: GMPP and Borla exhaust owners - question

pj96ss
12-20-09, 10:42 AM
I installed the GMPP exhaust Friday night and have a couple of questions. First, has anyone had their system welded up instead of using the clamps? Second, how far does/supposed the rear bumper facia extend past the tips? I've got plenty of clearance from the tips all around the bumper (the tips are perfectly centered in the openings) but just wondering about the tips being tucked under the facia just a bit. My tips are both about 1/2 to 5/8 back under the facia. I've read on the forum about someones bumper melting due to the exhaust. I had a Borla exhaust on my 96 Impala SS that I used to have with no problems but I don't remember if the tips stuck slightly out past the bumper facia or not. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet with all the snow that just came down Friday night but idling in the garage it sounds great. Has anyone gotten and installed the 'fix' that Borla says they have for taking care of the drone? Not sure if it's a weld on or slip on fix. All that Borla said was that it's easier to install than uninstall.

Thanks,
P.J.

pj96ss
12-21-09, 01:50 PM
Can someone measure the overhang of the stock exhaust please?

Thanks,
P.J.

silverws6ta
12-22-09, 01:05 AM
Can someone measure the overhang of the stock exhaust please?

Thanks,
P.J.

I'll try to tomorrow -- go to my photobucket and you can get a general idea of mine -- its bolted on; username: silverws6ta.

pj96ss
12-23-09, 08:59 AM
Anyone????

CIWS
12-23-09, 01:10 PM
I don't have the stock exhaust on or I would. I purchased the GM Authorized from the dealership a few months after getting the car and had them install it.

silverws6ta
12-23-09, 06:47 PM
I don't have the stock exhaust on or I would. I purchased the GM Authorized from the dealership a few months after getting the car and had them install it.

I had a senior moment.. just noticed he asked for STOCK exhaust.. :thepan:

CIWS
12-23-09, 08:59 PM
I think he was originally asking about the GMPP, but then also wanted to know about stock. Could be wrong though.

pj96ss
12-23-09, 10:13 PM
I'm looking for both. I really don't want to re-install the stock exhaust in order to take a measurement. I also don't want to damage the rear bumper if it's wrong. Plus, it'd be nice to know if anyone has had the GMPP/Borla welded up vs just clamped. I know that there are a few of you that installed Borla's drone fix. Any comments about that as well?

Thanks,
P.J.

LITTLEELVISDAN
12-23-09, 11:02 PM
Stock exhaust is FLUSH if not inset 1/4 inch with the bumper cover at the very bottom.

Jpjr
12-31-09, 07:37 PM
Dude, the exhaust overhang is completely a function of the install. The kit comes in pieces in order to fit into a box. Each pieces slips over the next and there is a few inches on each pipe that can be adjusted for fitment. If your installer used too much slack they may hang out a bit... that doesn't mean that is bad it is just the way it was installed. The point is that as long as it looks good to you and is not leaking (you could tell if it was sound would be raspy and annoying) you are totally fine. If you think the tips are out too far you can jack the car up, get a 15mm socket (or something close to that) and loosen the clamp that connects the rear pipes, and then push the slip fit in a bit to shorten the pipe and it will tuck in with less overhang past the bumper. You may need a rubber mallet to bang the pipe loose from the clamp, but since this was a recent install I doubt that would be necessary.

BTW, congrats on the GMPP Borla purchase. Borla in my opinion is the absolute best aftermarket exhaust company. Their kits use T304 stainless steel (the thickest in the biz) and will never ever rust. Plus the sound is great on the V, it takes a while to fill out though. I was disappointed at first with the sound and then after a few hundred miles it really started to rumble. Nothing obnoxious just a real nice idle.

As far as the drone fix I was not aware there was one but I don't recommend bothering with any fix the bottom line is that aftermarket exhuasts drone a bit. I personally don't think the drone is bad in the V because of the high build quality of the car you shut the windows and the noise goes down significantly, way more than in my V1 or V2. (I also owned the STS-V until this Fall).

I hope this helps.

silverws6ta
12-31-09, 07:54 PM
BTW, congrats on the GMPP Borla purchase. Borla in my opinion is the absolute best aftermarket exhaust company. Their kits use T304 stainless steel (the thickest in the biz) and will never ever rust. Plus the sound is great on the V, it takes a while to fill out though. I was disappointed at first with the sound and then after a few hundred miles it really started to rumble. Nothing obnoxious just a real nice idle.

As far as the drone fix I was not aware there was one but I don't recommend bothering with any fix the bottom line is that aftermarket exhuasts drone a bit. I personally don't think the drone is bad in the V because of the high build quality of the car you shut the windows and the noise goes down significantly, way more than in my V1 or V2. (I also owned the STS-V until this Fall).

I hope this helps.

Agreed x2 -- The Borla/GMPP system needs to go through 'breakin' for several hundred miles I noticed.. I have ZERO complaints with mine.. it always has a great *controlled* tone -- Mine is bolted, and if I remember there were probably a total of 12 adjustment points on it when installing..

My g/f says it reminds her of how her G35 sounded from inside.. Maybe but much better on the outside!

csf
01-03-10, 01:47 PM
I'm considering buying the GMPP/Borla exhaust (and then possibly the D3 ECU upgrade and intake) and having my dealer install it. Is there a place online I should order the exhaust from, or just have the dealer order it for me as they don't stock it ? Thanks. Craig

CIWS
01-03-10, 02:20 PM
I'm considering buying the GMPP/Borla exhaust (and then possibly the D3 ECU upgrade and intake) and having my dealer install it. Is there a place online I should order the exhaust from, or just have the dealer order it for me as they don't stock it ? Thanks. Craig

Chances are your dealership will be more expensive to get the exhaust from, I think I paid 1400-500.00 installed. In my case though because it's GMPP and installed by them it's part of the car and its warranty. However you can almost certainly order it for cheaper (Check with Luke at Lindsay Cadillac (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/lindsay-cadillac/) on here) and have it installed by a shop for cheaper. Just depends upon how you want to handle your particular situation.

pj96ss
01-03-10, 04:18 PM
Luke at Lindsay was around $1000 plus shipping. I got a local Chevy dealer that is going out to business to order me the exhaust for under $900 plus tax no shipping. I have a 4 post lift so installation was a total of 30 minutes start to finish.

P.J.

pj96ss
01-04-10, 01:30 PM
I had emailed Borla last week (they were closed for the holidays) and got an email today that they were sending me the 'fix' for the drone. I'll try and post pictures of the 'fix' when I get the parts. It was a no questions asked deal. I just emailed them saying that I installed the 140178 and it has drones at specific rpms. I included my mailing address and bam. Parts are in the mail. I've read that there is at least 1 person here (porkfarm) that may have installed these. I don't have permissions yet to pm him so I haven't heard what it's like with the 'fix'. I'm going to wait a few hundred miles before I do anything. It's just nice knowing that it the 'fix' does work with no performance loss and stops some of the drone, I don't have to wait to get the parts.

P.J.

gedupont
04-17-10, 12:52 PM
So what were the final results for Borla's drone fix?