

http://img691.imageshack.us/i/img0224mt.jpg/

http://img109.imageshack.us/i/img0225bx.jpg/

My apologies, I didn't see this post. Yes, your stereo is certainly bigger (My 1987 was the first year for the style that I have I THINK and am too lazy to go research right now)

Your current stereo is larger than your new one simply because of it's design, you can most likely get a kit for it, I see no reason why not considering how long the Brougham was in production with that stereo style. Check Walmart or BestBuy maybe. Maybe even a few places like Autozone/Advance or whatnot.

1980coupe
02-03-10, 04:44 AM
Yep, he's right. Take out the dash center piece, trace the install sleeve on it, and get to work with the Dremel tool. Then, feel the shame for cutting up that nice Caddy dash.

Don't worry, I've done one too. It is an easy to find piece if you ever want to go back to stock.

I agree....it's a shame to cut up a nice dash, that's why on mine didn't do that, I just installed the new head unit in the glove box and still kept the dash looking OG.