: Hennessey vs Lingenfelter

nsaness
12-20-09, 04:31 PM
OK, I love my 2010 V, but it needs a little more umph.... I see heads,cam, and more boost in my future, but I have no money now since x-mas :(
To hold me over I am shopping for an intake, exhaust, and pulley upgrade. I am ready to buy immediately. Being a 1994 Impala SS guy, I am quite comfortable with Lingenfelter. Being a Viper fan, I am a fan of Hennessey, but have no direct experience with them. Has anyone done the pulley,exhaust, and intake upgrade from either company?

cbloveday
12-20-09, 05:23 PM
I did the Lingenfelter SC pulley upgrade, K&N filter, Corsa Sport Axle back exhaust. Very pleased with product and support. If you go to Lingenfelter, ask for Jeff. I cannot comment on Hennessey.

STD
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/deansSTD.jpg

Unncorrected
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/deansuncorrected.jpg

chopmeat
12-20-09, 05:47 PM
I went to Lingenfelter.
I then went to the Vette Doctors.
I think The Vette Doctors are so much BETTER!!
They got so much more out of my car.

thebigjimsho
12-20-09, 06:33 PM
Being you're in Northern NJ, I'd go to Behe in MD. It's where I'll be taking mine when the time is right...

cbloveday
12-20-09, 06:42 PM
I went to Lingenfelter.
I then went to the Vette Doctors.
I think The Vette Doctors are so much BETTER!!
They got so much more out of my car.

Yes, Vette Doctors have a good rep as well. Part of my reason for Lingenfelter was because it was all done by Lingenfelter through the mail. Also, their reputation is solid.
The removal of SC snout, airbox and ecm, was done by my Cadillac dealership who then mailed to Lingenfelter. Lingenfelter did the mods and mailed it back to dealer for install. When the weather breaks, I may visit their facility for more HP.

I consulted my Caddy dealership before the mod and they were more comfortable with Lingenfelter than other vendors.

If Vette Doctors were local, it would have made my decision more difficult.

Is there a reason that you have excluded Jess from Wait4meperformance? He does alot of work through the mail and internet as well.

My personal choice was between Lingenfelter & Wait4meperformance.
Both companies are several hours drive away from Chicago, so if things went south, I could get the car there inexpensively.

thebigjimsho
12-20-09, 06:48 PM
Lingenfelter has a great reputation for a reason. You can't go wrong with Lingenfelter...

mugatu22
12-21-09, 01:15 AM
Lingenfelter has the history, the reputation, the evidence, the legacy of reliable power. Everyone else (Hennessey included) are imitators. This is from experience, say what you will.

zyx5432
12-21-09, 10:37 AM
So are you saying you would avoid Hennessey or simply making the claim that Lingenfelter has been around longer and has more of a proven track record? I ask because I am considering several options right now and have yet to make up my mind.

Thanks

thebigjimsho
12-21-09, 01:57 PM
Hennessey seems to be doing well right now. But they have a horrid history that will always haunt them somewhat...

But their mods seem to be proven...

asabase
12-21-09, 03:25 PM
Hennessey made quite the spectacle of himself over on the 300C forums a couple years ago. Very unprofessional compared to the other vendors around here.

Krug Ford
12-21-09, 08:54 PM
I have seen many Lingenfelter cars and I would go that route.

dvandentop
12-21-09, 09:46 PM
doesnt wait4me do work for lingenfelter though so can really go wrong with either of them

nsaness
12-21-09, 11:11 PM
I am completely ignorant to Wait4me and never considered them. I will research. I am familiar with many Hennessey customers waiting a long time to get a finished product, but Hennessey seems to be a media darling again, so I wondered if things had changed...

Dear Prof Thank you for your response! I am too much o a newbie to reply to your PM, but I totally agree with your statements. Thank you for helping me.

Vrocks
12-22-09, 12:36 AM
doesnt wait4me do work for lingenfelter though so can really go wrong with either of them

That would be news to me, never thought there was a connection between them. LPE uses the same ATI balancer that Wait4Me offers for the 8.5 and 9" pulleys - Wait4Me uses a different balancer for 9.5" and up (metco Motorsports or innovators West).

If anything, I've heard other vendors aren't happy with Wait4Me because his prices are so good (although the balancers are close in price - LPE vs W4M). I'm 99% sure I'll be going through Wait4Me when I do the head and cam, intake and exhaust upgrades.

Lastly, I know Wait4Me has done work with Hennessey via posts in this forum - ecu / tcu tuning early on, and I think he was involved with programming on the Texas mile shoot out car (CTS-V).

dvandentop
12-22-09, 12:50 AM
That would be news to me, never thought there was a connection between them. LPE uses the same ATI balancer that Wait4Me offers for the 8.5 and 9" pulleys - Wait4Me uses a different balancer for 9.5" and up (metco Motorsports or innovators West).

If anything, I've heard other vendors aren't happy with Wait4Me because his prices are so good (although the balancers are close in price - LPE vs W4M). I'm 99% sure I'll be going through Wait4Me when I do the head and cam, intake and exhaust upgrades.

Lastly, I know Wait4Me has done work with Hennessey via posts in this forum - ecu / tcu tuning early on, and I think he was involved with programming on the Texas mile shoot out car (CTS-V).

oh ok maybe i was confused in that he was just had his v's dynoed at lingenfelter shop since i think he is pretty close.

qictrk
12-22-09, 02:30 AM
I am not happy with wait4me and I have most all of his items. I will post tomorrow on a separate post as to why you may want to reconsider using Jesse. Its getting late. Cecil................

wfo
12-22-09, 07:57 AM
The big Tuners hat are being mentioned here are all good. I wouldn't discount any of them. I'd pick one that is closer to where you live if you as it may be more convenient to deal with later on.

chopmeat
12-22-09, 11:19 AM
I have to say that the Vette Doctors did my Z06 and my CTS V and did an amazing job as compared to Lingenfelter.

After John died, I hear that the only family are cousins, and that they have different owners involved.

Lingenfelter took my car, dented the roof, scratched my console, scratched my door chrome, and put in my Eibachs that were the wrong springs...
They didn't care. These springs made loud noise and I know they drove my car obviously. But they didn't tell me and gave the car back with the springs making all that noise, never calling me about it.

Also, they never gave me an itemized bill showing me exactly what they did.
They were not extremely nice about things either.

Then they actually didn't really do that much when it comes to tuning.
After the pulley change, airbox, isolator coupler, I got everything else fixed on the car and went to The Vette Doctors. They showed me how little Lingenfelter did to the computer. They are so conservative that it didn't make much difference.
When I did the headers the Vette Doctors did a new TUNE that turned this car into a F$$KING ANIMAL!!!
My experience with Lingenfelter was very sh$tty and I would NOT go back.

zyx5432
12-22-09, 05:09 PM
I am still considering Hennessey because they are 30-40 minutes from my house, but I'll keep digging...

nsaness
12-22-09, 10:39 PM
Thanks to all, great feedback. I know that every tuner has some issues, and every tuner has some rabid fans. I appreciate it all. I am going to spend my x-mas bonus now :)

cbloveday
12-22-09, 11:13 PM
Best wishes and hope you have a pleasant experience with whom ever you select.

s4ologist
12-23-09, 12:15 PM
I have had a good experience with Hennessey (intake, headers, 9" pulley, and tune for an increase of over 100RWHP). I live in San Antonio, so being 2 hours away influenced my decision greatly, as I wanted someone relatively local. I have heard good things about Lingenfelter and Vette Doctors as well, but I have no direct experience with them.

cbloveday
12-23-09, 01:31 PM
Ok, I'm gonna say it. I have had 3 heavily modded cars over the past 4 years. I flip fairly often.
First 2006 300c srt8, put 20m in the motor and 10m in cosmetic.
Second was my 2007 M6, spent 25m in upgrades with Dinan, Vorsteiner, and Eisenmann.
Now the 2009 V, just getting started. I am a discerning car enthusiast and research heavily before buying.

I chose Lingenfelter and have never experienced better customer support or product.
One thing that must be remembered, if you get aggressive with the tune, what good is the car if it grenades?
My goal is to get the most hp with reliability and longevity. I want me and my car to be treated with respect.
I have gotten that through Lingenfelter at a fair price. One other thing, consider resale value when selecting a vendor.
Lingenfelter cars retain their value in the resale market.
That is all.

chopmeat
12-23-09, 09:09 PM
If anybody deals with Lingenfelter talk to Tim.
He's been there for years and the best one to deal with.
They didn't offer any warranty for the CTS V either which they have for many other packages.

need4speedctsv
12-23-09, 11:55 PM
I also chose Lingenfelter. I had them do the 630HP package thru the mail, dealer installed, and the car runs flawless.
Maybe Hennesey cars make more power but I am happy and it seems very reliable and that is what I am after.
Now if I could just get the tires to hookup! :)

mugatu22
01-05-10, 05:22 AM
Hennessey made quite the spectacle of himself over on the 300C forums a couple years ago. Very unprofessional compared to the other vendors around here.

A leopard never changes his spots, as they say. Hennessey makes "spectacles" on a regular basis, it's who he is and it's his attitude, he can't help it. Living in Houston for 10 years and meeting the guy will turn almost anyone into a Lingenfelter fan over Hennessey. I find it impossible to give my hard earned money to someone like Hennessey, in spite of the mods/upgrades he offers.

Dave Golder
01-10-10, 01:12 PM
A leopard never changes his spots, as they say. Hennessey makes "spectacles" on a regular basis, it's who he is and it's his attitude, he can't help it. Living in Houston for 10 years and meeting the guy will turn almost anyone into a Lingenfelter fan over Hennessey. I find it impossible to give my hard earned money to someone like Hennessey, in spite of the mods/upgrades he offers.

Hennessey Performance Partners For
Significant Expansion for 2010

HPE Teams with C&D Performance to Expand Operations

Click here to download this Press Release in PDF format

July 14, 2009

SEALY, TX – Hennessey Performance Engineering (HPE) today announced it has joined forces with California-based C&D Performance. The new partnership will bring together HPE, Lonestar Motorsports Park and the newly established Tuner School—all under the same management group. Effective immediately, C&D Performance CEO Don Goldman assumes the role as CEO of HPE, Tuner School and Lonestar who will be tasked with handling the companies’ business operations. HPE founder, John Hennessey, will remain President of HPE with focused interest on new product design, development and marketing.

“This is a tremendous opportunity for HPE, Tuner School and Lonestar”, said John Hennessey. “While other companies in the automotive business have substantially cut back or gone out of business, HPE has been experiencing growth with all three of our companies. The new partnership gives us the additional resources and talent needed to better meet the needs of our clients as well as to substantially expand our operations. Don’s strong track record in business growth will give us the depth in management that is needed to move our companies to the next level.”

To meet HPE’s growing needs, improvements will soon include:

Hennessey Performance Engineering
• Increasing main HPE facility from 24,000 square feet to 30,000 square feet
• Addition of an all-wheel-drive chassis dynamometer
• Addition of a 4-wheel suspension alignment machine
• Increased production staff
• Increased parts inventory
• Increased production capacity
• Increased focus on customer satisfaction

Lonestar Motorsports Park
• Addition of a 1.1-mile road race course linked to existing ¼-mile dragstrip
• Addition of a dedicated 0.8-mile karting track

Tuner School
• Addition of nationally recognized automotive experts as adjunct instructors to expand curriculum, offer career guidance and teach driving/testing techniques
• Full utilization of Lonestar Motorsports Park
• Hands-on education utilizing both RWD and AWD chassis dynamometers
• Increased classroom size and larger workshop space within the HPE facility

About Hennessey Performance Engineering
HPE is one of the premiere automotive aftermarket tuners in the world. The company, founded by John and Hope Hennessey, builds some of the world’s fastest and most powerful sports cars, musclecars and sport-utility vehicles that have been praised by the automotive media as well as have set numerous world first’s and/or world records. HPE is located at Lonestar Motorsports Park in Sealy, Texas (just West of Houston, Texas).

About Lonestar Motorsports Park
Lonestar operates a ¼-mile dragstrip and is situated on 143 acres adjacent to Interstate 10 in Sealy, Texas (45 minutes from Houston and 90 minutes from Austin). HPE and Tuner School are located on the Lonestar campus and both companies use the track facility to test vehicles and instruct Tuner School students.

About Tuner School
Tuner School is the world’s first school dedicated to teaching the fundamental skills of automotive aftermarket high-performance tuning. Located on the Lonestar campus, the 14 week Tuner School program is conducted at the HPE facility 3 times per year (Fall, Spring and Summer sessions). Tuner School students learn in three real world classrooms: The HPE R&D facility, chassis dynamometer (for engine tuning and testing) along with at the ¼-mile dragstrip.